Alabama | Crime | Sports

Redneck Sexual Assault Captured On Video (UPDATED)

Picture 34
Direct from the Deep South, the Real America, where people respect the individual and old-fashioned gentility reigns: WATCH, AFTER THE JUMP, as what appears to be a University of Alabama student sexually assaults a young man who's passed out from (I assume) alcohol poisoning at a sporting event, while a dozen or more fellow students cheer him on. (NSFW)

And hey, University of Alabama, if you're reading: Do you recognize this kid? Are you going to speak with him? Because in the era of cell phone cameras, too many incidents like this one could really damage your sterling reputation.

UPDATE: Never mind. This wasn't a sporting event at all -- apparently, despite all the Alabamian regalia, this occured in a Krystal fast food joint on Bourbon Street in New Orleans during last night's game. And the perp's not a student. He's an actual grown male who seems proud of his behavior, and who has taken to bragging about it on Twitter. There's a rumor about that the victim has since died, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that's the case.

UPDATE: The clip has been taken down. Deadspin has a copy posted.

Comments

1. Wow

Posted by: KL | Jan 15, 2012 4:28:56 PM

2. Well, that makes a lot of sense. After all, absolutely anybody could call a medic.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 15, 2012 4:30:48 PM

3. Yep, that's Alabama.

Posted by: Bobby | Jan 15, 2012 4:33:41 PM

4. this makes me sick.... and we wonder why our soldiers piss on the dead...

Posted by: V-8 | Jan 15, 2012 4:35:24 PM

5. Extremely disturbing. No one called 911. Perhaps the guy passed out from alcohol, but it could be something far worse, like a diabetic experiencing insulin-induced hypoglycemia, or some other urgent health condition.

Posted by: Alex | Jan 15, 2012 4:39:37 PM

6. These young people are the future of America? REALLY? Oh no...

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 15, 2012 4:44:27 PM

7. I'm not so stupid and full of hate that I think this kind of thing only happens in Alabama. It happens anywhere there are dumb drunk kids. Making this an anti-Southern thing is as prejudiced as the people who are against US. Brandon, your posts are never as measured and as fair as Andy's.

Posted by: Bakeley | Jan 15, 2012 4:47:51 PM

8. Totally ticks me off that no one called cops or medics. I really do hope this is investigated!

Posted by: Dawn | Jan 15, 2012 4:48:22 PM

9. what country do i live in?

Posted by: normadesmond | Jan 15, 2012 4:48:33 PM

10. You really do an injustice to true victims of sexual assault, shame on you Andy for this. I think what you wrote here is worse than what these idiots did.

Posted by: Kyle | Jan 15, 2012 4:56:38 PM

11. Keeping it Klassy, Alabama.

Posted by: Gruntled | Jan 15, 2012 5:03:20 PM

12. The behavior is juvenile, but I wouldn't call it a sexual assault.

Posted by: JP | Jan 15, 2012 5:04:15 PM

13. Ladies and Gentlemen, Southern values.

Posted by: Aulton | Jan 15, 2012 5:05:05 PM

14. This is from last Monday night's BCS title game - the Superbowl of college football - where Alabama upset LSU 21-0. "In vino veritas" indeed. Aside from being absolutely mortified, these kids are in a lot of trouble.

Posted by: Grady | Jan 15, 2012 5:05:51 PM

15. Bakeley: Thanks for reading. I am a southerner myself, and glad for it. And I have witnessed, first-hand, how my fellow southerners seem to believe that moral depravity is a uniquely northern problem. So I try to point out contrary evidence whenever possible. - BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Jan 15, 2012 5:07:26 PM

16. by definition it *is* sexual assault.

or is it only sexual assault if a gay person "hits on" a straight person, of if the unconscious person is a female?

i dunno. passed-out person is humped by someone with their genitals exposed.

is that NOT sexual assault?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 15, 2012 5:08:26 PM

17. Vot a mishegoss: I hope the guy that committed this assault isn't kidding himself that he's straight because when he opened his pants he was sporting a pretty obvious erection.

Posted by: Scott Amundsen | Jan 15, 2012 5:10:13 PM

18. The video has just been taken down.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 15, 2012 5:20:54 PM

19. @JP, you wouldn't call putting your naked genitals on someone else's face when they are incapacitated sexual assault? Wow. I feel sorry for everyone around you.

Posted by: Joey Y | Jan 15, 2012 5:21:23 PM

20. Their parents must be so proud.

The thin veneer of civilization... what you have here is alcohol-fueled group dynamics. This would be a great video to show in a social psychology class, if it wasn't so disgusting and offensive. It would be nice to dismiss this as "Well, that's Alabama," but this can, and does, happen everywhere, particularly in the "Greek System" (sorry frat boys and girls, but you have the reputation you've earned). If just one person had intervened, things might have gone differently. But people take their social cues from those around them, and alcohol certainly doesn't help with judgement.

That having been said, I have never been so drunk as to do something this vile and stupid. And in a way, I feel fortunate that not being one of the group from an early age made me question the value of belonging rather than yearn to be accepted, so I have been somewhat less susceptible to group pressure. According to the comments, the video has been reported to the universities. I hope they track these people down, and that they all face charges. Something else encouraging - the video has overwhelmingly been rated "thumbs down."

Posted by: TJ | Jan 15, 2012 5:23:37 PM

21. Another shining example of Alabama fans. When they're not murdering century-old trees, they're sexually assaulting passed-out drunks. Roll Tide!

Posted by: endo | Jan 15, 2012 5:35:56 PM

22. KYLE, JP: How is this NOT a sexual assault? You know, the ignorance of such statements is truly disturbing. The dude rubbed his genitals on an unconscious, unable to consent victim. This was clearly physical contact intended to humiliate and cause harm to the victim sexually. And the video was posted on the Internet - you can hear the people talking about posting the video as the assault is happening, and of how this will ruin the victim - adding to the humiliation and degradation. Insult to injury.

I have counseled too many victims of sexual assault to think that there is much solace just because there wasn't full penetration. Please get a clue.

Posted by: TJ | Jan 15, 2012 5:44:24 PM

23. Disgusting.

Why do people think it is ok and/or "cool" to do something like that to another person, especially the other person is incapacitated by his/her own doing or otherwise? Does the perpetrator know that STDs can be transmitted just by skin contact?

Then again, alcohol abuses do bring out the worst in people.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jan 15, 2012 5:46:32 PM

24. Looks like the video has been taken down. If this was an assault I am hoping the video has gone to the police.

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 15, 2012 5:47:35 PM

25. im proud to be southern but people like that give people like me a bad name... There just plain ignorant

Posted by: Arkeith | Jan 15, 2012 6:12:16 PM