2012 Election | Barack Obama | Mitt Romney | News | Suze Orman | The View

Suze Orman on Same-Sex Marriage, Finance, and the 2012 Election: VIDEO

Orman

Think Progress LGBT posted a clip from yesterday's The View in which she said that to an ordinary person, it probably would make no difference whether Romney or Obama was in the White House, but she votes for Obama as a gay person because he will fight for the things that matter to her financially:

“Obviously, it is no secret that I’m gay. So it is very difficult for me to look at any Republican nominee and go, ‘that’s who I want in office.. My social issue affects my financial issue. And the reason why it affects my financial issue is that if I die, Kathy [Travis] — my partner — is going to lose 50 percent of what I have because we can’t be married."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't think they were listening to Suze. They maintained that she was voting on a social issue, but she qualified that by saying her social issue is also a financial issue for her. It was a great point that escaped them.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jan 12, 2012 8:21:40 AM

2. Of course the dullard Hasselback says he is more modern...

Yes compared to the rest of the GOP Neanderthals his is a regular Carl Sagan. Who ties his dog to a roof of a car, reads reformed Egyptian, and believes in magic underwear.

Yep very modern indeed.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jan 12, 2012 8:28:48 AM

3. I think Hasselbeck said "more moderate", but how is supporting a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage moderate? Too bad Suze agreed with her.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jan 12, 2012 8:43:15 AM

4. She's so *practical*! I admire that so much; I could never be that practical about anything.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Jan 12, 2012 8:49:39 AM

5. gotta disagree with Suze....Mittens SIGNED NOM's pledge....he's a Panderer,and scumbag.....tho Huntzman didnt sign it....he's Happy too, to delegate US to 2nd class citizenship.....F the GOP

Posted by: Gay American | Jan 12, 2012 8:55:45 AM

6. Suze is a pragmatist. She isn't going to lie or present a slanted view of the facts like a politician would. That's why she's okay with Hasselbeck's claim that Romney's more moderate on social issues because compared some of the other candidates (Santorum? Gingrich? Bachmann?), it's true. But Suze's essential point remains: for same-sex couples, marriage is not merely a social issue. It has profound FINANCIAL and LEGAL ramifications and this is something that EVERYONE needs to understand. Sadly, Suze makes the point but it just gets redirected by the hosts, who basically say, "so you're voting on the social issues." And that conclusion completely, completely misses the point of everything she just explained.

Posted by: atomic | Jan 12, 2012 9:02:58 AM

7. I was under the impression Suze and her partner lived in NYC where she can actually marry. Maybe she's talking from the standpoint of no federal recognition of SSM and the 1134 benefits and privileges (some of them financial) that are conferred at that level. I could be wrong though.

I wouldn't want any of the GOP candidates as president, not even Huntsman and definitely NOT Ron Paul who plays both sides of the argument by supporting DOMA if states so legislate and those who legislate marriage equality. Something not right about that.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Jan 12, 2012 9:46:39 AM

8. I'm also surprised that Suze would want Romney if it had to be a republican in the White House. Isn't she aware that Romney now supports repealing Roe v. Wade?

My only fear is if Romney gets the nomination, he may pick Governor Christie of New Jersey who would appeal to the evangelicals. If that were to happen, Obama could well be beaten because a lot of Independents are comfortable with Christie and possibly running for the presidency in future years.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Jan 12, 2012 9:49:52 AM

9. The idea of Suze being a vice president or even president and gay one at that. She herself would say "are you kidding"...um I kind of think she would be really great choice.

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Jan 12, 2012 9:52:21 AM

10. It's not a "social issue" to us, it's our lives and human dignity, duh. Shows how out of touch straight people--even straight people who probably consider themselves pro-gay--can be on the realities of anti-gay policy. It's a "social issue" to you, Babs, not to us.

Robert, I assume she was referring to marriage at the federal level. Being legally married at the state level is good within the states, but since it's meaningless at the federal level, that obviously creates all kinds of burdens and complications straight couples never have to think about.

DOMA is one litmus test of any candidate. Support it, we don't support you. All of the major Republican contenders, and the eventual nominee-Mitt, support DOMA (surprise!).

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 12, 2012 10:44:07 AM

11. Suze Orman & Lady Gaga are my main b*tches. Love em!

Posted by: redball | Jan 12, 2012 11:18:55 AM

12. I'm sick of the accusation that gays are "single issue voters." First of all, for myself and many other gay voters it isn't true since, though the Democratic party is FAR from perfect, we believe in the party's core values.

But even if it IS true for some, so what? To me casting a vote for someone who sees me as "less than" other Americans, who has pledged to supporters to WORK to limit my rights, is anathema. It's like saying that black voters should have supported Gov George Wallace even though he rejected their citizenship, their very humanity, because otherwise his policies were great. The only other option is to abstain from voting, in which case you might as well be voting FOR the GOP candidate by not nullifying the vote of someone who wants to strip you of your rights.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 12, 2012 11:37:53 AM

13. I live in Massachusetts and know the turn-coat that is Mitt Romney. It's actually because of his refusal at giving us just Civil Unions that we now have Marriage Equality. His refusal forced the courts to take up the issue and hand down the only fair decision they could...separate is not equal.

I'm a registered Dem, but am changing for the primary to vote for Huntsman. Though I don't agree with everything he says, he's WAY more moderate than Romney will be. Unless the polls suggest he should be more socially conscious, then he will be.

Posted by: Ricster02150 | Jan 12, 2012 11:44:18 AM

14. get rid of the lesbian....who needs her, another loser....

Posted by: elga krutz | Aug 29, 2012 8:54:58 AM