2012 Election | Daniel Radcliffe | News | Ryan Gosling

BigGayDeal.com

Daniel Radcliffe 'Disgusted' by Anti-Gay GOP Presidential Candidates, Has Man Crush on Ryan Gosling

Radcliffe

Once again, Daniel Radcliffe demonstrates that he's one of the smartest actors out there, and best advocates for LGBT rights. In an Attitude magazine cover story which I picked up on the iPad, Radcliffe talks at length about anti-gay bullying and why straight kids should show their support. He also has good taste in men.

Daniel_radcliffeSays Radcliffe:

"Don't define yourself by your sexuality, don't define as straight or gay, define yourself as people and help another person if they're in trouble. The ultimate reason gay marriage should be legalized everywhere is because, as a kid, you look to your mum and dad and they're married, then you look at the gay couple who've been together for the same amount of time, but because they can't get married their relationship doesn't seem the same. Yes, gay marriage is about symbolically blessing a relationship, but the larger issue is about transmitting a fundamental message about equality. Gay people should have equality in law everywhere. If you grow up as a young gay man knowing you dont' have the same opportuniteies as everyone else, you're going to feel victimised and massive prejudice towards you."

Radcliffe slammed religion's influence on schools and the religious Right's efforts to affect legislation affecting LGBT people:

"I'm not religious, I'm an atheist, and a militant atheist when religion starts impacting on legislation. We need sex education in schools. Schools have to talk to kids from a young age about relationships, gay and straight."

The article notes that Radcliffe has been "disgusted, amazed, stunned" by GOP candidates like Rick Santorum and Michele Bachmann, and their open hostility to gay rights. But he has a special dislike of one in particular:

"...they disgusted me less than candidates like Rick Perry, who made that ridiculous advert wearing 'the Brokeback jacket', and I think pretend to be homophobic just to win votes."

Radcliffe also says he wishes Obama could come out for marriage equality but understands the political underpinnings behind his position:

"Yes, I do, but can he really? Of course he's in favour of it, but he has to be careful about saying so. I'd rather have someone like him in the White House than the alternative."

Finally, has Radcliffe ever considered that he might be gay? Yes. Is he?

"No. I can quite happily say someone is handsome, good-looking, and I can see why someone would want to f**k them, but I've never felt that way about a man myself. There is that moment in your late teens when you ask yourself the question, 'Am I?' but I wasn't...Well, this year I have a talent crush on Ryan Gosling. I think he's fantastic and...(ahem) you know he'd be nice afterwards. He seems smart. If I was gay, I would go for a smart man."

Comments

1. I just love Danielle Radcliffe; he seems to just keep getting better and better!

Posted by: Jim | Feb 6, 2012 8:31:46 AM

2. Daniel is amazing. Wise words from someone so young! Wouldn't it be great if there were an American actor with similar wisdom? Where on earth are the Americans?

Oh, that's right, American actors are highly controlled by their control-freak agents. Everything has to be passed by the agent. Agents tend to be homophobic. Sad, really.

Posted by: jason | Feb 6, 2012 8:41:20 AM

3. A breath of fresh air! What an amazing young man. If only we had more people like him in politics.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Feb 6, 2012 8:58:28 AM

4. I just know, Daniel would be nice afterwards.
    Love him.

Posted by: RobWest | Feb 6, 2012 9:09:01 AM

5. Daniel Radcliffe is a class act all round, and a damn good actor too.

I love that even from a young age he's given back: and that it is to the Trevor Project was inspired.

@JASON: don't forget the other factor, in the U.S. everything everything political is measured against the predictably rabid reaction of frothing Christianists and their imagined majority status.

Posted by: Strepsi | Feb 6, 2012 9:16:24 AM

6. He is simply adorable. From young actor through the fame machine to a good hearted adult.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 6, 2012 9:29:35 AM

7. I loved his performance on Broadway in HOW TO SUCCEED WITHOUT REALLY TRYING and now it looks like I'll have to watch those Harry Potter films. He's terrific and clearly "gets it".

