Christmas | I'm Gay | News

Mom and Dad, I Have Something to Tell You...: VIDEO

Wavey

Coming out happened to me over the Christmas holiday. It happens to a lot of people. Maybe Davey Wavey and his mom and dad can help a confused parent out there.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Children! Do NOT come out to your parents by sending them a video by Davey Wavey! Wow, that would be epically wrong.

Posted by: TJ Parker | Dec 23, 2011 8:46:53 AM

2. Davey owns a shirt! Who knew?

Otherwise a cute video with a nice message and his parents are clearly comfortable with his sexuality and they obviously love him. Good for him and them.

Posted by: James UK | Dec 23, 2011 8:52:57 AM

3. Parker--Absolutely! Couldn't be more offensive! If you are that distressed about opening up to parents, send a letter. It is a VERY bad idea to have someone else reveal your homosexuality to your parents.

Posted by: candideinnc | Dec 23, 2011 9:02:03 AM

4. Way to go, Davey. I am sure you have helped many young people.

Posted by: Peter | Dec 23, 2011 9:23:39 AM

5. I hope this does not herald an influx of Davey Wavey videos onto this blog. Queerty did it Ad nauseam. Towleroad is of some class, surely.

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | Dec 23, 2011 9:27:13 AM

6. The sentiment is nice, and it's well made, but when the video ends it highlights all of the shirtless video's he's done with titles like "best gay sex tips", etc. :)

Posted by: jlavoy | Dec 23, 2011 9:27:59 AM

7. Remember when Davey Wavey was relevant?

Posted by: Matt | Dec 23, 2011 9:50:10 AM

8. I don't know how well this would go, sending this video to your parents. Be VERY thoughtful about whether it's the right thing for your situation.

Also, I think doing it specifically around a holiday can be hard for many families ('You ruined (insert holiday here) for everybody, forever!') It's probably best to avoid that if you can. After all, you'll be gay for the rest of your life so any other day will be just as worthy.

Posted by: princely54 | Dec 23, 2011 9:59:25 AM

9. Sweet. I should have been so lucky.

Posted by: Ianmck | Dec 23, 2011 10:57:48 AM

10. I agree. It's best to hear you're queer directly, from your mouth and not a video.

I truly have never heard of Davey Wavey before this. However, having come out to my mother almost 12 years ago now, I needed to hear those exact three words! This video made me tear up a little.

Happy holidays, everyone! Also, if you're coming out over holiday vacation, best wishes to you!

January 2, 2000. My mom & both won't ever forget that date. ;)

Posted by: Tophu628 | Dec 23, 2011 10:58:36 AM

11. Maybe I am a bad gay but I had no idea who Davey Wavey was and with a simple Google search, I agree with James UK. It's amazing he wore a shirt for this.

Posted by: andypharmer | Dec 23, 2011 11:21:09 AM

12. Lay off the tina, Davey! Your skin looks horrible.

Posted by: Luke | Dec 23, 2011 11:57:37 AM

13. Not as interesting when it speaks.

Posted by: CJ | Dec 23, 2011 12:00:24 PM

14. I've never really understood why I don't care for Davey - he's gay, young and cute-three important requisites -and yet, and yet....

Posted by: JHR459 | Dec 23, 2011 12:20:30 PM

15. Yeah, um, no. I mean, nice idea and all, but as pointed out above, having the video end with "best gay sex tips" might be a bit traumatizing for mom and dad. Too much information, especially if they hadn't a clue, or were in denial. And the google search for images, should mom and dad do that, quickly produces a shot of Davey in his all-together (and ready for best gay sex, if you get my drift). All that aside, the delivery seemed a bit rushed - too much information too quickly.

Posted by: TJ | Dec 23, 2011 12:35:12 PM

16. With all the shirtless recommended videos on the sidebar, I don't the video can even help a closeted person out.

Posted by: hhhcce | Dec 23, 2011 1:05:09 PM

17. This guy has to make everything about himself. No Davey, you cannot steal coming out from other people. Crap advice, too!

Posted by: DannyMI | Dec 23, 2011 1:34:23 PM

18. This video will be perfect for some parents, those who'll at least be able to say, "Thank God my son isn't THAT gay.

Posted by: uffda | Dec 23, 2011 1:44:35 PM

19. GREAT VIDEO! I wish that I had the strength to handle coming out this way 35 years ago.

This is also GREAT ADVICE to parents. I wish my parents had seen this.

Posted by: Louis | Dec 23, 2011 1:46:35 PM

20. ... and pitch-hitting today for RICK, UFFDA!

Posted by: TJ | Dec 23, 2011 1:58:34 PM

21. How do you put this in a stocking? Hmmm.

Posted by: anon | Dec 23, 2011 3:29:32 PM

22. I just can't take him seriously and it's not because he's good looking.

Posted by: Bryan | Dec 23, 2011 3:33:58 PM

23. nice idea, flawed execution.

there's validity to sharing messages like this, but this won't likely be the door-opener that he wants it to be.

from volunteering with groups like PFLAG for the last number of years i can say with certainty that a great deal of help for families understanding what it means to have an LGBT child or family member is to hear from Other Families of LGBT People. Not simply another gay person, but the families of those other gay people.
    It puts the family in perspective. mothers and fathers can hear the words and messages of other mothers and fathers of LGBT people. that tends to have the most significantly positive impact.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 23, 2011 3:40:06 PM

24. Kiwi makes a great point. When I came out, my parents saw other gays as part of some kind of underground 'cult' that had somehow tricked/enticed me to join their ranks. Other gays were the last people they wanted to hear from!

Posted by: redball | Dec 23, 2011 3:59:33 PM

25. After reading these comments, I am made even more sad during this season by how needlessly bitchy and mean so many of us can be.

Posted by: Larry | Dec 23, 2011 4:22:41 PM