Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | News | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

White House Has No Specific Comment on Prop 8 Ruling, Opposes Discrimination: VIDEO

Carney

Press Secretary Jay Carney was asked if the White House had any official response to today's ruling upholding the strikedown of Proposition 8.

Said Carney:

“I don’t have a comment on litigation in general and in this litigation to which we are not a party.. Beyond that, I can say that the President has long opposed, as you know, divisive and discriminatory efforts to deny rights and benefits to same-sex couples.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: Chris Johnson has an update on the White House briefing:

A total of six news outlets asked Carney about marriage and the Proposition 8 decision: Reuters, the Wall Street Journal, NBC News, the Huffington Post, American Urban Radio and the Washington Blade.

Comments

1. Oh evolve already!

Posted by: David | Feb 7, 2012 2:57:19 PM

2. He'll evolve (flip flop) on the issue when he's out of office, maybe as early as 2013. I thought we were suppose to be equal in the Democratic Party. I know our money works just as good.

Posted by: Name: | Feb 7, 2012 3:13:05 PM

3. david

The Wh stance is good

This is going to the supreme court and if Obama says anything then our enemies will make it all about Obama

best for Obama to stay mum at this point and get it to the supremes quickly so it can be done and over with

Posted by: say what | Feb 7, 2012 3:18:24 PM

4. Before the Obama bashers come out, just a reminder... he is the only President in US history to support federal recognition for same sex marriages and he is currently the only major candidate for President in 2012 who supports federal recognition of same sex marriage.

Posted by: J.P. | Feb 7, 2012 3:21:18 PM

5. Thank you J.P. I wish the rest of cranky imbecile Obama haters would stay inside until November. You are going to help elect 8 years of Republican rule and set gay rights back for decades

Posted by: Mike C. | Feb 7, 2012 3:29:04 PM

6. I don't care if Obama never says the word "gay" ... as long as he appoints a liberal justice to the next Supreme Court vacancy.

Posted by: endo | Feb 7, 2012 3:48:54 PM

7. The evolution will be complete after the election. Win or lose, I foresee him supporting full marriage equality when the specter of the elections isn't hanging over him. We may not like it, but strategically, it's probably a wise decision for us all.

Posted by: DanO | Feb 7, 2012 3:49:14 PM

8. I, Mitt Romney, pledge to the American people that if elected President, I will:

One, support sending a federal constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman to the states for ratification.

Two, nominate to the U.S. Supreme Court and federal bench judges who are committed to restraint and to applying the original meaning of the Constitution, appoint an attorney general similarly committed, and thus reject the idea our Founding Fathers inserted a right to gay marriage into our Constitution.

Three, defend the federal Defense of Marriage Act vigorously in court.

Four, establish a presidential commission on religious liberty to investigate and document reports of Americans who have been harassed or threatened for exercising key civil rights to organize, to speak, to donate or to vote for marriage and to propose new protections, if needed.

Five, advance legislation to return to the people of the District of Columbia their right to vote on marriage.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 7, 2012 3:53:16 PM

9. anyone who doesn't understand that President Obama clearly has a plan for us all, and wholly understand how to cement his place on the right side of history, is likely some bitter GOProud-wannabe racist.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 7, 2012 4:04:43 PM

10. @Matt, that about sums up what a Non-Obama presidency would look like for LGBT voters and the future in general. Seriously, this is the ONE election we can NOT afford to lose. How is this not obvious!

Posted by: RonTEX | Feb 7, 2012 4:10:25 PM

11. Obama supports it, believe me. He can't come out and say it let alone declare support for marriage equality, political suicide if he wants to get re-elected. I'm amazed that there was far less criticism when a republican was in the White House. Assuming he wins a second term, hopefully, he'll have nothing to lose but evolve 360% to come out in support.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Feb 7, 2012 4:17:51 PM

12. By the way, can I just call dibs on Jay Carney? He is geek hotness.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 7, 2012 4:20:59 PM

13. Yeah, I totally, completely agree that it's just not strategically realistic for Obama to declare support for marriage equality. Or at best, it's a major risk. I'd rather him take his time for political reasons and win a second term, than declare it now and lose.

That said, simply putting out a statement that he agrees with the decision is not the same as coming out in favor of marriage equality. He's already criticized Prop 8 and other anti-marriage amendments -- why not celebrate its loss in court? That would be a pretty safe press release, and it would really hearten his supporters. This non-statement is a bit deflating.

Posted by: rafi | Feb 7, 2012 5:14:51 PM

14. I do believe that Obama has a BIG place in history waiting for him, LGBT rights will be a part of it (already are) but not all. His greatest task has not yet become clear, but it will. Thrilling times, oh yes. It is a privilege to be alive.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 7, 2012 5:22:05 PM

15. Let's see with Romney we'll get a lot of right-wing Christianist crap meaning nothing will happen on the gay rights front while he is in office. With Obama we'll get cocktail parties for HRC, lots of pretty speeches about how equality belongs to everyone, and a DOJ that continues to carry out a vicious grudge prosecution of Dan Choi for his role in bringing down DADT. A choice between a no holds-barred homophobe or a sneaky, behind the scenes homophobe who says all the right things but does the opposite when he thinks nobody's paying attention. I'm not voting for either one.

Posted by: Brad | Feb 8, 2012 12:41:50 AM

16. I just wish Chris Johnson just shut the fcukup. This is all he asks every damn time he's at one these press briefings.

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Feb 8, 2012 2:22:10 AM

17. Amazing write-up! This could http://463.blogs.com/the_463/2006/10/say_it_aint_joe.html#commentsaid plenty of people find out more about this particular issue. Are you keen to integrate video clips coupled with these? It would absolutely help out. Your conclusion was spot on and thanks to you; I probably won’t have to describe everything to my pals. I can simply direct them here!

Posted by: cheap bras | Feb 15, 2012 4:06:56 AM

18. Very good written article. It will be helpful to anyone who uses it, including yours truly. Keep up the good work – for sure i will check out more posts. http://www.louboutinshoes2u.com

Posted by: Christian Louboutin Sale | May 4, 2012 9:58:26 PM

19. I absolutely love this site.. shoes came right on time nd they areee generous got 2 pairs and the stitching A quality love them, The design and the look of your site are really nice! It makes my reading even more interesting and pleasant! - http://www.kisslouboutin.com/

Posted by: Discount Christian Louboutin Shoes | May 4, 2012 9:58:36 PM

20. This is the best blog I’ve ever seen in my life! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share this with everyone. http://www.christianlouboutinshoesexy.com

Posted by: Christian Louboutin | May 4, 2012 9:58:48 PM