Help Pay for Funeral for Bullied Gay Tennessee Teen Jacob Rogers

Rogers

UPDATE: We've met the goal of $5,000. THANK YOU so much to everyone who has donated. I'll have a more specific update later, but I've taken down the donation button.

—–

Many of you saw the news earlier of Jacob Rogers, the Tennessee teen who took his own life after being bullied for years. WMSV mentioned that friends of Jacob's family said that the family is unlikely to be able to afford a funeral, and mentioned that a tattoo parlor was taking donations.

Because it's a bit iffy to send money to a random tattoo parlor, Towleroad, with Slog and Joe.My.God, have initiated a fund for Jacob's funeral – we hope to raise $5,000. Any additional donations will be split between GLSEN, Trevor Project, the ACLU, and the It Gets Better Project.

Use the donate button below if you are interested in helping out. Any size  contribution is welcome. Thanks.

Note: Dan Savage's Seattle newspaper The Stranger (which runs Slog) kindly helped set up the PayPal, so those of you curious about the receipt on your donation should know that's what it indicates.

Comments

1. Charles says

Ok, I donated, but it concerns me a little that the receipt shows an email for a Seattle newspaper rather than any of the groups that are associated with setting up this fund. Please advise before I suggest that anyone else make donations.

2. Jonathan OZ says

Happy to contribute, if only to ease the burden on Jacob’s parents, and to let them know our thoughts are with them.

3. Rebeccah says

Thank you for doing this. His death has shocked a lot of us, especially his good friends and family. Jacob deserves the proper goodbye. This will help out tremendously.

4. Sandra says

Thank you for doing this. I am Jake’s grandmother and I am so grateful that people that never knew him care enough to try to help. He was such a loving soul to suffer such torment.

5. Danny says

Done. Donated my share.

Hopefully Jacobs family can find some solace in knowing that he did mean something to a community, our community. That even though we dont know him, that he is loved, even in death.

6. CAMPER says

What are the facts of the “iffy” “random” tattoo parlor? I have many friends who own tattoo parlors, including my ex, they are some of the most giving and caring people. I find it somewhat offensive.

7. JHoots says

I agree with CAMPER. What the hell is “iffy” about the generosity expressed by the local tattoo parlor? In doing some good here, there was no need to insult these obviously caring people at the local ink spot.

8. Kris says

Thank you so much for doing this!!!! You have no idea how much it means to all of us!! I personally want to thank each and every single person from the bottom of my heart for the donations! Thanks to you all, our friend will be able to have a proper burial and be laid to rest peacefully!

9. TruthSeeker_Too says

I’m tired of learning about these kids AFTER the fact. Andy, how about setting up a 1-800-STOP-BULLYING hotline (or web site) so that we can find out about these kids plights and step in as their advocates ahead of the fact! I’m not very tech savy or I’d do it. We can and should be their fierce advocate!
    Thanks for easing the pain of this family and my condolences to Jacob’s friends as well.

10. Patrick Wendling-Markwell says

I find it a bit insensitive myself that you say it is iffy to donate to a tattoo parlor. Those people usually tend to be great and friendly people. I know 4 tattoo and piercing artists myself that do my work for me and they donate some of their spare time in a hospice. I really wish you would retract that statement and apologize. BTW, where is the donate button? Do not see it. $5000 does not cover a funeral, so put it back up if you took it down.

11. Jen says

Read this story on the news just now and came to donate. Seems you guys have already met the goal. Thank you for helping.