Discrimination | Florida | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lesbian Couple 'Humiliated' at Florida DMV: VIDEO

Floridadmv

Married couple Rachel and Charlotte Lambert-Jolley were reminded what inequality feels like during a recent trip to the DMV in Florida.

"You are five feet away from the people in the DMV and everyone starts whispering and talking," Charlotte explained, "it was uncomfortable."

"To have multiple people tell you, 'It's fine, it's fine,' [then] you go in there and think you are good, then boom!  It's a slap in the face, pretty much," Rachel said.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via jezebel)

Comments

1. A stark reminder of just what all LGBT citizens deal with on a daily basis, in terms of governmental inequality. Such a shame. It's stories such as this that make me and should make all of us as motivated as can be to make sure we demand and acquire the full legal equality we're entitled to, and that we deserve.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 3, 2011 11:47:35 AM

2. So, just a peeve, I cant watch that video, So this line item story has zero info for me... Were they like getting a marriage license? or like changing the last name to the same last name? Did someone get punched?

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 3, 2011 11:53:26 AM

3. They got married in another state, hyphenated their names and then wanted new driver's licenses. They were initially told "no problem", but then a DMV employee made a fuss, which drew the attention of other customers who reacted like you'd expect.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 3, 2011 11:57:45 AM

4. Even in California when it was legal for same-sex couples to marry, DMV required (and still does) a legal name change issued by the court to give you an ID card in a new name. My husband and I spent well over $1,000 in court fees to change his last name to reflect mine.

Posted by: Jay | Nov 3, 2011 12:13:39 PM

5. My husband and I were able to get our names changed without court order back in the late '90s, prior to our legal marriage. It may have helped that we were hyphenating our last names. It certainly helped that we were here in Oakland.

We've told our sons that, based on our experience, they'll be spelling out their last name over the telephone for years.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 3, 2011 12:33:26 PM

6. I agree with a previous poster. I'm not sure why the people were whispering in the first place. Although I wouldn't doubt they would have experienced homophobia, are we sure in this case? Very strange.

Posted by: terry | Nov 3, 2011 12:34:20 PM

7. The christians have been very busy in Florida, Texas, Colorado and elsewhere the last couple weeks. What, after all, would a christian be without hate?

Posted by: Danny | Nov 3, 2011 1:34:22 PM

8. It may not be outwardly homophobic, but it's the questions and raised eyes that makes this situation a terrible one to experience. It's a feeling of not belonging, like you and your love for your partner isn't valid. Our basic existence being in debate, it's dehumanizing, really. It's homophobic because straights do not have to deal with this, and the sole reason we do, is because of our sexual orientation.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 3, 2011 1:59:32 PM

9. HERE WE GO AGAIN. FLORIDA DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SAME SEX MARRIAGE. YOU GAIN OTHING BY MAKING AN ISSUE OF THIS. IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR MARRIAGE GO SOMEWHERE WHERE THEY ARE DELIGHTED TO RECOGNIZE YOUR STATUS. SEEMS TO ME THAT, UNLESS YOU HAVE A TRULY HIGH POWERED JOB THAT CAN'T BE RELACED ELSEWHERE, WHY LIVE WHERE YOU ARE NOT WANTED?

Posted by: KURT QUINTON | Nov 3, 2011 2:11:06 PM

10. I hardly see the point of posting this story. This happens every day in almost every state. You might as well say that Earth is still spinning.

Side note: people really still post in all caps? Newsflash: it's annoying. Your words should stand on their own.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 3, 2011 2:26:48 PM

11. The point is that we as legal citizens of this country should not have to jump through any more hoops to accomplish these "house keeping" chores than anyone else. FIGHT to be treated equal. Make a scene when you are treated differently otherwise we are perceived as weak and powerless. I spent 20+ years defending the rights of all citizens and I am damned well not going to let my rights be diminished.

Posted by: major707 | Nov 3, 2011 3:45:50 PM

12. They are a super gorgeous couple. Side note: I think I can tell who's the top.

Posted by: Moses | Nov 3, 2011 3:51:28 PM

13. In 2008, Amendment 2 altered the Florida Constitution and created a legal nightmare for those of us living here. Instead of just stating that marriage is only one man and one woman, it added, "no other legal union that is treated as marriage or the substantial equivalent thereof shall be valid or recognized".

What this Amendment did was effectively place things like domestic parternships in question. I doubt these DMV workers had Constitutional issues on their minds. Still, until challenged in court, the truth is that governmental acknowledgement of a domestic partnership (or gay marriage of another state) in Florida is against the law.

Posted by: alex | Nov 3, 2011 3:58:30 PM

14. how is this equality under the Constitution?

Posted by: Chris | Nov 3, 2011 5:27:18 PM

15. Thank you for posting the story!

Posted by: Charlotte | Nov 3, 2011 6:15:37 PM

16. @Kurt--this is America honey, and i can live anywhere i want to! Im sure Rosa Parks wasnt "wanted" when she refused to give up her seat, but we all know how that ended. Bigotry will not stand forever...even in backwards/teabagger places like Florida! Cheers!

Posted by: Chicklets | Nov 3, 2011 7:12:44 PM

17. as a DMV employee in Colorado, I can say that this is no surprise, at least by Colorado standards...Colorado, like Florida, does not recognize same-sex marriages from other states. it sucks, it's discriminatory, but it's policy and statute, and we have to follow procedure until it's changed (at least if we still want to keep our jobs). so much of this job is policy and statute, and it won't change until same-sex marriage is recognized in all 50 states. None of this is surprising. you might as well post a video like this with an accompanying headline "IN OTHER NEWS, WATER IS STILL WET"

Posted by: NightfallCub | Nov 3, 2011 11:01:32 PM

18. Florida: The deep south, dimpled chad state, and the former home of Anita Bryant.

Posted by: FlexSF | Nov 4, 2011 9:21:37 AM

19. Thank u for your sharing.Your blog has a unique feature that can make the people who reads become happy.After reading your blog,I feel happy.linmei/comment201111

Posted by: vans shoes | Nov 8, 2011 1:44:13 AM

20. Very happy to see your article, I am very much to like and agree with your point

of view. Thank you for sharing. linmei/comment201111

Posted by: Pandora Jewellery | Nov 9, 2011 10:38:54 PM

21. The kindness of things. I do not know what I would do, if I did not find such a theme. I can see at this moment, my future. Thank you very much reliable and results-oriented guidance.linmei/comment201111

Posted by: Pandora Jewellery | Nov 13, 2011 4:15:48 AM

22. Very happy to see your article, I am very much to like and agree with your point of view. Thank you for sharing. linmei/comment201111

Posted by: vans shoes | Nov 24, 2011 8:34:07 PM

23. I can’t agree more this is a mighty thoughtfully written story, thank you for writing it.linmei/comment201111

Posted by: cheapest polo | Nov 25, 2011 8:27:34 PM

24. Superb work! This info will be very useful for a lot of people. I love the blog very much. Thanks for sharing the info guys. Thanks! linmei/comment201112

Posted by: UGG Boots Outlet | Dec 6, 2011 9:55:03 PM

25. That you are consequently nice! I just adore realising stunning along with creative giveaways this way. They will really jazz up my own morning, many thanks greatly. liulipingcomment201204

Posted by: oakley glasses | Apr 8, 2012 9:41:30 PM