2012 Election | New Hampshire | Republican Party | Rick Santorum

Rick Santorum Faces Most Aggressive Batch of Hecklers Yet: VIDEO

Heckler

Rick Santorum had a disastrous campaign stop in Manchester, NH today where a group of hecklers continually interrupted his appearance and speech there. The WaPo reports that the group appeared to be "a combination of gay rights activists, Ron Paul supporters and Occupy Wall Street protesters."

The paper adds:

He was interrupted periodically by heckles, particularly one man who shouted every few minutes. “What about equality for the gays?” he yelled at one point and, after Santorum opened with a request for respect, “How much respect for you have for gay people, Rick!”

“Shut up!” Santorum supporters shouted back periodically, one man muttering, “glad he’s not my boyfriend” of the most vocal protester.

Hecklers continued to dog him at a stop in Keene, as can be seen on an AP video. As Santorum left the scene one man can be heard yelling, "Hey Santorum, have you Googled yourself?"

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

More on the Keene heckling from CBS News:

"I have a question and it's about gay people," asked the first man to be called on at a Santorum town hall meeting here today. "They are children of God too. Do they have the right to marriage? Do they have the right to serve in the military? Should they be treated like any other citizen? Under your presidency, would you protect their rights or would you diminish them?"

Santorum answered that he doesn't believe marriage or serving in the military are inalienable rights, but "privileges," adding, "It's not discrimination not to grant privileges."

A few people jeered him.

Comments

1. Oh, how disrespectful! This will set gay rights back! This will garner poor lil Ricky sympathy!

Okay, now that I've said it, no one else needs to. The rest of us can ponder concepts like karma and justice.

Posted by: TJ | Jan 6, 2012 8:04:08 PM

2. Privileges granted by the government, separate classes of people.

Hmm, that does sound awful American doesn't it?

I've never understood the whole "privileges" argument, the whole point of the Constitution is equalization of citizens. Everyone, at birth, in the objective eyes of the government, is worth exactly the same. 'Privilege' implies a government-sanctioned caste system. The whole idea or in-born privilege is so fiercely un-American, I'm surprised it's not rebutted as such more often.

Posted by: oh | Jan 6, 2012 8:22:50 PM

3. Driving is a privilege, will Santorum deny gays the "privilege" of driving?

Posted by: gb | Jan 6, 2012 8:51:27 PM

4. Unlike glitter bombs, I think that holding signs and asking (Ok, well shouting)tough questions gets the point across.

I'm not sure that this kind of action turns anybody against gay rights.

Santorum supporters have already made up their minds.

But, for the other folks, the demonstrators remind them that Rick Santorum has taken some pretty extreme positions.

Posted by: Continuum | Jan 6, 2012 8:55:38 PM

5. Santorum is a vile, disgusting human being and the sooner he is gone from sight the better. BTW, have you seen his kids? Not pretty!

Posted by: Michael R | Jan 6, 2012 9:00:16 PM

6. When do you think Obama will get heckled for his stance on gay marriage? I think Santorum is a jerk, but he's anti-gay marriage, just like Obama.

Posted by: alan | Jan 6, 2012 9:08:43 PM

7. @ Alan,

Specific marriage laws are being fought at the state level, which doesn't involve the president. DOMA is the federal government, which is where the president can make a difference. Obama's Justice Department is fighting to have DOMA ruled unconstitutional and will probably win a victory this month in the 1st Circuit Court. Santorum wants the Justice Department to *defend* DOMA in court. That's a big difference between Santorum and Obama.

Posted by: Artie | Jan 6, 2012 9:44:39 PM

8. Alan, There is no way on this earth that Obama is like Santorum. Open your eyes and look at the Obama record.

Posted by: brent | Jan 6, 2012 9:44:46 PM

9. @Alan
    If you think Obama is just like Santorum you are seriously deluded.

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 6, 2012 9:47:35 PM

10. FHow NOT to protest Rick Santorum. The cute guy in the hat and sunglasses ends up out-cute-ing himself. How can anyone his age NOT get that its ALL about how much you can get on the local/national news—and a song, no matter how creative and on-target, ain't gonna make it. How about just yelling, "BIGOT! BIGOT! BIGOT!" at him which not only would be heard in living rooms across the country but would, in turn, make people who haven't gotten it yet ask WHY he's being labeled that way.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Jan 6, 2012 9:48:41 PM

11. Since when is serving this pathetic nation a privilege? That's not what they called it during WW's I and II, or the Korean war and the Vietnam war . . . it was called the draft, therefore an expectation.

How is it a privilege to die for an unworthy nation, to fight for the rights of straight people to discriminate against gay people, to fight for to rights of straight people to decide at the ballot box whether or not they will allow gays the same rights?

A privilege . . . really?

I don't think so.

I served this country in the Army, when I was young and stupid, when I thought I'd left the high school mentality behind in high school . . . when I did not know that this country was unworthy of mine and other gay men and women's service.

This country is lucky not all gay people are like me, because if the man I am today was representative of who I was as a kid, and of gay people today . . . back when I had been sexually assaulted in my barracks, and assaulted two other times, when I could not satisfactorily explain why I did not have a girlfriend . . . then this country would have been without a large fighting force.

Posted by: Ricco | Jan 6, 2012 10:11:08 PM

12. RICCO - thank you for your service. I don't know what else to say right now, other than, powerful.

Posted by: TJ | Jan 6, 2012 11:15:21 PM

13. does little ricky think it is a privilege to fight and die and get wounded he has strange vision of privilege. i don't see his kids
    serving so maybe they are not privileged.

