Canada | Justin Bieber | Music Video

Canadian Pop Music Is Gay

Jepsen
Thanks to Gawker for this week alerting non-Canadians and non-tweens to the existence of Carly Rae Jepsen. Jepsen, a 26-year-old Canadian pop star, has allegedly created an honest-to-goodness perfect pop song which has been slowly impressing itself upon young American eardrums since the Biebs recorded a video of himself dancing to it early this year.

The song's called "Call Me Maybe," and honestly, it's not perfect. It's not even very good. But the accompanying video ends with an endearing gay twist that would've been impossible to imagine popping up in a similar piece of bouncy pop trifle even only a decade ago, and that, at least, is awesome. Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. This video was amazingly hilarious.

Posted by: lessthan | Mar 10, 2012 10:00:14 AM

2. Fun video and I liked the song too.

Posted by: Chip | Mar 10, 2012 10:19:38 AM

3. Terrible song but proud of Carly Rae for making a statement with the video.

Posted by: jamesintoronto | Mar 10, 2012 10:27:45 AM

4. Love it and the song started to grow on me a little.

Posted by: daws | Mar 10, 2012 10:45:11 AM

5. Just a teeny tiny eentsie weentsie bit repetitive. And it's definitely getting airtime in Canada (Montreal).

And how many of us have been through that at one time or another?

Posted by: KevinVT | Mar 10, 2012 10:53:06 AM

6. very good, no, actually quite excellent

Posted by: Ralph McHurley | Mar 10, 2012 10:57:06 AM

7. "But the accompanying video ends with an endearing gay twist that would've been impossible to imagine popping up in a similar piece of bouncy pop trifle even only a decade ago, and that, at least, is awesome."

"Physical". Olivia Newton-John. 31 years ago.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Mar 10, 2012 10:57:38 AM

8. Why would anyone mar a beautiful body like that with a f'in tattoo?

I just don't get it.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 10, 2012 10:57:59 AM

9. You snobby snots...the song was sweet as could be, oh right, it didn't sound like a Martian singing through it's nose (techno). The video was as adorable as the young ones (she'll get over him, but it will take me longer). XOXO

Posted by: uffda | Mar 10, 2012 11:00:48 AM

10. Funny video, HOT guy and the song is pretty catchy. The comments on the youtube page are almost all positive, gives me hope for this next generation.

Posted by: RonTEX | Mar 10, 2012 11:01:15 AM

11. Yes, the ending is very "cute" (as is the starring boy), but is this the best we can hope for? A female singer with a video where we get a gay moment and a punchline at that? Where are the openly gay performers with gay themed music videos?

Take a look at Adam Tyler's "Like A Drug" (http://youtu.be/9QirVyfZMHQ), which is at best a bisexual video. It is rather obvious that Adam is gay, so why play this "bisexual" in the video? Is it to calm the fears of the record company?

I am tired of us being nothing more than punchline fleeting moments.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Mar 10, 2012 11:01:22 AM

12. The facial expressions were interesting. They were a visual expression of 'WTF'

Posted by: Charlie | Mar 10, 2012 11:02:08 AM

13. ahh, it's cute. So are puppies. It's all good...

Posted by: bozemanmontana | Mar 10, 2012 11:02:55 AM

14. Some days it's nice to have a little sugar sweet pop.

Posted by: Dave | Mar 10, 2012 11:03:04 AM

15. A touch of Twain, a touch of Wilson Phillips and in comparison to much of today's music, enjoyable! Music doesn't have to be gimmicky or vulgar. It just has to connect with an audience.

Enjoyable video too!

Posted by: Marc C | Mar 10, 2012 11:11:17 AM

16. Fun song, fun video, cute girl, great twist. It's worth a buck and a half, if you like to support such a progressive statement.

Posted by: Nigel | Mar 10, 2012 11:16:20 AM

17. "Where are the openly gay performers with gay themed music videos?"

Seriously, man, name a gay male pop star who has a gay male following. You can't can you?

I agree with you, but until gay men stop seeing straight women as their idols (and living vicariously through them) rather than seeing other gay men (or men in general) as such, you will never see what you are asking for.

And yes, it is pathetic.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 10, 2012 11:35:50 AM

18. Oh I am not so sure I would agree with the editorializing in the last paragraph. I would strongly recommend checking out the Cowboy Junkies 1998 video for "Miles From Our Home" - (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agd6WaqMqd0). And they totally get over the WTF looks too!

Posted by: CanadianObserver | Mar 10, 2012 11:42:33 AM

19. Four male, openly gay performers with gay-themed music videos--up to you to decide which ones you like or dislike, I make no judgement:

Jay Brannan, Housewife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNxzFPTA1y4

Matt Alber, End of the World: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTvJdpkdLiw

John Grant, Chicken Bones:

Will Young, All Time Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpWnuzVlxk

Two more openly gay performers:

Sam Sparro, American Boy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4n6eOZhGck

Chris Salvatore, Baby it's Cold Outside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-pLAw_Ayj8

Posted by: atomic | Mar 10, 2012 11:57:34 AM

20. Ditto BCarter3. Olivia Newton John's "Physical" was more surprising, more at risk with a bigger pop star, and more daring considering it was over 30 years ago.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 10, 2012 12:01:52 PM

21. When will you stupid liberals and femme queens realize that worshipping women makes things hard for the rest of us? When my father found out I was gay (he caught me blowing the maid's son) he sat me down and he said "Rick, I swear to God, if you start acting like a pansy-f@ggot I will beat you harder than I ever beat your lousy mother". And you want to know something you femme liberal queens? My father was right - because femmes deserve to get beaten because real men are just like me, tough and manly. And you can tell that I'm tough and manly because I said so from my anonymous place of internet commenting.
    My dad taught me that if you act the way a man is supposed to act then things will work out fine, and that's why my life is awesome - because nobody knows I'm gay, because you Out gays are al femme queens, and that's why I'm respected. And feminists are pathetic, too. My mom tried to get her own job once and my dad was wholly justified in beating her up and forcing her to give him oral sex in front of me and my siblings - women need to know their place.

and if you stereotypical liberal queens don't like this it's because you're jealous of how masculine I am while I type from a place of anonymous cowardice.

so yeah, this is another stupid liberal femme video and masc gay guys like me, whom you can tell are masc because we say so without proving it, are the real men.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 10, 2012 12:11:17 PM

22. This song is getting a lot of air play in Toronto - it's being pumped on Virgin Radio and is in rotation on all pop stations. And MuchMusic produced the vid, so its surely being promoted on their video channel.

Posted by: DiCKster | Mar 10, 2012 12:12:46 PM

23. Oh Remember the good old days when people actually met each other in person and fell head over heels in lust. There was NO I-gadget in sight in that video, so it's a fake.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Mar 10, 2012 12:16:07 PM

24. Please don't feed the troll.

Posted by: Marc C | Mar 10, 2012 12:17:43 PM

25. If you liberal femmes would just go back in the Closet then masculine manly butch gay men like me could Come Out, but we can't come out as long as you drag-queen diva-loving femmes are Out. It's not fair. Gay men need masculine gay male role-models but none of us Masc Gays want to Come Out because we dno't want people to think that we're femmes like you, so stop being femme and Out so that finally I can Come Out because I'm getting really old and i'm sick of having to hide in a closet so that people don't think i' a liberal fem like the stereotypical queers who like this video.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 10, 2012 12:29:00 PM