‘Tower Heist’ Director Brett Ratner Apologizes for Saying ‘Rehearsal’s for Fags’ to Screening Audience

Audiences at a screening for director Brett Ratner's new film Tower Heist were reportedly "stunned" on Friday night when Ratner used an anti-gay slur during a question and answer session with the audience, The Wrap reports:

RatnerThe exchange went like this, according to a video of the event that was posted on the internet but later removed:

Q: So you get this entire group of actors together — what was rehearsal like?

A: Rehearsal? What’s that? Rehearsal’s for fags. Rehearsal. Not much. A lot of prep, preparation, complex action sequences, visual effects. Storyboards, animatics. The process was I made the actors stick to the script. And they wanted to, because the script was great.

Ratner has now written a statement of apology to The Wrap:

“I apologize for any offense my remarks caused. It was a dumb way of expressing myself. Everyone who knows me knows that I don’t have a prejudiced bone in my body. But as a storyteller I should have been much more thoughtful about the power of language and my choice of words.”

GLAAD tweeted that they are going to be demanding action from Universal and The Academy (Ratner is a producer on the Oscars).

UPDATE: Later, GLAAD wrote, "This apology is a good start, but we're working with Ratner's people for more action, to clearly send a message to Hollywood that the anti-gay slurs used by bullies and bigots have no place in the world of entertainment, or anywhere else."

Comments

1. ShawntheSheep says

When’s he going to apologize for making the worst movies this side of Uwe Bolle? Ratner is a mysogonistic, homphobic, womanizing prick, who also happens to be a corporate shill and a total hack of a director. He’s the complete package.

2. yonquersconquers says

Adam Sandler/Ben Stiller are never seen in the same place. They both make equally crap films. Sandler donated to Rudy Giuliani’s campaign for president.

Now it turns out one of their directors is a clueless homophobe. None of these things are a coincidences.

3. Appearances says

I saw a film clip. It looked really lame. Probably counting on name recognition to sell tickets. Matthew Broderick is in it. Go figure.

What some “stars” will do for a quick buck.

4. Charlie-o says

Sure, he apologized just in case, by some remote chance, an overly sensitive sissy was offended by his remarks. But he forgot to say that some of his best friends are gay.

Hint to Ratner: We don’t like to be called fags. You’re a fairly bright guy: Can you think of any bad names you don’t like being called? (I can – but I’m not going to use ’em.)

5. Sarina says

I loathe the term and you can bet we’re going to be accused of being over-sensitive, but can you imagine if he used the n word or the k word? He’d be a pariah. There’s this habit of thinking that you can use gay slurs as long as you use context as an excuse.

6. Arthur says

An apology from Ratner is not enough, nor would any statement from the Academy merely distancing themselves from the original remark. As Mark Harris of Grantland.com (http://goo.gl/N55jt) so eloquently stated:

“I’ve had to listen to versions of every one of these mea-not-quite-culpas over the years and seriously, I’m no longer interested in patiently witnessing the slow arc of a public figure’s learning curve. What I do care about is what the Academy does, which should be either to ask for and receive his resignation from the show or to drop him as the producer of a show that is supposed to represent the best the industry has to offer. There’s not really a long, nuanced debate to be had about this. If he had used an equivalent racial or religious slur, the discussion would go something like, ‘You’re fired.’ Apology or not. The same rule applies here. You don’t get a mulligan on homophobia. Not in 2011.”

7. say what says

Yes slepey bear

This is the man who ruined the x-men movie franchise

Ruined what Bryan Singer created

The only movie I ever saw directed by him and he proved himself as to why I never watch his stuff

8. ugh says

That was honestly, flat-out offensive. If he “doesn’t have a prejudiced bone in his body,” why was that word/*concept* on the tip of his tongue?

That’s the kind of talk that tortures gay kids.

9. jaragon says

The movie did not open as strong as expected which means that having Eddie Murphy host the Oscars is looking like one bad idea. The movie looks like the usual Hollywood formula and he will not be getting my money.

10. just_a_guy says

Brett Ratner. Hmmm, never heard of him before. And I will boycott ANYTHING with his name connected to it from here on out.

Tower Heist looked dumb. But I go to the movies pretty regularly with friends, and I would have likely watched it if the time was right and a friend wanted to check it out.

No way in He** I’m going to see Tower Heist now…and you can be Da** sure I’ll mention to every friend of mine not to watch it if/when the topic of movies comes up. (And I like to talk about current movies to pick which ones to watch.)

And Brett Ratner should not be allowed to be connected to the Oscars in ANY way (except he can pay for his ticket, I guess, if he’d otherwise be invited at all).

Why? Cuz I’ve always had respect for the Oscars. I’d rather not lose that respect for the Oscars.

And I have ZERO respect for Brett Ratner.

Words mean things. And you can’t take them back. (Never mind even how half-ass his apology was.)

The fact that Brett Ratner will still have a career after this SHOWS how anti-gay Hollywood STILL is.

One day, the entertainment industry will change. One day…

11. Dback says

And that, ladies and gentlemen, in a nutshell, is how a mediocre movie with mixed reviews named “Crash” wins a Best Picture Oscar over a 25-Best-Picture-critics’-award winner named “Brokeback Mountain.” Homophobia is alive and well in the industry, especially among straight men who write, produce and direct.

12. Shannon says

ONCE AGAIN GAY WHITE MEN….YOU ARE THE MOST “IST” PEOPLE AROUND….YET SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT YOU….YOU FALL TO PIECES……TRY TO COMPARE THIS WORD TO BLACK PEOPLE…THE NOST PRE-DOMINATE ABD ORIGINAL RACE ON THE PLANET….YOU ARE REALLY STRETCHING HERE DUDES…NOT A GOOD LOOK FOR YOU….AT ALL! GET OSME BACKBONE…FIGHT YOUR OWN GODDAMN BATTLES WITH TRYING TO BELITTLE OTHERS……

13. DeeperStill says

Well, I’ll be spending my f¤g money elsewhere then. Not that I’m gonna miss anything. He sucks at making movies big time. And I’m not even saying that to be spiteful. It’s my honest opinion.

Pathetic little lowlife “man”.

14. says

It’s ironic GLAAD and some gay people immediately raise pitchforks and scream bloody murder whenever some straight celebrity makes a bad joke using a gay slur, but overlook problems like racism within their own community.

I heard plenty of white gay men make racist or negative stereotypical insults about minorities in public. Then criticize minorities for being oversensitive if they say something about it. Of course GLAAD pretends it doesn’t exist either.