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Feb 6, 2012 9:40:22 AM

8. I like this guy. I like what's on the inside.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvationsTo | Feb 6, 2012 10:04:42 AM

9. They did a great job in the second photo making him look super gay. I love it.

Posted by: David in NYC | Feb 6, 2012 10:30:37 AM

10. Terrible job in how to succeed, terrible job in Equus, perhaps as a foreign citizen he should stfu about our Presidential candidates as he is just a one note actor who has dreams of grandeur.

Posted by: Kevin thor | Feb 6, 2012 11:07:41 AM

11. Can it "Thor" He's perfect.

Next he's playing Allen Ginsberg in "Kill Your Darlings" -- a movie about the Lucien Carr murder case. Craig Chester is in it playing he tells me "an older man who loves to seduce younger ones." He can't wait to work with Daniel because "He's a major Fag-Hag."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 6, 2012 11:12:14 AM

12. I hope somebody manages to get DR and Joseph Gordon-Leviit together in a film some time.

Posted by: gregory brown | Feb 6, 2012 11:33:04 AM

13. this guy is what every straight man should aspire to be.

legit.

witty, talented, humble, graceful, and sharp as a whip. KUDOS!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 6, 2012 11:47:16 AM

14. There is: Katherine Heigl. And she gets crucified for it.

Posted by: Tarc | Feb 6, 2012 1:03:43 PM

15. Funny, Thor, his runs in Equus and How To Succeed were sold out for the whole run, with his stint in How To breaking the record for the theater for box office. Both roles were critically lauded, and every single person I know that saw him in either loved it. *shrugs* Haters hate.

Posted by: Tarc | Feb 6, 2012 1:07:42 PM

16. @Thor. So, what you're saying is that no foreigners should discuss or have an opinion about other countries' elections? You really think so?...hm.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Feb 6, 2012 2:30:18 PM

17. Nice kid and very smart. I like what he says, generally. But i have to wonder if some of what he is saying is just about saying what he knows will make him liked, the fad statements of the moment. Still, bright, wonderful, gorgeous guy.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Feb 6, 2012 4:21:02 PM

18. Hey, Daniel, Obama is against gay marriage but you are ok with that because it is purely to pacify the people politically. However, you are against other politicians for having the same stance. Hmmmmm??????

Posted by: AddisonDeWitt | Feb 6, 2012 4:58:05 PM

19. I praise him not only for his outspoken stance on gay rights, he is not shameful either to express his point as an atheist, for me it’s double good check. Given the far reach his words can have –being so famous, lauded and current- it’s even more important.
    So good to see the new generations being less compromised and fearful.

Posted by: Poporochoclo | Feb 6, 2012 5:20:58 PM

20. I am ruled by whatever a rich and famous and semi-attractive young person says.

Posted by: J.D. | Feb 6, 2012 6:21:12 PM

21. Well, I just read through the tired and predictable comments here from the usual cast of pathetic, badly-aging middle-aged queens, and I just to say that a good dose of Tank wisdom is needed here. If this guy wasn't so cute in a twinkish kind of way, you all would not give him the time of day and neither would you delight in his rather conventional views on the world. Just because you want to bang a guy doesn't mean that his words are profound, girlfriends! Sorry to be so blunt, but hey, if Tank doesn't keep it real around here, who will?

Posted by: TANK | Feb 6, 2012 9:00:57 PM

22. He just cast yet another spell on me. Love him.

Posted by: Drew | Feb 6, 2012 9:55:33 PM

23. I hear you, Tank. This guy's going to hit the skids at thirty and no one will care that he was Harry Potter or anything else. Since Daniel is cursing people out about pretending they're something when they're not, when he's going to finally come out? The lady doth protest too much.

Posted by: Rocky | Feb 6, 2012 10:01:06 PM

24. I "so" love this kid - just got a great head on his shoulders and a good following as well. Hell, he's got good taste in men too!

Posted by: TyInTenn | Feb 6, 2012 10:14:36 PM