Film | Joel Schumacher | News

BigGayDeal.com

Closeted High School Jock Faces Outing in Joel Schumacher Short: VIDEO

Maninthemirror

Man in the Mirror is a gay-themed short entry in the PBS Online Film Festival, which runs from February 27 - March 30.

MitmTreviny Marie Colon, who hails from the Bronx, New York, wrote Man in the Mirror while she was a senior at The High School of Fashion Industries in Manhattan, after her school counselor introduced her to the “What’s The REAL DEAL about Masculinity?” curriculum and writing contest

Through the Scenarios USA youth filmmaking program her project was made and directed by renowned director Joel Schumacher, known for such films as St. Elmo’s Fire, Batman Forever and A Time to Kill.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. So thrilled to see my org's work on one of my favorite blogs! We have three more LGBTQ films, written by youth and directed by Hollywood's finest here: http://www.scenariosusa.org/films/.

Posted by: Ernestine | Mar 6, 2012 10:07:56 AM

2. Great work, I love the ending.

Posted by: Dave | Mar 6, 2012 10:15:10 AM

3. Excellent ... This needs to be a full length movie. It's shows what teens deal with on a daily basis. It reveals the situations that some teens find themselves in and a time to make a decision. Sometimes it's the right decision, sometimes it's the wrong decision and someone gets beat.

Posted by: Dale | Mar 6, 2012 10:24:26 AM

4. Wow... this is pretty horrible. Great intentions, awful acting, miserable writing, terrible ending. Cringeworthy! This deserves a mini-razzie.

Posted by: denison | Mar 6, 2012 10:44:57 AM

5. @denison ~ Wow! It must be very difficult for you to live in such an imperfect world!

This was a touching, really good short. I don't agree that it needs to be a full length film - sometimes something as compact as this works better.

Posted by: wds | Mar 6, 2012 10:56:39 AM

6. execution suffers from the usual Schumacher-isms, but the heart is in the right place.
    and it touches on something that i think many of us will remember: the guy we knew in high school was also "family" who chose, instead, anti-gay peers.

i remember two of those boys from my high school years. every day digging themselves deeper. it's one thing to be born into an anti-gay family, it's another entirely to seek out and choose anti-gay people to be your friends. and then their dilemma: "how do i come out to my friends? they're all anti-gay"

hopefully this situation will be less and less common: i'm a white guy, doesn't mean i'm going to befriend racists. the more LGBT people are understood and accepted, the more straight people are going to be intolerant of anti-gay prejudice in others, and then hopefully we'll have fewer closeted people adopting an anti-gay attitude as part of their disguise.

actually, looking at this short film makes me think about what drove a great number of prominent anti-gay conservative politicians to their current hypocritical lives.

you show me a grown adult who is proud of their anti-gay stances, and i'll show you a boy who was caught giving b.j's in his youth.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2012 11:04:22 AM

7. "Wow! It must be very difficult for you to live in such an imperfect world"

Oh, unclench your pearls. Like you've never found the acting or dialogue of a film or tv show to be absolutely horrible? I fully expected this to be a touching little film and was simply blown away by the wooden, fake performances and cliched 60-year old white guy 'street' dialogue. Though it was awful (though not as bad as his Batman atrocities), but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Posted by: denison | Mar 6, 2012 11:12:45 AM

8. Yeah, it should be a full lengtgh movie. I'd like to see them hook up as a popular couple, be accepted by all the jock and students and end with the promise of a future, maybe a marriage proposal. That would be cool.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Mar 6, 2012 11:15:45 AM

9. i am stunned by the blanket negative comment of denison, yet another name i've not seen in previous comments, when i've seem much worse acting in major productions. i also thought it was well and believably cast. it gets even better when viewed as school curriculum. i'd love to see a middle or high school class process this, deciding how it should end. it gets even more interesting if you compare reactions from country to country and from other demographic populations.

excellent work from top to bottom.

Posted by: bandanajack | Mar 6, 2012 11:41:56 AM

10. "i am stunned by the blanket negative comment of denison"

That's completely asinine. This is the internet. If someone finds the acting or dialogue of a film to be horrible, it's completely within the bounds of decency to say so. Great intentions, nice idea, HORRIBLE execution and acting from every cast member and embarrassing dialogue – though yes, I have technically seen worse, too.

I didn't mention the ridiculousness of such a hot guy being with a whiny, unattractive little twink because that would just be tacky. The awful production quality is completely within the realm of discussion, though, and folks saying this should be a full-length film need to give me a little of what they're smoking.

* PS I've been commenting on here for years, "top" to "bottom"

Posted by: denison | Mar 6, 2012 11:55:17 AM

11. Watch out, Denison. If you dare to have an opinion different from the crowd, the Comment Police will come and get you.

Posted by: solice | Mar 6, 2012 11:59:26 AM

12. calm down, sugars.

think in the context of how this film could impact YOUTH, rather than your own adult sensibilities about "filmmaking".

truly.

