Couples | News | Relationships

Gay Couple Talks About Their 6 Decades of Commitment and Love: VIDEO

Devotion2

Here's your MUST-WATCH video for Friday.

This is the first short film created for THE DEVOTION PROJECT, featuring William I. Campbell and John V. Hilton who met in the 1950's and have been together for 7 decades. The Devotion Project is an ongoing series of films documenting LGBT couples and the love they share.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Devotion3

Antony Osso explains the backstory behind his short film series THE DEVOTION PROJECT:

Comments

1. Okay I'm by no means a weeper but this has me in a mushy puddle of tears. They were very lucky to have found each other so early in life.

Posted by: sparks | Nov 18, 2011 10:07:53 AM

2. Lovely, simply lovely, don't we all wish for this kind of love .

Posted by: Michael Catlin | Nov 18, 2011 10:16:01 AM

3. How can anyone in their right mind question the love of two people like this who clearly devoted their lives to each other? I can only hope my relationship of 25 years can live up to these two men.

Posted by: XbonzHD | Nov 18, 2011 10:31:35 AM

4. Videos like these are ones that should go viral in the gay community.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Nov 18, 2011 10:35:14 AM

5. What a beautiful piece. These two lived a life together that many of us can only aspire to. Thank you Antony Osso for this wonderful film!

Posted by: Steve in DC | Nov 18, 2011 10:45:05 AM

6. Beautiful. Simply Beautiful.

Posted by: Robbie | Nov 18, 2011 10:47:42 AM

7. I wonder which one cheated first?

Posted by: Jamie | Nov 18, 2011 10:48:11 AM

8. Oh, this is soo moving. I am just so moved by how simple and profound their devotion and love and care for one another played out over their years together. The only thing that differentiates their committment and love from my parents is that they were two men. What an amazing story and so well told. Thank you to the film makers for this gift.

Posted by: too boot | Nov 18, 2011 11:08:07 AM

9. That was awesome. Not just LGBT people need to see this but those opposed to marriage equality. I mean, just compare this couple to Newt Gingrich's marital history, yet he feels able to sit in judgment?

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 18, 2011 11:11:00 AM

10. I burst into tears near the end of this remarkable and touching video. I lost my husband Ric to pulmonary fibrosis after 45 wonderful years together, so I completely connected with the unconditional love and devotion that Bill and John shared in the same way as we did.

More videos like this need to be made, to show how intense, passionate and enduring our relationships can be.

Posted by: Paul Weidig | Nov 18, 2011 11:24:21 AM

11. "I wonder which one cheated first."

Seriously?

Anyway, this was beautifully shot and will hopefully inspire a new generation of gay people. This might have been due to their old age, but they didn't seem to have an axe to grind against society like so many other gay men I know (myself included). They seem to have grasped from an early age that their love and devotion was all that truly mattered and no amount of Falwell, Robertson or Bryant could stop them.

Posted by: Kyle | Nov 18, 2011 11:39:02 AM

12. You can always tell folks who are miserable, because they spread misery. This couple is AMAZING! I only hope my partner and I are still like this in 20 years.

Posted by: Dr. Verdon Coleman | Nov 18, 2011 11:41:32 AM

13. @SPARKS: I agree.
    This has made me cry.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 18, 2011 11:56:44 AM

14. They look so feminine and limp-wristed in that pic so their love doesn't count.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 18, 2011 12:06:22 PM

15. If you're not moved by this, you're not human.

Posted by: Ishaq | Nov 18, 2011 12:15:33 PM

16. Beautiful and inspiring.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 18, 2011 12:32:12 PM

17. @ RICK : Huh ?
    "Their love doesn't count."
    Not count to whom?
    "Limp wristed" ?

Dude, are you serious ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 18, 2011 12:51:08 PM

18. M T E

Posted by: mcNnyc | Nov 18, 2011 12:53:58 PM

19. @jamie: Although your comment's intent is most likely vapid and bitter, it did make me think. As in most relationships, undoubtedly there may have been an instance of infidelity, after all we're all human.

But this video shows that - much like my own relationship of 17 years - a couple can be wholly devoted to each other, no matter WHAT comes along. And that's what I'm taking from it, regardless.

Very, very sweet vid, very blessed couple.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 18, 2011 1:01:08 PM

20. There are many, many facets to every type of intimate relationship, but ultimately the core of each is simple: Love.

Posted by: KPC | Nov 18, 2011 1:31:55 PM

21. Hopefully this film makes it into the "shorts' categories of all the GLBT and straight-identified film festivals all over the world. A very powerful and beautiful message to be told and heard more than ever in this homo-unfriendly world.

Posted by: SFShawn | Nov 18, 2011 1:52:40 PM

22. I hope thats my husband and I in another 50 years, and I teared up at the end too.

Posted by: Akula | Nov 18, 2011 1:53:01 PM

23. What a wonderful couple. Deepest condolences to John.

Posted by: Kristen from MA | Nov 18, 2011 2:37:00 PM

24. Truly inspiring.

Posted by: Howard | Nov 18, 2011 4:42:16 PM

25. that was truly beautiful. Five minutes I'm still teary eyed.

Posted by: dawn | Nov 18, 2011 6:03:31 PM