Brett Ratner | Gay Slurs | News

Here's the Brett Ratner 'Rehearsal's for Fags' VIDEO

Ratnerrehearsal

Yesterday, Brett Ratner issued a lame apology after stunning a Tower Heist screening audience on Friday night by using an anti-gay slur during a question and answer session.

RatnerAfter being asked what rehearsals are like, Ratner declared "rehearsal's for fags" and elicited a large nervous laugh from the audience.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ratner issued an apology: “I apologize for any offense my remarks caused. It was a dumb way of expressing myself. Everyone who knows me knows that I don’t have a prejudiced bone in my body. But as a storyteller I should have been much more thoughtful about the power of language and my choice of words.”

GLAAD said they were calling for more action than an apology. Ratner is a producer on the Oscars. Would the Academy have shown him the door already had this been a racial slur instead?

UPDATE: Apparently The Academy won't be taking action, according to a response from AMPAS president Tom Sherak to Deadline.

But Sherak made it crystal clear that another indiscreet comment will not be tolerated. “His remarks were inappropriate,” Sherak told Deadline. “He said it best in his apology, that his comments were dumb and insensitive. When you think of our community, it went against all the beliefs of the creative community we represent. He knew it was wrong and he issued that response as quickly as any human being ever has. The bottom line is, this won’t and can’t happen again. It will not happen again. He apologized and we will move forward. How do I know this? I’ve known this man for a very long time. He has many friends who are members of the gay and lesbian community. The apology he gave I truly believe comes from his heart. If I didn’t believe it, I would do something about it. This is about integrity and honoring the Academy Awards, but we all make mistakes and I believe he didn’t mean it.”

Comments

1. Sadly, the laughter didn't seem all that nervous, and I think I even heard clapping. What a pig.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 8, 2011 10:44:39 AM

2. Not a prejudiced bone in his body, but that slur just rolled off his tongue sooooo easily. What a lying, phony, arrogant, POS.

Posted by: gidget | Nov 8, 2011 10:50:48 AM

3. People are way to sensitive. Don't really care for this guy but i'm not going to pretend I am offended by what he said. I think sometimes people are offended by things because they want to be offended.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 8, 2011 10:54:01 AM

4. @Ted..... You are sooo right. What he said wasn't the least bit offensive. He was just trying to make the point that only "lesser" people need to rehearse. And, the best way he could come up with to make that point was to use the term "fag" because everyone knows that fags are "lesser".

WTF is wrong with you. He could have just said rehearsing is for actors without talent or lacking in experience. But, no, he had to say "fags".

The statement was meant to degrade actors who rehearse. And, we all know the best way to degrade someone is to call them a fag, right!!!!

Posted by: Tim NC | Nov 8, 2011 11:01:11 AM

5. So I think we're going to need to put some pressure on the Academy, and the time to do it is NOW.

Posted by: Jenn | Nov 8, 2011 11:13:10 AM

6. @TIM NC...Ever heard of the phrase..."Sticks and Stones..." Seriously. Grow up. Stop wearing your feelings on your sleeve.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 8, 2011 11:14:11 AM

7. And he totally effed up the X-men trilogy. And it was a "fag" who made the first two so good. So, I think MORE preparation on his part should be encouraged.

Posted by: Dallas | Nov 8, 2011 11:15:49 AM

8. How many times do we have to say it? If he said, "cleaning toilets is for n-words," his career would be over.

It's the same thing, but it's still OK to say "fags" because gay people are less deserving of basic respect.

This should be a career ending event.

Posted by: Trev | Nov 8, 2011 11:18:04 AM

9. @Ted... yes, I've heard the phrase "sticks and stones..." that many parents parrot to their children. It's a nice theory that "names will never hurt you". But, we all know that in practice, it's not true. Degrading words and language do hurt. Ask the professionals. Bullying is done with words more frequently than with physical actions. Emotional abuse, done with words, is a very effective tool to keep people in line. Continual casual use of this type of language in the public discourse continues to validate anti-gay opinions of the LGBT community by continuing to refer to the community as being made up of those who are "less than".

Posted by: Tim NC | Nov 8, 2011 11:23:22 AM

10. THE TRUTH IS THAT RATNER IS A HOMOPHOBE OF THE FIRST ORDER. B O Y C O T T the Oscars and his lousy movie. B O Y C O T T. If you have an ounce of self-respect as gay men, boycott this bigot.

Posted by: dancobbb | Nov 8, 2011 11:25:41 AM

11. @TREV: +1000

The guy is/always has been/always will be a pig and should not be supported.

