2012 Election | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News | Rick Perry

Rick Perry Defends Ad, Doubles Down on Attacks Against Gays: VIDEO

Blitzer_perry

Wolf Blitzer spoke to Rick Perry yesterday about his anti-gay, pro-Christian ad, Think Progress LGBT reports.

Perry couldn't explain what Obama's "war on religion" is with any logic.

He also defended discrimination against gays, saying that Catholic Charities and the Boy Scouts should be able to do so. He also said he doesn't care if NATO allies accept gays in the military, or that the  Joint Chiefs have said that repeal of 'DADT' has gone without a hitch and gays are serving openly without issue.

He would still reinstate 'DADT':

"I think Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell worked fine. Listen, I wore the uniform….and this president to use the military, and he’s used the military twice, Wolf and both times, I think to get support from his base. But particularly on the gays in the military issue, he made the decision that he was going to respond to his base by pushing through and pushing through Congress when he had the votes to openly serve as gay members of the military. I didn’t agree with that. We have two wars going on, unit cohesiveness, the problems that that can cause, those are real...I’m just telling you the members of the military I talked to, when this was being talked about, I didn’t talk to anyone who was for it…"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. actually Perry, there is only 1 war still going on

Afgabistan, Iraq is over

Oooops

Posted by: say what | Dec 8, 2011 10:09:11 AM

2. afgabistan = afganistan

Posted by: say what | Dec 8, 2011 10:09:55 AM

3. Who cares? Dumber than George Bush and without the pedigree. America wouldn't elect this nitwit so leave him in Texas and after embarrassing them on a national level as he has they will dumping his doofy ass too.

Embarrassing, stupid and ridiculous. The trifecta of ingorance. Perry 2012 -- Bring It, Rick!

Posted by: Bart | Dec 8, 2011 10:11:24 AM

4. What a stupid, ignorant and hateful man, completely unfit to be a governor, much less a president. Pure evil.

Posted by: Abel | Dec 8, 2011 10:17:20 AM

5. Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Posted by: Alexander | Dec 8, 2011 10:22:36 AM

6. Ok this guy is so anti-gay he must be doing some rent boy on the side lets find him and bring it out into the light

Posted by: mrbill | Dec 8, 2011 10:22:58 AM

7. Love watching his fall from grace, his scrambling to even secure his base, the bubble world he calls his religious Christian haven.

In the end, he will slither back to Texas, where -- oh right -- he will have to govern a state where he has low approval ratings as governor.

Posted by: Gregoire | Dec 8, 2011 10:31:38 AM

8. Uh, Rick. I think those were the wrong index cards. Those were last year's. By the way, those people you talk to are individually selected. And Santa Claus is dead.

Posted by: ESA | Dec 8, 2011 10:32:15 AM

9. OH! I'M SORRY! I meant Jesus Claus.

Posted by: ESA | Dec 8, 2011 10:32:54 AM

10. Desperation and self-loathing are an awful mix.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 8, 2011 10:33:44 AM

11. Wolf asked simple short and very good questions, which show how ignorant Rick Perry is. Wolf really gave Rick time to explain and show there is no logic in his opinions. Well done W.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 8, 2011 10:38:00 AM

12. Rick Perry needs to tell his wife, Anita, to be more discreet the next time she catches him in bed with a man. The last time that happened was in 2004 when Anita caught Perry in flagrante delicto with his freaking Texas Secretary of State, Geoff Connor. The next morning, in her office, she was screaming at Rick over the phone at the top of her lungs, threatening divorce, etc. An entire office full of people heard this. Hey, Anita, you've got a BIG MOUTH. The Texas newspaper, The Austin Chronicle, and Internet sources had a field day. Isn't the Internet fun?

Posted by: Artie | Dec 8, 2011 10:51:18 AM

13. Perry are and all these republicans that are running are JOKES!
    I'LL pray to any god even Perry's that none of them get any way near the office that president Obama now occupies!

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Dec 8, 2011 10:51:39 AM

14. I would't characterize his add as pro-christian, more like pro-pharisee. he's advocating praying in public schools, which sounds a lot like getting up in front of everyone and praying real loud so everyone can see how pious you are. I do believe Jesus said that you should't do that.

Posted by: M. Bergeron | Dec 8, 2011 10:54:22 AM

15. Sheesh...not all men who dislike gays are hiding in the closet. Some are just simple-minded bigots.

Posted by: Scott C. | Dec 8, 2011 10:56:17 AM

16. For me, if you've seen the video of that speech where he got all effusive and over the top and if you recall that Ken Mehlman fellow who is now in the OUT 100, you can understand what's going on here.

Will he join the other "fallen" Republicans?

Posted by: Fahd | Dec 8, 2011 11:18:56 AM

17. I wonder if he'll be able to be re-elected as governor of Texas. I'm so glad I left that state years ago.

Posted by: Drew | Dec 8, 2011 12:10:06 PM

18. Equality still eludes us. Thanks to DOMA legally married same-sex military spouses are denied health insurance, commissary, housing allowance and other base privileges as compared to their opposite-sex married counterparts. For those interested - http://OUTmilitary.com has been providing a supportive environment for friending, sharing and networking between Gay active military, vets and supporters since December, 2010.

Posted by: Out Military | Dec 8, 2011 12:35:35 PM

19. A nifty graphic a friend made. Please repost.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 8, 2011 1:13:12 PM

20. Wow, This unabashed promotion of discrimination of gay people. And the promoting of the Catholic Bishops many of whom have covered up capital crimes against children. The Catholic Church has moral credibility??? Ha. This guy needs to crawl back in his hole in west Texas.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 8, 2011 1:25:48 PM

21. Darn it. Looks like we're gonna end up getting him back here in TX.

You sure some of you other states don't need a good hair gubner? I mean, yea, he's kinda used and cantankerous but he's good at coyote huntin' and throws one humdinger of a barbecue party.

Actually, he's pretty much finished here in TX. When he returns home I think his biggest accomplishment back here will be moving out of that $10K a month mansion and back into the Governor's Mansion. He's gonna be a lame duck governor after this presidential campaign. AG Greg Abbott, the Supreme Court's latest fanboy (we now have four cases before the Supreme Court), is targeting the Governor's Mansion for his new digs.

Posted by: RBearSAT | Dec 8, 2011 3:35:15 PM

22. He comes across as total desperate phony.

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 8, 2011 6:22:03 PM

23. Those people he spoke to are bigots. I've served 10 years in the military with two deployments in iraq, one in afghanistan and volunteered to go on an isolated duty. I've managed to save multiple lives. i came out to my military peers my third year of service. Me coming out allowed me to be more compassionate about taking care of others. and people appreciated what I've done.

oh and these republicans need to separate their religious beliefs with their responsibilities. protect your people without being biased!

Posted by: carne chung | Dec 8, 2011 8:06:10 PM

24. He just keeps digging the hole deeper and deeper. What a fascinating idiot! Just stop talking. Who the hell is advising this guy? Wow.

Posted by: Charles Bivona | Dec 8, 2011 11:43:04 PM

25. Nothing says "I am a closeted self loathing homosexual" any louder than when politicians and preachers go on the attack against homosexuals.It is almost always the case.

Posted by: jack | Dec 9, 2011 12:43:17 AM