News: Easter Eggs, Tammy Baldwin, Malaysia, Out NYC, Bieber

RoadGOP candidates react to the death of Andrew Breitbart.

RoadPPP Poll: Tammy Baldwin leads all Republicans in Wisconsin U.S. Senate race.

BoRoadGay families, White House Easter Egg Roll lottery opens today.

RoadVIDEO: Matt Lauer has awkward conversation with Zac Efron about dropping his condom on the red carpet.

RoadWhite House Press Secretary tight-lipped on executive order on LGBT workplace discrimination: "I unfortunately will give you the unsatisfying answer that I don’t have any information for you on any executive order that the president may or may not intend to issue in the coming months."

RoadMad Men, Hamm return.

RoadPatrick Burke, the son of Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke and brother of the late Brendan Burke, talks about the new charity he's launching this Sunday called the You Can Play project during the Bruins-Rangers game on NBC.

RoadJustin Bieber turns 18, gets $100,000 electric car on Ellen.

HeartRoadTrans student makes history at the University of Phillippines: "Diño ran on a platform of 'zero cases of gender discrimination and sexual harassment and zero tolerance for fraternity-related violence.'"

RoadFamily Research Council's Peter Sprigg defends "ex-gay" group handing out flyers at public school in Maryland: "The most defamatory accusation about the PFOX flier is that it is 'anti-gay.' This is simply false. The flier declares, 'PFOX supports tolerance.' That means tolerance for all - homosexuals and ex-homosexuals. Apparently for some people, 'tolerance' is a one-way street."

RoadCourt rules against activists challenging Malaysia's ban on a gay arts festival: "High Court Judge Rohana Yusuf ruled Thursday in favor of government lawyers who said police were empowered to declare the ban. Festival organizers said they would appeal the verdict."

RoadTobey Maguire arrives in L.A., very thin.

RoadTaylor Kitsch gives good face at GMA.

OutnycRoadGay hotel opens its doors in NYC. "Reisner said he drew much of his inspiration from both Ian Schrager and André Balazs, whose elegant hotels with cutting edge décor are very gay friendly. The OUT NYC, Reisner said, is similar in conception and style, but is a gay hotel that is very straight friendly. By marketing it as a 'straight-friendly'urban resort, it sends the clear message that the property welcomes gays as well as straights, and tourists as well as locals, he said."

RoadIrish SOPA signed into law: "This happened despite widespread protests in Ireland against the bill."

Road"Do My Thing": Estelle and Janelle Monae team up for new track.

RoadPolice probe death of gay man in SF's Mission District: "Richard Sprague, 47, was found dead in the 100 block of Julian Avenue, between 15th and 16th streets, Sunday, February 19. Police say that he cried out for help but nobody reported finding Sprague until about 7 a.m., hours after the incident appears to have started."

Comments

1. Of course the gay hotel has giant mirrors behind the beds. Of course.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 1, 2012 4:28:28 PM

2. Yeah, because what New York City really needs is a gay hotel. Completely ridiculous.

Posted by: Jonathan | Mar 1, 2012 4:36:27 PM

3. Like Justin Bieber can't afford to buy his own $100,000.00 car... Surely there's an oppressed, scholastic student a lot more worthy... or has it just come down to this???!

Note: I'm not belittling Ellen's generosity... its just this particular circumstance - another case of "good viral marketing" as opposed to rewarding and embracing true "talent".

Posted by: Jason | Mar 1, 2012 5:01:46 PM

4. What does an 18-year-old need with a $100,000.00 car to begin with? Our hard-working society, that's more than paid it's dues, should be insulted!!!

Posted by: Jason | Mar 1, 2012 5:07:55 PM

5. We can imagine what the republican candidate thought about Breitbart but Romney's take on what Obama thinks about the Syrian president today was laughable.

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 1, 2012 6:10:08 PM

6. wrong link attached to "Do Ma Thing" piece. Should lead here:

Posted by: s parker | Mar 1, 2012 6:13:17 PM

7. I recall when I was 18 and was given a $100,000 car.

Oh wait. I was 17 and it was a used Honda Civic. Sorry.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 1, 2012 7:08:32 PM

8. @ Jonathan

No! What's ridiculous are bitter queers like yourself who can't seem to appreciate anything good that members of our community are willing to do for members of our community.And just to let you know,the hotel already has alot of bookings.The XL nightclub on the hotel's ground level has been packing wall to wall week after week since its opening night.They have issued over 10,000 XL membership cards thus far.I am one of those 10,000 who was issued a membership card.

