Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

Sailor Discharged Twice for Being Gay is Reinstated in Navy

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN) Petty Officer 2nd Class Jase Daniels, who was discharged in April 2005 and again in March 2007 under 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell', has been reinstated in the U.S. Navy.

Jase_danielsWrites SLDN in a press release:

He was sworn in on Monday, December 12, 2011.

“Today, I took an oath, and affirmed to defend the Constitution of the United States of America. I am humbled as I am reinstated to the job I love and by the enormous support I have received on this momentous day. I look forward to returning to the Defense Language Institute and ultimately, my career in the military,” said Daniels.

“The reinstatement of Petty Officer Daniels into the United States Navy underscores that all qualified and needed service members are now officially welcomed back into the ranks.  The new policy and regulations in this post-repeal era make this historic occasion possible.  We continue to work with our clients and the services to facilitate more reinstatements and help process applications for those discharged under DADT, who wish  to serve their country again, whether it be on active duty, in the reserves, or in the guard,” said Army Veteran and SLDN Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis...

...Jase Daniels is one of the plaintiffs in a case, Almy v. U.S., filed by SLDN and Morrison & Foerster in December 2010 that challenges the constitutionality of the three plaintiffs’ discharges under DADT and seeks their reinstatement to active duty.  Sarvis said resolutions for the other plaintiffs, former Air Force Major Mike Almy and former Air Force Staff Sergeant Anthony Loverde, are expected soon.

The Navy Times adds:

(SLDN's David) McKean said the Navy reinstated Daniels as a third class because at the time of his discharge he had less than 90 days time-in-grade as an E-5. Daniels will be eligible to take the E-5 exam in March.

SLDN believes Daniels is the first sailor discharged under DADT to return to active duty. “We’re not aware of any other person who’s gone back onto duty,” McKean said, “and we have a pretty extensive network out there.”

Comments

1. My Gods, I wish I was him.

Posted by: Cecil | Dec 12, 2011 7:11:29 PM

2. Why does the person pictured have the name "Knight" on his uniform? I'm guessing that's not Jase Daniels ...

Posted by: stuartismygod | Dec 12, 2011 7:20:38 PM

3. well whoever he is, is damned cute

Posted by: JWL | Dec 12, 2011 8:00:00 PM

4. That's really him in the photo. "Jason Knight" was his pseudonym in the SLDN lawsuit.

Posted by: BABH | Dec 12, 2011 8:35:08 PM

5. I'm not so sure I would want to return to the Navy, more likely I'd flip 'em the bird. But kudos to "Jason" for sticking to his beliefs and fighting it through.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 12, 2011 9:55:19 PM

6. He's a handsome guy and a cunning linguist. He's back in the navy because he's a patriot.
    He could make more money elsewhere.

Posted by: BigGuy | Dec 12, 2011 10:10:52 PM

7. Wait, he was so gay they discharged him *twice?*

Posted by: NPH | Dec 12, 2011 10:45:37 PM

8. Okay, part of me wanted to comment on his attractiveness - for humor value, of course - but the truth is, people like Jase at pretty special. Debate war and all of that all you want (and I do, on the less is more side), but here is someone who fights for what he feels is right - in and of itself admirable.

Posted by: TJ | Dec 13, 2011 3:20:02 AM

9. @NPH: Yes, he was discharged twice. He served from 2001-2005, when he was discharged for being openly gay. Then, in June 2006, he was recalled to active duty in error and served a year in Kuwait before they discharged him again after he was featured on the front page of Stars and Stripes in an article describing life as an openly gay man in the Navy.

Posted by: Ninong | Dec 13, 2011 12:17:39 PM