Deaths

Singer Etta James Dies at 73

Singer Etta James has died at 73:

JamesShe died from complications from leukemia with her husband, Artis Mills, and her sons by her side, De Leon said.

She was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010, and also suffered from dementia and hepatitis C. James died at a hospital in Riverside, California. She would have turned 74 Wednesday.

" This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world," De Leon said. "She was a true original who could sing it all -- her music defied category.

Watch James perform her iconic classic "At Last", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. RIP the great Etta James.

Posted by: Alan | Jan 20, 2012 11:56:37 AM

2. A great, great voice.

Posted by: Butch | Jan 20, 2012 12:07:56 PM

3. Legendary. Rest in peace.

Posted by: sparks | Jan 20, 2012 12:13:29 PM

4. My favorite song interpretation by Etta James is "Miss You" by the Rolling Stones. Now it is her I miss after years of thrilling music.

Posted by: trees | Jan 20, 2012 12:51:01 PM

5. One of the greats!

Posted by: charles | Jan 20, 2012 12:51:07 PM

6. It's a shame she wasn't able to sing HER song, "At Last" at the Obama Inaugural ball instead of Beyonce. She was hurt by that.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jan 20, 2012 12:58:01 PM

7. Such very sad news and the end of an era, she was just an amazing singer, RIP Etta.

Posted by: SeanR | Jan 20, 2012 1:05:51 PM

8. R.I.P. Etta! The so-called divas of today can't hold a candle to you.

Posted by: Christian | Jan 20, 2012 3:08:08 PM

9. I saw her live back in the 80's in a tiny club (Catalina Bar & Grill, maybe?). There was no stage, and she was literally a couple of feet from me as she sang. She was very overweight at the time, and did the whole show in her bare feet. She only did about 5 or 6 numbers, and only one of them was one of her hits (I'd Rather Go Blind). I do remember she sang Randy Newman's "You Can Leave Your Hat On" as well as a beautiful number I'd never heard before called "Sugar on the Floor" by Kiki Dee. I've since heard Kiki's original version, as well as Elton John's cover, but Etta James owns that song, just like she owned "At Last" and just about anything she ever sang.

Posted by: Andy | Jan 20, 2012 9:08:04 PM

10. One of the real and true greats, never a false note. I saw her at the Montreal Jazz Fest just a few years ago, and she still had it going on. And she kept recording great music long after the initial hits. RIP, Etta.

P.S. I agree, Andy, about Sugar on the Floor. I picked one of her live versions of it as my tribute choice. Not that "At Last" wasn't a classic, and definitively hers, but she was a lot more than that one song.

Posted by: Ernest | Jan 20, 2012 9:34:35 PM