Comments

1. Jon G says

I have been to Bwindi and have sat high in the mountains with a family of thirteen gorillas. Was one of the most thrilling moments of my life. This man will likely remember this for as long as he lives. And from first hand experience, being with them makes you realize there is so much out there beyond our human centric vision. Beautiful.

2. Rowan says

“What an incredible encounter.. My only concern would be that the gorillas are becoming unaffraid of humans which could become an advantage to poachers.

Posted by: mark | Dec 21, 2011 2:55:42 PM ”

I was going to post how amazing this was but you made me think.

Hmm…

3. sparks says

The man simply cannot contain his joy, and I would totally feel the same. Just watching the video I sat here with a big grin on my face.

I’m so happy for him. And jealous as all hell.

4. gb says

Truly an amazing experience.But as they lose their fear of man and start to encroach on man’s habitat, people will begin to fear them as a threat and we all know that what man fears he destroys.Silverback was such a nice babysitter.

5. Sargon Bighorn says

When that male takes his hand and gently grabs that young one and moves it away from that guy, well that shows parental skills. They have to be self aware, like some of us humans.

6. Chuck Mielke says

Ah! the conditioning of the media! As I watched, I discovered in myself the expectation that the gorillas would suddenly turn vicious. Then my reasonable self kicked in and noted that the man, John, did nothing threatening (not even a direct look in the eyes) and, feeling unthreatened, the whole troop of gorillas did what they would naturally do: show curiosity and interest. Wisely, the silverback positioned himself where he could watch the troop and respond quickly if any threat appeared.

What a magical moment.

7. redball says

this video made me curious about something: looking directly @ the male gorilla is perceived as threatening. but looking directly @ the gorilla through a video camera isn’t?