Nature | Uganda

Man Has Jaw-Dropping Encounter with Wild Mountain Gorillas: VIDEO

Gorilllas

For a nature lover, the thrill of a lifetime at Bwindi National Park, Uganda.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via reddit)

2_gorillas

Comments

1. That was more fun than anything. Thank you.

Posted by: uffda | Dec 21, 2011 1:07:27 PM

2. Awesome! Thank you.

Posted by: April in Austin | Dec 21, 2011 1:17:10 PM

3. WOW.... an Amazing Experience

Posted by: Ryan Nix | Dec 21, 2011 1:32:22 PM

4. So cool, a once in a lifetime experience for sure!

Posted by: RONTEX | Dec 21, 2011 1:53:22 PM

5. Wow, that is awesome!

Posted by: Thomas | Dec 21, 2011 2:05:16 PM

6. Waking up BEFORE breakfast? WTF! Wow amazing creatures. Cool video.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Dec 21, 2011 2:10:43 PM

7. MIRACULOUS!

Posted by: betmatthewnyc | Dec 21, 2011 2:13:25 PM

8. Thank you! Pure joy!!! What a great experience.

Posted by: Guy | Dec 21, 2011 2:24:28 PM

9. The perfect combination of danger and amazement. Thrilling and beautiful all at once.

Posted by: princely54 | Dec 21, 2011 2:43:21 PM

10. yes that was pure joy but watch the one with Sopia and you get to see a month old girollla

Posted by: Silas | Dec 21, 2011 2:46:46 PM

11. What an incredible encounter.. My only concern would be that the gorillas are becoming unaffraid of humans which could become an advantage to poachers.

Posted by: mark | Dec 21, 2011 2:55:42 PM

12. I have been to Bwindi and have sat high in the mountains with a family of thirteen gorillas. Was one of the most thrilling moments of my life. This man will likely remember this for as long as he lives. And from first hand experience, being with them makes you realize there is so much out there beyond our human centric vision. Beautiful.

Posted by: Jon G | Dec 21, 2011 3:35:33 PM

13. "What an incredible encounter.. My only concern would be that the gorillas are becoming unaffraid of humans which could become an advantage to poachers.

Posted by: mark | Dec 21, 2011 2:55:42 PM "

I was going to post how amazing this was but you made me think.

Hmm...

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 21, 2011 4:25:10 PM

14. The man simply cannot contain his joy, and I would totally feel the same. Just watching the video I sat here with a big grin on my face.

I'm so happy for him. And jealous as all hell.

Posted by: sparks | Dec 21, 2011 4:43:58 PM

15. Wonderful. It’s almost gives you the illusion that gorillas fare better than LGTB in Uganda. The illusion because of the poaching thingy, I mean.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Dec 21, 2011 4:50:52 PM

16. Truly an amazing experience.But as they lose their fear of man and start to encroach on man's habitat, people will begin to fear them as a threat and we all know that what man fears he destroys.Silverback was such a nice babysitter.

Posted by: gb | Dec 21, 2011 4:57:56 PM

17. When that male takes his hand and gently grabs that young one and moves it away from that guy, well that shows parental skills. They have to be self aware, like some of us humans.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Dec 21, 2011 5:11:12 PM

18. They aren't scared of white people because they know they are the good guys, however when they see a black person they run the other way. True story.

Posted by: James | Dec 21, 2011 5:41:56 PM

19. WOW! That was astounding. Thank you for posting it. That Silverback was HUGE, but so incredible to watch. Loved it!!!

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 21, 2011 5:42:39 PM

20. Ah! the conditioning of the media! As I watched, I discovered in myself the expectation that the gorillas would suddenly turn vicious. Then my reasonable self kicked in and noted that the man, John, did nothing threatening (not even a direct look in the eyes) and, feeling unthreatened, the whole troop of gorillas did what they would naturally do: show curiosity and interest. Wisely, the silverback positioned himself where he could watch the troop and respond quickly if any threat appeared.

What a magical moment.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Dec 22, 2011 2:51:25 PM

21. Insanity. And so amazing to watch. I had the goosebumps. And my hands were on my head with my jaw dropped the entire time.

Posted by: James | Dec 22, 2011 5:33:35 PM

22. Absolultely amazing! That was too cool! Like James, I too had goosebumps. A once in a life time wildlife encounter for sure.

Posted by: Charles | Dec 22, 2011 11:13:57 PM

23. this video made me curious about something: looking directly @ the male gorilla is perceived as threatening. but looking directly @ the gorilla through a video camera isn't?

Posted by: redball | Dec 23, 2011 2:32:10 PM

24. @JAMES What's it like to a stupid, racist @$$hole?

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 24, 2011 9:41:55 AM

25. If the poachers are all black, and the whites are harmless tourists, it isn't necessarily racist to notice, even if you're a gorilla.

Posted by: Steve T. | Dec 24, 2011 12:38:02 PM