Music | Music Video | News

Young Gay Lust and a First Kiss: VIDEO

Firsttime

Out gay musical artist Matt Fishel chronicles young lust and nostalgia in his new video for his single "The First Time"

The video was shot in Buenos Aires, Argentina in the summer and directed by movie director Alexis Dos Santos (Glue, Unmade Beds).

Fishel's debut album is expected in early 2012. "It's an alternative rock album that deals with all sorts of themes and issues surrounding gay life, relationships and experiences."

Matt's rep tells us: "Matt's vision has always been to tell his stories in a candid and truthful way, to be honest and open about sexuality and to hopefully reach out to and inspire people who may be going through a tough time or who perhaps haven't heard songs about the topics he writes about in this particular genre of music."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Okay song, and the video starts out lovely and then quickly takes a wrong turn into stealing. It would have been much better as a love story without the weirdness.

Posted by: Chip | Nov 7, 2011 9:54:03 AM

2. Mediocre song; dreadful video.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 7, 2011 10:14:49 AM

3. Portraying something in a video does not automatically constitute endorsement of it. The fact is, people do steal things. It always has been and always will be a fact of life. So just calm down.

Posted by: Andy | Nov 7, 2011 10:25:22 AM

4. Well I love this! I think it's unique & really touching. Great song. Thanks for posting!

Posted by: Dave Muller | Nov 7, 2011 10:30:36 AM

5. Well I loved it! Brought me back 32 years, rolling around under the Red Woods on the Berkeley campus with Eric, wrestling turning into kissing.

(About the shop-lifting -- lay-off, they're kids sneaking a couple of bears. Weekly I took my grandmother grocery shopping, and weekly a 6-pack wound its way to my dorm room. We all found ways for a beer or two. The kid here says he wants his story to be candid, and taking alcohol is being candid.)

Posted by: Mike in Asheville | Nov 7, 2011 10:32:05 AM

6. I like the video and the music. Reminds me of when I was this age living near the beach in Southern California, always with my best friend (we were in love but couldn't describe it and didn't identify as gay). Yes, sometimes we stole booze since we couldn't buy it. We'd get it any way we could. I'm not condoning theft, but it's really not that big a deal. Nice video that reflects a different reality of gay kids, other than the usual stuff we see. I relate to this.

Posted by: Luis | Nov 7, 2011 10:58:59 AM

7. I love this song! Wish we could find the lyrics

Posted by: bgk | Nov 7, 2011 11:07:10 AM

8. i really like this video and song it puts a smile on my face .... memories of times when it was all fun and games !

Posted by: xael | Nov 7, 2011 11:42:45 AM

9. awesome video. potentially one of the worst songs i've heard all month. period.

Posted by: Joe | Nov 7, 2011 12:55:53 PM

10. truly amazing song and beautiful video, can't get enough. buying my copy now

Posted by: JJElk | Nov 7, 2011 1:15:54 PM

11. Apparently people think portraying gay characters as petty criminals, for absolutely no reason—and in contradiction to the rest of the "plot"—is a good thing. The music was middling at best and the video was crap. When I got to Youtube I saw there were others associated with the producers and had intended to watch them as well, but after seeing this one just closed the page with no interest. And, by the way, given how important it is to defend the rights of LGBT people, we shouldn't easily dismiss the violation of other people's right even if they are shop owners, and given that it made two gay kids look like little creeps in the process, it is doubly bad.

Posted by: cls | Nov 7, 2011 1:19:19 PM

12. Horrifically maudlin and treacly song, but cool video.

Posted by: Hu Jintao | Nov 7, 2011 1:24:15 PM

13. there will be letters if this ever runs on US cable.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 7, 2011 2:19:05 PM

14. It reminds me of when they would let slip a gay themed movie or two at 1am on a non-network TV channel. You'd be like "wait-a-minute!" watching it unfold.

Posted by: anon | Nov 7, 2011 6:11:26 PM

15. I see no contradiction between shoplifting and the other adolescent behaviour portrayed in the video. I also disagree with portraying gay people as any more or less moral than anyone else. Didn't we pass that 'positive media representation only' stage over thirty years ago?

BKG: The lyrics are here -- http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=265944023451977

Posted by: Harlequin | Nov 11, 2011 7:43:37 AM

16. Sweet video. But not what Americans are used to seeing (non-stereotypical gays, adolescents,stealing stuff, etc.). For us, the rest of the world, it's nice to watch.

Posted by: David | Mar 22, 2013 10:56:12 AM