Brett Ratner | Film | Gay Slurs | News

BigGayDeal.com

'Tower Heist' Director Brett Ratner Apologizes for Saying 'Rehearsal's for Fags' to Screening Audience

Audiences at a screening for director Brett Ratner's new film Tower Heist were reportedly "stunned" on Friday night when Ratner used an anti-gay slur during a question and answer session with the audience, The Wrap reports:

RatnerThe exchange went like this, according to a video of the event that was posted on the internet but later removed:

Q: So you get this entire group of actors together -- what was rehearsal like?

A: Rehearsal? What’s that? Rehearsal’s for fags. Rehearsal. Not much. A lot of prep, preparation, complex action sequences, visual effects. Storyboards, animatics. The process was I made the actors stick to the script. And they wanted to, because the script was great.

Ratner has now written a statement of apology to The Wrap:

“I apologize for any offense my remarks caused. It was a dumb way of expressing myself. Everyone who knows me knows that I don’t have a prejudiced bone in my body. But as a storyteller I should have been much more thoughtful about the power of language and my choice of words.”

GLAAD tweeted that they are going to be demanding action from Universal and The Academy (Ratner is a producer on the Oscars).

UPDATE: Later, GLAAD wrote, "This apology is a good start, but we're working with Ratner's people for more action, to clearly send a message to Hollywood that the anti-gay slurs used by bullies and bigots have no place in the world of entertainment, or anywhere else."

Comments

1. Maybe if he had rehearsals his movies wouldn't suck.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Nov 7, 2011 4:22:40 PM

2. OMG! They are going to punish him...by making him produce a gayer Oscars!

Posted by: Gus | Nov 7, 2011 4:26:43 PM

3. When's he going to apologize for making the worst movies this side of Uwe Bolle? Ratner is a mysogonistic, homphobic, womanizing prick, who also happens to be a corporate shill and a total hack of a director. He's the complete package.

Posted by: ShawntheSheep | Nov 7, 2011 4:32:40 PM

4. What a dufus.

Posted by: Trask | Nov 7, 2011 4:34:01 PM

5. Sounds like Brett Ratner's mentality hasn't progressed much since his bar mitzvah party.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 7, 2011 5:07:11 PM

6. I guess there could be a call to boycott Ratner's movies, but, geez, it's Brett Ratner, who wants to see 'em anyway?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Nov 7, 2011 5:07:11 PM

7. I'll bet he's into getting mounted by pre-op transsexual hookers -- just the way Eddie is.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 7, 2011 5:07:19 PM

8. Adam Sandler/Ben Stiller are never seen in the same place. They both make equally crap films. Sandler donated to Rudy Giuliani's campaign for president.

Now it turns out one of their directors is a clueless homophobe. None of these things are a coincidences.

Posted by: yonquersconquers | Nov 7, 2011 5:11:12 PM

9. I saw a film clip. It looked really lame. Probably counting on name recognition to sell tickets. Matthew Broderick is in it. Go figure.

What some "stars" will do for a quick buck.

Posted by: Appearances | Nov 7, 2011 5:17:01 PM

10. You can send the Academy a comment here:

Posted by: Mike | Nov 7, 2011 5:17:03 PM

11. Guess I won't be seeing his movie then.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Nov 7, 2011 5:17:24 PM

12. so this is the face of the fool who ruined x-men with that godawful last stand movie.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Nov 7, 2011 5:23:21 PM

13. F'''him. Boycott his works and he's finished. Done.

Posted by: Scott Farmer | Nov 7, 2011 5:35:30 PM

14. Don't really care for him very much, but i'm not offended by the term "fag". People are way to sensitive.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 7, 2011 5:36:48 PM

15. His statement is an evasive, self-back-patting, non-apology apology. No responsibility is personally taken for his words that demean others.

Posted by: Rev Kev | Nov 7, 2011 5:51:40 PM

16. He'll be crying all the way to the bank. HW is a very hard town.

Posted by: anon | Nov 7, 2011 5:52:18 PM

17. There a great Change.org petition calling for the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences to replace Ratner as producer of the Oscars here:

Posted by: Arthur | Nov 7, 2011 6:08:52 PM

18. Fags, fags, queers, pansies, fairies, , pufters, fags!!! "Everybody knows I don't have a prejudiced bone in my body."

---big ol' eye roll---

Posted by: Perry | Nov 7, 2011 6:19:29 PM

19. Sure, he apologized just in case, by some remote chance, an overly sensitive sissy was offended by his remarks. But he forgot to say that some of his best friends are gay.

Hint to Ratner: We don't like to be called fags. You're a fairly bright guy: Can you think of any bad names you don't like being called? (I can - but I'm not going to use 'em.)

Posted by: Charlie-o | Nov 7, 2011 6:20:22 PM

20. I loathe the term and you can bet we're going to be accused of being over-sensitive, but can you imagine if he used the n word or the k word? He'd be a pariah. There's this habit of thinking that you can use gay slurs as long as you use context as an excuse.

Posted by: Sarina | Nov 7, 2011 6:29:43 PM

21. well screw him, but I actually liked Tower Heist.

Posted by: Billy | Nov 7, 2011 6:36:59 PM

22. another movie i won't waste my money on.

Posted by: walter | Nov 7, 2011 6:47:31 PM

23. That's ok. Gaffes and scripted apologies are for douchebags.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 7, 2011 7:06:59 PM

24. An apology from Ratner is not enough, nor would any statement from the Academy merely distancing themselves from the original remark. As Mark Harris of Grantland.com (http://goo.gl/N55jt) so eloquently stated:

"I’ve had to listen to versions of every one of these mea-not-quite-culpas over the years and seriously, I’m no longer interested in patiently witnessing the slow arc of a public figure’s learning curve. What I do care about is what the Academy does, which should be either to ask for and receive his resignation from the show or to drop him as the producer of a show that is supposed to represent the best the industry has to offer. There’s not really a long, nuanced debate to be had about this. If he had used an equivalent racial or religious slur, the discussion would go something like, 'You’re fired.' Apology or not. The same rule applies here. You don’t get a mulligan on homophobia. Not in 2011."

Posted by: Arthur | Nov 7, 2011 7:12:28 PM

25. I agree ... GLADD or HRC should call for a nation wide boycott of this movie.

Posted by: MAP | Nov 7, 2011 8:23:04 PM