News | NOM | Starbucks

NOM Announces Starbucks Boycott After Being Smacked Down at Shareholders Meeting: AUDIO

Jonathan Baker, the Director of the ironically named 'Corporate Fairness Project' at the National Organization for Marriage, stood up today at the Starbucks shareholders meeting and asked if the company's statement in support of same-sex marriage (that it is "core to who we are as a company") came from the top down, Good as You reports.

BakerStarbucks chairman and CEO Howard Shultz then got a big round of applause from shareholders when he answered Baker:

"I would assure you that the senior team at Starbucks discussed it, and it was, to be candid with you, not a difficult decision for us."

Following the meeting, NOM announced a boycott of the company, and an accompanying website, Dump Starbucks.

"Unlike our opponents, we do not target whole companies for the actions of an individual business executive in that company," said Brian Brown, NOM's president. "But Starbucks has taken a corporate position in support of redefining marriage for all of society. We will not tolerate an international company attempting to force its misguided values on citizens. The majority of Americans and virtually every consumer in some countries in which Starbucks operates believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. They will not be pleased to learn that their money is being used to advance gay marriage in society."

Listen to Baker's question and takedown, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. i'm not known for buying starbucks coffee that much but i think i might now just increase my usage a little.

Posted by: alguien | Mar 21, 2012 6:12:53 PM

2. All of the sudden, I have an enormous hankering for a very large latte...

Posted by: kit | Mar 21, 2012 6:14:14 PM

3. <--- grabbing a starbucks coffee on his way to buy his mum a smart lil'pantsuit from JC Penney.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 6:22:18 PM

4. Right on, Alguien! I loathe the taste of Starbucks burnt espresso roast, but I'd choke down a Starbucks latte every day if it will force Brain Brown and Maggie Gallagher back into whatever pit they crawled out of.

Posted by: FFS | Mar 21, 2012 6:22:18 PM

5. I just wish they had more decaf.

What's a NOM bigot to do? No Starbuck's coffee for you! No JC Penney's, no Disney, what's next?

Posted by: No kidding | Mar 21, 2012 6:24:14 PM

6. After I left my job at Starbucks I swore I would only buy from small locally owned coffee shops. I'm going to be eating those words starting in about 10 minutes.

Posted by: rayrayj | Mar 21, 2012 6:26:39 PM

7. It's a good thing no one in the right wing ever organizes boycotts... oh wait..

Posted by: yuninv | Mar 21, 2012 6:27:08 PM

8. What's next? Hopefully, no money, no platform, no point. Suck it, NOM!

Posted by: TJ | Mar 21, 2012 6:29:30 PM

9. All of a sudden, my afternoon caramel machiotto got even better.

Posted by: KJ | Mar 21, 2012 6:35:24 PM

10. "We will not tolerate" - nuff said.

Posted by: Notkony | Mar 21, 2012 6:37:36 PM

11. NOM & its ilk wanted a cultural war; they got a cultural war; they are losing that cultural war...

when will they learn that equality is something that is not negotiable and cannot be left to any group that lives tyranny - whether a majority or a minority!

Posted by: mike/ | Mar 21, 2012 6:42:03 PM

12. Now that Starbucks has revamped their Tazo Tea line and made it whole leaf tea, it's excellent!
    Go Starbucks! Kudos for standing up for what is right!

Posted by: Oliver | Mar 21, 2012 6:42:25 PM

13. So we'll just have a lot of sluggish religious nuts out there....ooooooh, I'm scared.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 21, 2012 6:50:59 PM

14. I guess I'll have to stop razzing my bf for drinking their coffee that he does not even like (but he loves their friendly baristas, and his is two-thirds milk anyway). When he learns it's being boycotted by NOM, he'll start going two or three times a day instead of just once.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 21, 2012 6:53:28 PM

15. I don't drink coffee and Starbucks tea isn't very good, but this means I'll buy it whenever I can. Oh well at least their Belgian waffles are good.

Posted by: Winston | Mar 21, 2012 7:01:14 PM

16. Ha! Take down! This is great publicity for Starbucks and I'm off to buy a grande americano with room for cream.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 21, 2012 7:01:48 PM

17. Such crap, such CRAP! I am so sick and tired of NOM! I sincerely hope this is the last gasp of breath from a dying organization! Really, it's time to stop the bigotry already!

Posted by: alex | Mar 21, 2012 7:01:52 PM

18. @FFS: Their drip coffee doesn't compare to the other choices. This morning, I had a Quad Espresso on ice in a venti cup. Then smoothe out the taste with a splash of cream. Delicious! I highly recommend it.
    I feel so proud to be a daily customer of Starbucks when I see the round of applause that was given here for the leaders' choice not to shy away from standing up for equality.
    I get a card in the mail for a free drink for every 15 purchases I make at Starbucks, and I'm happy to say that I get A LOT of those cards in my mailbox.
    I'm tempted to go back for seconds now.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 21, 2012 7:03:47 PM

19. Now if we could only get rid of the people at Starbucks who never buy anything but take up tables for 4 hours!

Posted by: endo | Mar 21, 2012 7:16:26 PM

20. Why does he say "...attempting to force its misguided values on citizens."? How is taking a stance "forcing"?

Q. Why do people feel the need to use this rhetoric?

A. Because they know they are in the weakest position.

Posted by: Aaron C. Yeagle | Mar 21, 2012 7:19:43 PM

21. if you to the website it won't let you leave a message to let them know what you think. hope this boycott goes as well as all their others.

Posted by: walter | Mar 21, 2012 7:28:09 PM

22. Do we know the position of Dunkin Donuts on LGBT inclusion? Are there alternatives for NOM supporters or are they left to drinking unflavored water as a result of their boycotts?

Posted by: anthony | Mar 21, 2012 7:29:24 PM

23. another blathering blowhard who can't accept how badly he wants it up the

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Mar 21, 2012 7:35:51 PM

24. MORMONS, WHO DO NOT DRINK COFFEE, ARE AT LEAST HALF THE SUPPORT OF NOM. The other officials, like Brown, are goofy catholics of the Santorum ilk. NOM also gets money from assorted a-hole religious groups.
    Starbucks, even if the company had neutral feelings, made the smart business decision, as they would rightly lose their best employees if they caved in to hate.

Posted by: Bob | Mar 21, 2012 7:40:29 PM

25. As if they can ever afford Starbucks.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 21, 2012 7:42:44 PM