Advertising | News | Super Bowl

BigGayDeal.com

It Also Comes in Male: VIDEO

Malecouch

Somehow I missed this one during the Super Bowl, but the new Toyota Camry ad gives a welcome nod to the potentially gay and/or bisexual customer.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via outsports)

Comments

1. Great commercial. Positive and funny!

Posted by: Glenn | Feb 7, 2012 10:04:13 AM

2. I'd prefer a softer, more plush couch.

Posted by: tom a | Feb 7, 2012 10:07:31 AM

3. The guy on the far right has the perfect arch... not his first time in that position.

Posted by: endo | Feb 7, 2012 10:22:47 AM

4. LOL, Endo, he does seem to know how to "present" himself.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Feb 7, 2012 10:29:25 AM

5. Why has nothing been said about Jack in the Box - which implies that a man can marry bacon. Isn't that what marriage opponents are saying about gay marriage.

Posted by: Stephen S | Feb 7, 2012 10:39:37 AM

6. I love the guy's reaction when he sees "it also comes in male"

Posted by: Paul Keckonen | Feb 7, 2012 10:47:14 AM

7. Wow, well we know what kind of cars won't be in the Tim Horton's drive-thru...

Posted by: kpo5 | Feb 7, 2012 11:05:42 AM

8. I call dibs on sitting in the middle...

Posted by: TJ | Feb 7, 2012 11:06:00 AM

9. What if that gay/bisexual customer likes bears? These hard bodies do nothing for me.

Posted by: J | Feb 7, 2012 11:21:55 AM

10. As a massage therapist, I just have to vent my pet peeve: The ad says that the reinvented police officer is also a "masseuse". Male massage therapists are masseurs, only females are masseuses. Besides that, the terms masseur/masseuse are going the way of "stewardess" and "waitress" (flight attendant and server). I'm not trying to be overly PC and don't mind being called a masseur, but at least Toyota could have gotten the gender right on an outdated term.

Posted by: Chadd | Feb 7, 2012 11:32:34 AM

11. Great. I prefer all male version.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 7, 2012 11:36:05 AM

12. I suspect the smart retailes will provide multiple styles to suit varying tastes, J. I'm sure their showroom will have the overstuffed sofa you prefer. And Lazboy is sure to offer a big, plush recliner. With drink holders and a large adjusting lever.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 7, 2012 11:37:00 AM

13. "retailers"

Posted by: TJ | Feb 7, 2012 11:38:29 AM

14. I think it's more a nod to EVERYONE who prefers men (gay men and women). Let's not be too self involved.

As for the ad, it's my favorite superbowl ad. I watched it three times, and it made me laugh outloud.

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Feb 7, 2012 12:02:49 PM

15. I think I need to remodel my Living Room.

Posted by: SFRowGuy | Feb 7, 2012 12:34:18 PM

16. That was by far my favorite commercial, specifically for the guy's expression after seeing the male couch. My jaw dropped and all I could think was, "Yes, they actually went there! And during the Super Bowl no less!"

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 7, 2012 1:01:01 PM

17. I knew I could count on you to get that screen grab available. That was on my wish list.

Posted by: David | Feb 7, 2012 1:20:45 PM

18. I agree with Chadd: as a massage therapist, it's also my pet peeve when people call me or other male therapists "masseuse." That's a woman massage therapist.

Posted by: Luis | Feb 7, 2012 1:22:22 PM

19. The couch gag was pretty funny. The "this is the reinvented baby; it doesn't poop. It is also a time machine." line got me laughing though.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Feb 7, 2012 1:30:26 PM

20. PS I've watched it now a few times. The acting is pretty incredible throughout, too. I mean, really really good comic acting, great directing. They nailed it. Hats off to them!

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Feb 7, 2012 1:32:44 PM

21. "I call dibs on sitting in the middle..."

Couches are for laying down...

Posted by: BobN | Feb 7, 2012 2:46:10 PM

22. None of those guys do it for me. They look twinkie or something. I dunno, then the one in the middle has bigger boobs than I do.

Give me Chris Hemsworth any day of the mofo week.

Posted by: Rin | Feb 7, 2012 3:09:57 PM

23. The third guy looks spookily like one of my brothers or me.

Yes, they aren't bears, but they are not twinks. There are other body types. It was well done.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 7, 2012 6:58:38 PM

24. Pardon me for being shallow, but did you see the abs on the last guy in the rain?

Posted by: Frank S | Feb 7, 2012 7:30:37 PM

25. BOBN - you use your couch your way, I'll use mine in mine.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 7, 2012 8:54:55 PM