Facebook | Janice Daniels | Michigan | News

Troy, MI Mayor Janice Daniels Thinks She Should Be Forgiven for Offensive 'Queers' Remark: VIDEO

J_daniels

Troy, Michigan Mayor Janice Daniels, whose recently-uncovered Facebook status update from June declaring "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there" has put her in national headlines, was confronted by protesters and media today as she arrived at City Hall.

Daniels insisted that she's a good person and seemed upset that people were angry over "one word".

"I'm a good person, I really am. I said one word that you don't like. One word."

Daniels then explained to everyone what "forgiveness" is.

"True forgiveness means that you wipe the slate clean and allow the person to improve themselves from that point forward, so this is a very good lesson for all of us!"

Protesters then began chanting "Janice is a bully." The City Council meeting is scheduled for 7:30 pm this evening.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. There's a big part that she's missing. People might forgive a person, but only after that person has apologized. Has she done that? Because she doesn't come across as terribly contrite to me.

Posted by: MattS | Dec 5, 2011 7:47:47 PM

2. Ms. Mayor-you don't want to upset the queer population that spends a ton of their disposable income at the Somerset Collection Mall in your fair city- one of the only areas in the Detroit Metro area that turns a profit...... we will take our business elsewhere.....

Posted by: nick | Dec 5, 2011 7:49:12 PM

3. If that 'one word' started with "n" would she be asking people to overlook that, too?

Yes, probably, because she's a stupid, ignorant, hateful "b".

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Dec 5, 2011 8:04:13 PM

4. There is a more general discussion in American culture in which many people ask, "Can we have more civility in public discourse?" What bigoted people don't understand is that civility in public discourse is a two-way street. So let's examine the following dialogue, shall we, ladies and gentlemen?

Any female speaker: "Hey, fag, don't call me c*nt."

Any male speaker: "Hey, c*nt, don't call me fag."

If you want civility in public discourse, I only ask that you don't apply a double standard. Am I reaching for the stars? I don't think so.

Posted by: Artie | Dec 5, 2011 8:15:56 PM

5. I'll totally forgive her -- after she resigns.

Posted by: Gregoire | Dec 5, 2011 8:17:11 PM

6. "Good" people don't call other people names. And Anastasia is right, if she'd used the "n" word as her "one word" there'd be no question.

Posted by: bluedogJ | Dec 5, 2011 8:19:27 PM

7. It's not "one word". It's the frame of mind and bigotry behind it. If she were actually contrite it would be one thing, but I have a hard time believing she's lost her animus because she was caught letting it loose in public view.

Posted by: justinw | Dec 5, 2011 8:22:36 PM

8. Another ignorant red neck trying to back peddle from offensive comments. What's New?

Posted by: James | Dec 5, 2011 8:24:11 PM

9. I hate that word but if we don't want people using it we have to stop using it ourselves.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 5, 2011 8:25:59 PM

10. Artie, you raised a good point. It is indeed a two-way street. And I didn't hear the mayor's apology. When she meets a gay person does she refer to him as a "fag?" If not then the term was inappropriate for her to write and she should say so directly. When I mistakenly kept switching gender pronouns when referring to Chaz Bono I accepted correction and apologized.

But not to worry. Unless that photo made the mayor look unusually wide I have a feeling that she is in for the Maggie Gallagher treatment, so the "nom,nom,nom,nom give me more food" jokes should be starting very soon around here! When one pisses off Towleroad readers she or he had better be especially thin.......or else!

Posted by: Mary | Dec 5, 2011 8:33:27 PM

11. I'm so glad this has finally made the national news (sent a tip to towleroad when it first broke here)...

she is completely missing the point... the problem is not the word itself, but her way of thinking... it is sad that someone openly running with a tea party agenda gets elected..... hoping for her resignation, but I seriously doubt it...

she does not understand that freedom of speech and expression does not equate immunity....

Posted by: V-8 | Dec 5, 2011 8:37:42 PM

12. Oh, sweetheart. You're a member of the Tea Party. It wasn't just that one word of yours we find offensive. It's every word that drips from your mouth, including "a" and "the."

Posted by: Paul | Dec 5, 2011 8:42:16 PM

13. It's the 'one word' people commonly hear when they're being beaten or killed by a gang of homophobes.

Posted by: yonquersconquers | Dec 5, 2011 8:49:39 PM

14. That wasn't called for, Mary, when nobody'd said anything about that yet but you.

At first when I read this I thought she might just be so ignorant that she honestly believes people are upset over "one single word" rather than the attitude driving it, but.... Nah. She's just trying to minimize her action by passing it off as people getting all bent out of shape over "one single word" so she doesn't have to face that the attitude driving her usage reveals her as not as "good" a person as she wants others (and herself) to believe.

