Darren Criss | Glee | Matt Bomer | Michael Jackson | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Matt Bomer to Play Blaine's Older Bro on 'Glee'

Bomer_crissMichael Ausiello at TV Line reports that Matt Bomer has been cast in Glee, as Blaine's older brother:

This is big for a number of reasons. Among them:
 Since this will be the first time we meet any of the other Andersons, we might finally learn a bit about Blaine’s apparently gorgeous kin. This will also be the first time a lot of people will get to hear Bomer sing — because yes, natch, his character will get in on his sib’s musical number.

Apparently Bomer can sing. TV Line has a clip from the 2010 Kennedy Center Honors.

In related news, here's the full preview clip from the upcoming Glee Michael Jackson episode, in which Criss sings "Wanna Be Startin Somethin'".

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Wann_criss

Comments

1. Matt Boner is the perfect choice for this role. Im firmly behind him.

Posted by: JWL | Jan 27, 2012 10:41:43 AM

2. Did. Not. Like... Not sure if it's my Darren Criss burn out or what but that just seemed lifeless and totally devoid of an MJ funkiness..

Posted by: dk | Jan 27, 2012 11:13:12 AM

3. That's not the best example of Bomer singing....try and get the one of him singing with that black actress/singer from White Collar where'd he sings beautifully a soul song.

Jeez, I thought everyone knew he sang? But I forget the gay blogs, well Towleroad, After Elton and Queerty barely talk about him so fair enough!

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 27, 2012 11:19:00 AM

4. I love gay show runners, this is good casting.

It makes no sense to see Blaine's siblings, but Ryan Murphy is clearly just trying to get himself into a Bomer / Criss sandwich.... and honestly who can blame him?

Posted by: Strepsi | Jan 27, 2012 12:11:43 PM

5. I don't watch Glee, but based on the performances I've seen Darren Criss strikes me as oddly... soul-less. He doesn't have the "funk" of MJ or even Tom Jones, who's not exactly funkadelic to begin with. (Plus his enunciation is terrible- I'd swear he's singing "It's Not Un-Jews-ual" in his Tom Jones cover.)

Pretty, but kinda hollow. That's my take anyway.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 27, 2012 12:19:14 PM

6. I saw an interview with Criss about "How to Succeed..." where he explained that the filming of the MJ episode of "Glee" ran so long or something that it backed up against his Broadway schedule. He ended up filming all of his scenes in four days and filming on the last day ran to 4 AM on the Friday before Christmas Eve.

So if he comes off as a bit wan, that could explain it. Say what you want about "Glee," but those actors really earn their paychecks. Sing, dance, act, record, constant rehearsal, publicity demands AND a contractually obligated worldwide tour. AND they only get a tiny sliver of any sales of the CDs and singles and ticket sales.

Posted by: FilmTurtle | Jan 27, 2012 12:26:49 PM

7. first of all...i LOVE darren criss, and he does a great white version of the MJ hit...and secondly i am the biggest MATT BOMER fan...WHITE COLLAR is so much fun to watch, and now that he is going to be in GLEE, and the filmed version of THE NORMAL HEART there will be even more fan recognition of this very handsome, sexy actor...

Posted by: mickeysquires | Jan 27, 2012 12:28:57 PM

8. This makes me happy on so many levels! Huge Bomer fan. His Kennedy Center performance was actually done when he was quite sick and he still sounded great. Love the Glee casting too although I imagine Dareen may be a little miffed since Matt will steal it! Can't wait for more White Collar, Magic Mike and Normal Heart. Always knew Matt deserved to be big.

Posted by: DBClark | Jan 27, 2012 12:46:14 PM

9. I guess it was only a matter of time before they started dropping frames from the dance scenes.

I love Glee, I just don't love ALL of Glee.

Posted by: jay | Jan 27, 2012 1:57:20 PM

10. Glee is awesome. Haven't watched the USA network since The 4400 was still on tv.

@MICKEYSQUIRES

Not all white singers or black singers or singers of any race sound the same. There's no such thing as "white" or "black" versions of anything.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jan 27, 2012 2:45:22 PM

11. Shush! This is a library! People are trying to study in peaceful quiet, but you Glee Club kids keep bursting in here singing your songs about one thing or another. One more time and I'll ban the whole lot of you from the library!

Posted by: The Librarian | Jan 27, 2012 4:31:41 PM

12. Bomer is the best. I hate most Glee songs but will be transfixed to this one. Oh, and White Collar is one of the only shows that I have to watch.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 27, 2012 5:52:07 PM

13. I agree with 'the' mickeysquires comments.

Posted by: Rich in PS | Jan 27, 2012 7:15:56 PM

14. That was a great performance by Darren Criss' crotch.

Posted by: Pyre | Jan 27, 2012 7:50:46 PM

15. Amazing how dying completely resurrected Michael Jackson's career and reputation. All people now remember is the music and the dance moves, as opposed to the millions of dollars he settled out of court with the families of various pre-teen boys.

Posted by: Dback | Jan 27, 2012 8:21:37 PM

16. Saw Criss on Broadway in How to Succeed. He was not very good. Very weak voice, limited acting skills. ho hum.

Posted by: Kevin thor | Jan 28, 2012 2:32:50 AM

17. They are so going to cash in on iTunes with this episode. God knows I'll probably buy every MJ-related Glee tune.

Posted by: Drew | Jan 28, 2012 3:34:05 AM

18. I too met Darren and watched him perform live at a function. Not so hot live as stated above and I now find comical that adult men find him hot since he looks seriously like a 4 foot tall, 12 year old.. Seems nice though.

Posted by: Morris | Jan 28, 2012 7:01:36 PM

19. All these darren criss haters...

Well for someone who doesn't perform well live, and apparently can't act, he at least seems to be able to bring in the big bucks-- and that's what really matters. His version of teenage dream is certainly still the highest grossing glee single, and he raked in something like 4 million for his mere three weeks on broadway.

Again, pretty impressive for someone who can't act or sing.

Posted by: Chad | Feb 2, 2012 1:51:55 PM