So instead of making snarky,bitchy comments like a bratty school girl,act like an adult for once in your life and show alittle appreciation for what was put on the table.And after checking into this myself,a gay/straight friendly hotel was definitely needed in New York City.And now we have one.It has gotten plenty of support from its heterosexual neighbors.Why can't you bitter homos drop the attitude and do the same?

Side note: Before bashing any given business,how about getting your facts first.Jackass!

Posted by: John NYC | Mar 1, 2012 8:36:21 PM

9. Julian Street in the Mission in SF is as a place where you buy heroin. It's a very industrial block on one side and residential but still dubious on the other because it's a block from 16 and Mission, where the subway stops and it's basically Heroin City.

Dealers go to Julian to avoid arrest. I'm not saying that this guy was on drugs, but it would not shock me. Though the second half of that story suggests the guy might have been going out for more than cigarettes. I won't walk down there alone anymore.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 1, 2012 9:29:29 PM

10. I've stayed at and enjoyed the gay AXEL Hotel in Barcelona. Will The Out in Manhattan also have to have a "HETERO-FRIENDLY!" policy?

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 1, 2012 9:43:41 PM

11. Whoops, should have read further. I see The Out does.

Posted by: MarkUs | Mar 1, 2012 9:45:31 PM

12. Jonathan, I, too am a little dubious about the need for a gay hotel in NYC. The club, in Hell's Kitchen? Sure. Doing well? Not surprised and hooray. But it's always been my impression, since growing up there, that NYC has been a very gay friendly place and, since moving away and traveling back now and again, that hotels are plentiful and plenty gay friendly.

I'm not knocking it if someone wants to stay someplace where most of the clientele is gay - but it seems a little superfluous to me.

To each their own. I never was the ghetto type who liked everything I see, touch, smell and taste to be gay, gay and gay - but maybe I'll check out the XL Club next time I'm in town.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 1, 2012 9:46:59 PM

13. Although I probably would never stay there, I see nothing wrong with a hotel marketed as "gay". While I'm sure most hotels in NYC would be gay-friendly, this new hotel eliminates any potential for a rogue, homobphobic Front Desk agent.

Sadly, homophobia can happen anywhere, even in a place like New York City. Consider this: before Prop 8, California was known as a very liberal state. It just goes to show that popular impressions can be wrong, particularly when applied to a state or a city the size of NYC.

Posted by: alex | Mar 1, 2012 9:59:55 PM

14. I dunno, we'll probably try to book at room at the NY OUT next time we are back East. It's a family-friendly hotel, right? At least that's what I am assuming and certainly not the YMCA on the SF Embarcadero. Looks nice and maybe we'll run into a gay celeb or two. Geez, some of you guys can just go off the deep end with your rants. Black people, Asian people, Japanese people, Jewish people all have hotels that cater to them, no reason why the gay community shouldn't.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Mar 2, 2012 1:36:31 AM

15. The hotel room looks terrible. Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to make the bedspread nearly identical to the carpet?

Posted by: Eric26 | Mar 2, 2012 2:00:18 AM

16. I cannot forgive that beadspread. Is it an extension of the floor?

Posted by: Dev | Mar 2, 2012 4:30:42 AM

17. Re: Tammy Baldwin's lead in the polls: WI Manufacturer's & Commerce, a free-spending TV campaign advertiser for Republicans, has already been hard at work smearing Baldwin as a tax-hiking, anti-business, anti-jobs (cue the sneer) liberal. Republicans have moved far to the right since Tommy Thompson was governor, but look for them to rally behind him if he wins the nomination. Former 1CD Rep. Mark Neumann is basically a less likable version of Rick Santorum, but gave Feingold a run for his money in '06.

The rest of the GOP field aren't well known, but then, hardly anybody knew who Ron Johnson was six months before he was elected Senator.

Posted by: RhymesWithClergy | Mar 2, 2012 2:34:25 PM

18. Come on that's a fine looking room, clean and masculine to my eye (ouch - did I say something wrong?).

Posted by: uffda | Mar 2, 2012 8:03:41 PM

19. The link for the Estelle and Janelle Monae track leads to the ACLU web site. :(

Posted by: James | Mar 3, 2012 12:34:47 AM