UK Christian Bed and Breakfast Owners Won’t Give Up in Fight to Discriminate Against Gays

Chymorvah

UK B&B owners Peter and Hazelmary Bull, who have twice lost a court battle against a gay couple they discriminated against by not allowing them to share a double room, are considering taking their case to the Supreme Court, the BBC reports:

BullThe couple had refused to allow civil partners Steven Preddy and Martyn Hall, from Bristol, a double room at Chymorvah House in Marazion. The Christian Institute said it was backing Mr and Mrs Bull's case.

Mrs Bull said: "I feel that the law has gone too far. Certainly Pete and I are ready to see if we can achieve some sort of result whereby two lifestyles can live alongside each other.

"We need to apply for leave to appeal, because that wasn't given at the last court hearing. If we get it we could take it to the Supreme Court. If we don't get leave to appeal then I understand we would possibly take it to Brussels."

Comments

1. Michael says

Mrs Bull said: “I feel that the law has gone too far. Certainly Pete and I are ready to see if we can achieve some sort of result whereby two lifestyles can live alongside each other.

One lifestyle: “We hate you.”

Second lifestyle: “F#ck you.”

When Christianity becomes the excuse for your bigotry than you know religion, as always, is a far cry from what God really is. Love one another? Hardly.

2. Rin says

If I had a choice between spending my money in Italy or in Dubai I would choose Italy. I would choose Italy because it is openly female-friendly. I would not choose Dubai, because although the resort area is acquiescent to the western demands for western women to walk around uncovered, the rest of the country is not.

I prefer to give my money to people who are not forced to be kind to me, but choose to be kind.

3. gater says

i’m no expert, but from what i’ve read, this couple really doesn’t understand UK law. civil partnerships were enacted to offer gay and lesbian couples the same rights and responsibilities that come along with marriage without using the term ‘marriage’. essentially, the gay couple in question was as good as married in the eyes of UK law. the inn owners, therefore, broke the law and discriminated against the couple simply because they are gay. from my poerspective, it’s another clear example of a religious heterosexual couple believing same-sex relationships are inferior to heterosexual relationships.

4. Evil European says

“If we don’t get leave to appeal then I understand we would possibly take it to Brussels.”

Good luck with that….the European Court of Human Rights is located in Strasbourg.

5. Tom in long beach says

Seems like the owners are stuck in the past. They are totally wrong unless they want to make their B & B a religious retreat grounds only. And make sure they are very careful who they advertise to.

6. Randy says

I hope they look forward to the remaining years of their business, as happy gay newlyweds book their B&B, to ensure they follow the law going forward.

7. GregV says

I’ve stayed at numerous hotels over the years with various family members and friends. In some cases, a male with me was my partner and in others he was a straight, platonic friend and in other cases he was my brother.
    In all those times, not once did the staff ask questions pertaining to the relationship of my traveling partner(s), and I would have considered it ridiculously nosey and inappropriate if I’d been pressured to clarify something like that for them.
    It would be like a Christian fanatic grocery store owner asking exactly what recipes you’ll be making to ensure no bagels or matzah balls will be made if he agrees to sell you the sack of flour that’s in your basket.

Why would any reasonable person, whether straight, gay or bi, want to hand over their money to these bigoted innkeepers?