*sigh*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2012 12:03:54 PM

13. "think in the context of how this film could impact YOUTH,"

I'm thinking many would feel it was cheesy and condescending, but I'm sure opinion would vary. The film doesn't even show the "jock's" reaction to his choice – kind of cowardly, no?

Hey though, let's have more 60-something white guys write "ghetto talk" vignettes and high school drama, that's just what kids needs these days.

Posted by: denison | Mar 6, 2012 12:16:00 PM

14. or you could make your own video and post it online for all to see, since you clearly could do a better job, denison.

you can even make a simple youtube video highlighting these issues in a way you feel would be more impactful.

up for it? or are you just here to tell others about the Bad Job they're doing with no intention of doing anything yourself?

the beauty of the world wide web - rather than just criticizing, you have the perfect medium to show, via example, how to Do Things Properly.

i eagerly await your VIDEO response, denison.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2012 12:21:29 PM

15. I kind of liked that it was not slick & polished & that not all the kids were model perfect. It captured that awkwardness of teenagers. I think we watch so much perfect beautiful teenagers (played by 20 & 30 somethings) that we think this is what teens or not. It's not.

For those who bothered to read the small blurb above, the story was written by a young woman when she was in high school, not a 60 year old. And she probably knows a little more about being a Puerto Rican teenager than some commenters.

Also I think the audience is probably for young people who may say it's corny, creeky but some of what the film is saying will sink in. so I rate it a nice try. And for those complaining, it's only 15 minutes of your life so you may want to just get over it.

Posted by: sara | Mar 6, 2012 12:44:21 PM

16. Correction: so many typos. Meant to say teens don't really look like that guy from 90210 so get some perspective.

Posted by: sara | Mar 6, 2012 12:47:07 PM

17. I like the realness of it, the imperfection. RIngs true.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Mar 6, 2012 1:03:39 PM

18. Or DENISON, you could do like KIWI and instead of producing your own work, like a play, film or book, just keep posting and posting and posting your uber-developed opinions, sarcastic spittle and immature insults in the belief that you are creating a body of work.

Posted by: uffda | Mar 6, 2012 1:04:45 PM

19. "or you could make your own video and post it online for all to see, since you clearly could do a better job, denison."

Seriously, are you kidding me? Would you say that to ANYone who criticized a film, show, or piece of music, or just someone who insults this particular short because of the way the horny jock character stirs "those" feelings in your loins?

Welcome to 2012. People are free to comment on art without being soaked by drama spittle or expected to produce their own (this should be obvious). Folks are also free to "complain" about quality and authenticity, and if that genuinely upsets you, cancel your Comcast subscription. I am from New York and fully familiar with the language and mannerisms supposedly depicted, and it just rings false. Sorry for the hurt.

Posted by: denison | Mar 6, 2012 1:06:14 PM

20. you also kept insisting that it was written by a 60 year old white man.

it wasn't. it was written by a young lass from the bronx.

so forgive me for thinking that your powers of perception are as weak as your reading skills.

but still, if you think you could produce a better video for youth i encourage you to do so.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2012 1:12:24 PM

21. you have a point, it was not actually written by him but only directed and produced... and if a famed director decides to tackle this material and it ends up coming across as very clumsy and stilted, it's fair to mention it. kudos to this girl for getting the Batman and Robin treatment and a solid B+ for effort, D- for execution.

I hated a few songs this year too but I'm not about to go and put myself on YouTube for that reason. this is why we have semi-anonymous discussion forums ;)

Posted by: denison | Mar 6, 2012 1:18:04 PM

22. Well, I'm with Denison on this.

But, the film and its creators have their hearts in the right place, no doubt about that.

But, it does suffer from subpar writing and acting that make it feel less authentic and more like a lesson.

Material like this will always inherently be a lesson in tolerance, and that's good. You just don't need to underline, bold and italicize it all the time. There is room for subtlety and originality, two things this film sorely lacks.

Still, as I said, its heart is in the right place and if it does more good than bad in the long run then that's a good thing. I just always hope and want more from my gay-themed films than what we often get.

Posted by: Erik | Mar 6, 2012 1:43:42 PM

23. I liked the storyline idea,I say do a story with a active NBA or NFL player of today in the same situation that would be interesting...

Posted by: gb | Mar 6, 2012 1:50:04 PM

24. Wow, the comments here are interesting. It doesn't seem like this audience actually read the part where it says the writer, "Treviny Marie Colon, who hails from the Bronx, New York, wrote Man in the Mirror while she was a senior at The High School of Fashion Industries in Manhattan"

Though it's clearly not the writing you'd expect from a professional, I think it's decent writing for a high school student.

I also think students would definitely watch it considering the subject matter. I'm not too far removed from the high school population as I'm a college student myself and also work with younger students.

Posted by: Amari | Mar 6, 2012 2:07:12 PM

25. These comments are fantastic! God, I love how reactionary and stupid so many of you are. I mean you jump over Denison because he didn't like the movie! Fantastic use of ironic bullying.

It's really refreshing to realize that the group of people you are "a part of" are just as horrible and totally stupid as people from all groups.

Posted by: Fenrox | Mar 6, 2012 2:19:52 PM