Ditto for for his champion choice for Academy host: Eddie "Homophobe" Murphy.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Nov 8, 2011 11:27:10 AM

12. Consider the source!

Posted by: dancobbb | Nov 8, 2011 11:31:35 AM

13. Would someone please do the world a favor and off this man!?!

Posted by: dancobbb | Nov 8, 2011 11:32:34 AM

14. In 1990 I was part of an organizing group called "Hollywood Homophobia". We were tired of being depicted entirely in a negative light in movies. Some of you may not remember how awful it was but being homosexual in movies meant something horrible. We targeted the Oscars, movies and this was the turning point for Hollywood. They were VERY responsive. It was at the general assembly of the DGA on Sunset that provided the moment of change we enjoy to this day. I am personally VERY honored and VERY proud to of been a part of this. It was Gene Momberger, AKA Mr. Mom, who was the conceiver of this movement. Sadly he died from AIDS some time ago. We owe a lot to Mr. Mom and what he began. I became active in politics after being attacked by men with baseball bats and chains on Santa Monica BLVD in West Hollywood. When I was released from the hospital I was motivated to NEVER, EVER be silent again. The Academy needs to dump this guy. And sorry to the producers of this movie but no gay person should see this movie and I think it is in our best interest to ask others not to also. To those here who are not that offended and think we should let it pass. That is just what we were told when the Hollywood Homophobia campaign was born. It changed everything and had we listened to those who said let it all go we might be where we were 20 years ago or worse. Don’t let down Mr. MOM and don’t let down those of us who have been beaten in the street fighting because you might feel uncomfortable. Stand up, speak up, call the Academy and don’t go see this movie. Don’t appease. I am sure he is sorry but let’s make sure he knows we mean business.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | Nov 8, 2011 11:46:06 AM

15. its not that hard to not be an idiot.

straight people who really do have people that they love that just happen to be gay, don't go around spewing homophobic slurs...
    it takes an effort to be offensive.

at some point self-preservation must kick in even among the stupid... you certainly wouldn't see this pos spouting racial or anti-semitic slurs as a knee-jerk reaction to a simple question. unless he really wanted to end his career.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Nov 8, 2011 11:48:39 AM

16. Let's be clear here. The N word and Fag are not equal to each other. This is not something you can argue. The word Fag does not carry the history as the N word. Please stop equating black civil rights to gay civil rights in America. It's not the same thing.

Posted by: JAZ | Nov 8, 2011 11:49:49 AM

17. @Jaz - Shut up you fag.

Posted by: Joe | Nov 8, 2011 11:55:29 AM

18. Ted - are you serious-have you been asleep for the past decade? Tons of teen suicides are caused by those 'words (that) will never hurt me'. Words do hurt and especially when you are just forming your self image. What's wrong with you? 'Sticks and stones' indeed - what are you, 13?

Posted by: jhr459 | Nov 8, 2011 11:56:46 AM

19. Don't forget that this pig is good friends with Whoriah Carey and has directed many videos for her, so make sure not to buy anything by fellow pig Whoriah either.

Posted by: Fat Pig | Nov 8, 2011 12:50:27 PM

20. As if I were going to watch the Oscars anyway with closet case Eddie Murphy as the host!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 8, 2011 12:52:47 PM

21. Although the Academy's words in response to Brett Ratner's moronic remarks seem comforting, bear in mind this is the same organization that let remarks from Ernest Borgnine and Tony Curtis stand when "Brokeback Mountain" was denied the Oscar for Best Picture. They thought the movie was disgusting and wouldn't be caught dead seeing it. It is now common knowledge that Brokeback Mountain lost the Oscar because of the not-so latent homophobia in Hollywood. Members of the Academy wouldn't even go see the movie!

As for a boycott, that should've been initiated back in 2006, after those diastrous awards. But back then the gay community bent over backwards trying to believe a mediocre piece of crap like Crash could be considered a superior movie to the work of art that is Brokeback Mountain.

I felt then, and still feel, that people like Brett Ratner are not the exception, but the rule in Hollywood and that the Academy is an enabler of homophobia.

Posted by: Vince | Nov 8, 2011 12:58:16 PM

22. Jaz,

Gay people have been around as long as black people. Back in the days when they were hanging black people, if those who were hanging blacks knew you would gay, do you think for one minute, you would not be hanging right along side the black people?

To my knowledge, no one has ever tried to compare black people to gay people, but you can ABSOLUTELY compare (and argue) the fight for civil rights between blacks and gays are the same. The words may have changed, and the ways in which these two groups have been discriminated against may change. But, throughout history, gay people have been every bit as much hated and persecuted as any group of people.

Next I guess you want to say their were no gays gassed in the holocaust.

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Nov 8, 2011 12:59:44 PM

23. I'm still pissed off at the Oscars over Brokeback Mountain, so this years choice Bigot Ratner and Bigot Eddie Murphy only ensures that I won't be watching.

Posted by: Wayne | Nov 8, 2011 1:00:14 PM

24. What can I say? I will not watch the Oscars this year.

Hollywood is anti-gay and proud of it I guess. F*** them. Typical, considering the shi**y state of gay rights in this country. They should be ashamed of themselves; I'm ashamed of them.

I've said it before: Things are not better. If you superimpose race and sex discrimination timelines onto sexual orientation and how it's treated today...it is roughly 1885. That's what we face. Let's not lie about it.

One day, people like this in Hollywood and law will be looked back in scorn. It's up to you and me to spend our lives doing the right thing and making sure that day comes.

To our kids, y'all.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Nov 8, 2011 1:03:54 PM

25. Right on, Steve Pardue.

Posted by: The Milkman | Nov 8, 2011 1:16:51 PM