Posted by: walter | Jan 7, 2012 12:04:27 AM

14. Very soon now the protestors will have made mincemeat of this deluded idiot. It's not going to be pretty. That's a given.

But how do we make sure that our case is sypathetically heard by the population at large? I'm not sure, but living your lives in an out but friendly manner has seemed to work for me.

Thanks for some of your story Ricco, I love hearing personal stories on this website ,they educate and inspire. Thanks to all.

Posted by: uffda | Jan 7, 2012 12:57:50 AM

15. @Michael R: thank you for one of the funniest comments I've read here. And I've read quite a few.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 7, 2012 1:58:18 AM

16. Being sympathetically heard - UFFDA, you have a point. But I also think that there can be room for both being sympathetic and confrontational. For those yet convinced, being sympathetic (or, better, worthy of empathy) would be important. Being someone known, and out, provides a positive example (even though some will stop at, "He's one of the good ones."). For those that get it, who understand and are already sympathetic, being confrontational is not only accepted, but expected. As others would fight for their rights/beliefs, so they would understand you doing the same.

Posted by: TJ | Jan 7, 2012 2:56:36 AM

17. RS must feel respected. "Google yourself", well said. Let's do it (again), all of us.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 7, 2012 3:06:17 AM

18. I really do not know how anyone could be this simple, unless he was a product of inbreeding!

Posted by: classychazy | Jan 7, 2012 3:09:51 AM

19. No self-respecting gay protester would refer to gay people as "the gays". I suspect he was either a paid plant or an Occupy protester attempting to appropriate the gay rights cause for political reasons.

In any case, I don't see what the point of these anti-Santorum protests is. Santorum is clearly enjoying them. It's helping him to build credentials with the Right Wing crowd.

Posted by: jason | Jan 7, 2012 6:16:00 AM

20. Sadly look at the republicant party, what it is doung in DC and who is and has been running for and gaining office?? Most of them are uneducated, pseudo-christian mopes. They are certain that they are right, and the rest of us are wrong. We must all work for a major back lash against the republicant party these next few election cycles. All of you young people out there need to consider running for office. I did myself twice in Indiana state campaigns. We must all be involved!

Posted by: billmiller | Jan 7, 2012 10:16:51 AM

21. These protests are superb, in all their incarnations. The "average" Americans, the ones in the middle who support marriage equality OR civil unions, the ones who supported DADT repeal by over 80+% and agree with non discrimination in the workplace and housing and in general that we should have equality, need to hear exactly how extreme Santorum, and some of the other candidates, are. The extreme far right doesn't matter because they agree with him and we will never change their minds, but there are millions of middle of the road, independent, or even moderate Republican voters who have never heard of Santorum, or barely, and for whom these extreme ideas will sound totally nuts and be a complete turn off. On equality, on a woman's right to choose, on contraception, on the idea that having babies will lift you out of poverty.... and the media is talking about these protests every night.

Keep it up folks.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jan 7, 2012 10:21:03 AM

22. MichaelandFred,

Keep in mind that Obama does not support gay marriage either. I'd love to see you protesting at one of his speeches. Pigs might fly, eh?

On a woman's right to choose, would you support a woman's right to abort a baby with a gay gene?

I truly don't think you've thought about these issues. Think before you speak.

Posted by: jason | Jan 7, 2012 10:57:31 AM

23. During Santorum's "victory" speech after the Iowa caucuses, he invoked his Italian immigrant grandfather. I wondered whether Santorum was an Americanized version of Santorini (in which case, he would have ample reason to want to go back to the original). It turns out there is an interesting etymology to his name that he may ironically/arrogantly apply to himself:

SANTORI, SANTORIO, SANTORELLI, SANTORIELLI, SANTORINI, SANTORUM: From the medieval first name Santoro, derived from the Latin word Sanctus = Saint, the genitive plural form is "Sanctorum", used also to indicate the All Saints feast. Possibly connected to someone acting as a saint, or who has connection with religious things (a sacristan).

For this despicable and petty man, the meaning behind his surname couldn't be further from the truth.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 7, 2012 11:25:55 AM

24. "Keep in mind that Obama does not support gay marriage either."

Jason, as usual you're on another planet, just like your alter-ego, Alan, above you, and your other alter-ego, Rick.

Obama has been protested on any number of issues, but on lgbt rights he is not at all comparable to raging bigots like Santorum. Unlike Santorum, Obama opposes DOMA (and his DOJ has stopped defending it), opposes interfering in states that have passed equality, is not pushing to invalidate ALL legal marriages of same-sex couples, is not calling for the reinstatement of DADT, does not compare us to dogs and polygamists . . . need I go on?

For you to accuse another poster of not thinking is hilarious.

And, yes, a women should have the right to choose what to do with her own body. The "gay gene" argument is a red herring, the only dish you serve, honey.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 7, 2012 11:26:15 AM

25. As for the heckling of Santorum: I don't always love the style of individual hecklers, but I'm proud of NH citizens for rolling out the unwelcome mat at Frothy's every stop in the state. His extremist views may fly among the evangelical bigots of IA, but they won't fly where sane people live and religious zealots are scarce, and NH is showing him that sweater vests and a milquetoast aura can't disguise what a nasty little troll Rick is. The best part is that he's a thin-skinned moron incapable of articulating the simplest of arguments to support his bigotry--he's no doubt counting the hours till he can exit New England. Don't let the door hit you on your way out, sweetie. Sadly for us who love watching you squirm, your days are numbered.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 7, 2012 11:41:54 AM