Posted by: Shelly | Dec 5, 2011 8:55:28 PM

15. If she had said "Qu**rs deserve equal rights," then she would have been correct that many people (like me) would have been offended by only one word... And an apology and change of wording in the future would be happily accepted. But this isn't about that one slur word; this is about the bigoted essence of the message she was conveying.
    Likewise, if a white, male mayor were to say, referring to women and blacks, that "b****es and n*****s deserve equality," then the problem would not be the idea itself but rather the language. If a mayor says that he won't visit South Africa now that Apartheid is gone and "b*****s and n*****s have constitutional rights," then the problem is not just the two words but the very essence of prejudice conveyed in the message.
    Where in the world did she get the idea that nobody would mind if she more "politely" worded her support of discrimination against others?

Posted by: Gregv | Dec 5, 2011 8:58:08 PM

16. All valid comments, but the most powerful is by yonuersconquers...it's the word people (us) commonly hear when they are being beaten or killed by a gang of homophobes.

Posted by: Tone | Dec 5, 2011 8:59:35 PM

17. Okay, I'm going to make this clear and I know I may step on some toes while doing it...but here goes:

First off, to make the context a bit clearer: I am a gay person...no wait...I am a PERSON first before any other title. And as a person I am proud that we live in an America where we can say what is on our minds in private and in public and not fear being arrested for it. I would like to think that that freedom extends to even those who we disagree with. Should Janice Daniels have written that on her personal blog site...probably not. However, the First Amendment guarantees her the right to write it or say it without fear of repercussions. Just as we, a gay community, are allowed to write and say what we feel about those we disagree with, so should she be allowed to say or express how she feels, as well.

Is she being a bully by saying what she felt? No...hardly. She has the right as a citizen of the USA to say what she wants and write what she wants In the marketplace of free ideas, is it right to silence those we disagree with by threatening their jobs or their positions? Would you, as a gay person,like it if your positions or job were threatened because you are gay and you hold to a belief that is unpopular? Oh wait, that is happening to us! Nevermind....

The point I'm trying to make is if we are going to ask peopole to respect us for who we are and what we say then we should be respectful to those who we disagree with, as well. You may not have liked what she wrote or commented on, butg it is her right to say it or write it. To say otherwise you make yourselves no better than they are...CAPECHE???

Posted by: Ray Sager | Dec 5, 2011 9:06:13 PM

18. Shelly, I wasn't making fun of the mayor's weight. I was just trying to show (humorously) how after a while you can predict what a website's readers will say on a subject. People in the public eye get these comments about their looks - I realize that Towleroad isn't the only place where people get joked about.

And actually, it shouldn't be long before the mayor is also accused of being a repressed lesbian. And if she were ever to join GOProud we'll know that it was only in a vain attempt to get her homophobic parents to accept her.

Despite being from "the other side", I still love Towleroad. Truly. Heck, Andy could have told me to take my homophobic ass elsewhere a long time ago!

Posted by: Mary | Dec 5, 2011 9:15:05 PM

19. One word? Yeah, that's the problem.

How an elected official can actually believe that two private citizens shouldn't be able to have legal protection for themselves & their families, is just beyond comprehension.

If people have to take a test for a license, how come they don't have to pass an initial exam in order to run for office???

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Dec 5, 2011 9:25:20 PM

20. We'll forgive her only if she gets some fashion sense about her wardrobe, and a Gay hair stylist.

Posted by: ronsfo | Dec 5, 2011 9:26:03 PM

21. She is beyond stupid. It was not just one word, it was the meaning and intent of the whole thing. And to be forgiven, one must first apologise

Posted by: DanSwon | Dec 5, 2011 9:31:29 PM

22. @RAY SAGER: You clearly do not understand the First Amendment. It does NOT insure that a person can write or say whatever s/he feels without fear of repercussions. It insures that a person can say whatever s/he feels or thinks without THE GOVERNMENT stepping in to silence them. Big damn difference there, RAY.

This bigot, Janice Daniels, has not suffered any abridgement of her right to free speech. She is only suffering the consequences of that speech when people step up to call her out as a hater. There is no reason to show respect to someone who fosters hatred and intolerance of us as a community.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 5, 2011 9:34:07 PM

23. i wonder how she would feel about being called a jesus freak?

of course, i'm only "supposing" she is

Posted by: miheal d | Dec 5, 2011 9:36:58 PM

24. You earn forgiveness.

Stupid cow.

And, "queer" is fine as an adjective...queer music; queer film; queer studies.

It's not acceptable in the plural form as a noun. Same thing for "the blacks". Anyone who uses "The Queers" or "The Blacks" in a sentence is pretty much making their feelings known.

Posted by: Michael Strangeways | Dec 5, 2011 9:40:53 PM

25. @Ray Sager: You are sadly mistaken about the First Amendment. In no way does it guarantee anyone the right to write or say anything without repercussions. It only says that "Congress shall make no law…abridging the freedom of speech…" That means no laws to stop speech; not a prohibition of repercussions. In fact, I feel we are morally obligated to speak out in an effort to stop ignorant and hateful speech. If someone says that they support removing or denying my civil and human rights I will speak out forcefully and vigorously against them and support repercussions such as picketing, boycotting and public shaming. Don't let these hateful people claim the high moral ground!

Posted by: E. Thor Carlson | Dec 5, 2011 9:51:32 PM