GLAAD | Josh Hutcherson | News

Josh Hutcherson is Sick of Saying the Words Gay and Lesbian: VIDEO

J_hutcherson

Hunger Games star Josh Hutcherson accepted GLAAD's Vanguard award over the weekend and talked about his two uncles who died of AIDS-related causes. He also talked about his work on behalf of the Straight But Not Narrow campaign, and expressed his weariness of having to use certain words to describe people.

Said Hutcherson:

"I'm so sick of saying the words gay and lesbian. Can we just — people. I'm so tired of that. One day I wnat my son to come home from school and be like, I found this guy and I love him. And I'm gonna be like yes, you do, and that's okay."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In other news, Hutcherson named his dog after Ryan Gosling.

Comments

1. *giggle, giggle swoon*

Posted by: Adam Sass | Apr 23, 2012 1:08:45 PM

2. He is such a sweet boy, but I don't know that I mind haveing a label for my sexual preference. I get his point in a bagism way; it would be nice if we didn't have labels. But we do and sometimes for a good reason. It seems it would make it awkward to fight for our rights if we had no label for ourselves.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 23, 2012 1:09:14 PM

3. What a well-spoken, thoughtful young man. There is hope for the future.

Posted by: mike | Apr 23, 2012 1:12:34 PM

4. h8, i think his point is simply: it would be great if we could get to the point where we're POST-GAY.

to which i say, aw, that is great but NOT IN OUR LIFETIME, HONEY. in fact, not in 20 lifetimes. same for POST-RACIAL.

Posted by: redball | Apr 23, 2012 1:13:14 PM

5. b/c prejudice usually doesnt disappear. it just goes underground & (hopefully) fewer ppl buy into it as well

Posted by: redball | Apr 23, 2012 1:14:46 PM

6. for example, we were doing "better" (allegedly) with race until obama took office & hate-groups membership swelled in our country. post-racial, my MFing a$$

Posted by: redball | Apr 23, 2012 1:16:00 PM

7. I think he said out loud the goal. Many steps to take. But with love and hope, one day we'll be there.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 23, 2012 1:16:30 PM

8. I am very happy we have folks like him in the world. One person at a time is all it takes to male a difference.

PS- Does anyone else think the gay community has too many awards shows?

Posted by: Wes | Apr 23, 2012 1:20:38 PM

9. Labels aren't a bad thing when there's nothing else associated with them. I have no problem with anyone describing me as short, blue-eyed, or brown-haired, so why should I mind being described as gay. It's also a useful indicator. Let's say someone liked me. It would be handy for someone to be able to say to them, "Oh, he's gay", so that whether it was a man or a woman, they'd have an idea of their possibilities.

Posted by: William | Apr 23, 2012 1:46:39 PM

10. I don't have a problem with the label "gay". I do have a problem with the media using "openly gay" to refer to someone. You never see a reference to "openly straight". There is still a presumption that being gay is something you would want to hide and it pisses me off.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 23, 2012 2:00:38 PM

11. I am not very gay-identified by self or others (I think) but I don't mind the label, which I freely use. It is when you look down the line towards the eradication of all racial and sexual monikers that you can see how much more evolving we have to do, and shall.

In the meantime, and currently, many of us can live in communities of work, family and friends where no such labels would ever be applied. For instance how many would ever label a woman as a divorcee these days? To do so would instantly lable the user himself as an utter troll.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 23, 2012 2:04:56 PM

12. Call me gay. Call me queer. Call me a butt pirate. Just don't call me late to dinner!

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Apr 23, 2012 2:30:24 PM

13. @ Jim - That's something I never thought about, but it's an excellent point.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Apr 23, 2012 2:34:55 PM

14. well, there's no "openly straight" (yet, natch) because society is still "straight until proven gay."

the problem, alas, is that we do have people who are gay, and "known" as gay in many circles, yet who still are not *OPENLY* gay.

i hear your point though, Jim. Ellen DeGeneres need not be referred to as "openly lesbian" as she's simply, well, a lesbian.

But there are always going to be blurrings of rationale. I remember my former-roommate's lame-ass mother from Saskatoon saying "well, i don't need to tell people my son is gay, just as i don't tell people that my other son is straight."

i said to her "Well, while that's true, the reality is you didn't send your son hateful letters shaming him and telling him how disgusting he is when you found out he was straight. You never told him not to tell his father he's straight because 'it would kill him', so let's not pretend that you not telling people that your eldest son is gay has anything to do with how you speak, or feel, about your straight son."

if ya know what i mean.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 23, 2012 2:40:48 PM

15. lmao kiwi...lame-ass mom...yep, reminds me of my family as well :)

Posted by: redball | Apr 23, 2012 2:43:30 PM

16. I understand the well-intentioned sentiment to treat everyone equally, but I'm going to go with WILLIAM on this. Nothing wrong with a label, a discriptor, as long as nothing negative is associated with the term. That's what embracing diversity is all about - celebrating being different, because different isn't automatically bad, and is nothing to hide.

Posted by: TJ | Apr 23, 2012 3:26:21 PM

17. I tend to agree with what he's saying. Part of the problem, is that the label "gay" goes beyond just identifying your sexuality. There's stereotypes and personalities associated with being labeled as gay. We all know not all homosexuals fit the same mold, hence why we have subgroups within our community. Personally I'd rather label myself as homosexual because that's my sexuality. My personality is something that isn't defined by my sexuality.

Posted by: silvra | Apr 23, 2012 3:46:01 PM

18. LITTLEKIWI, I think you're *somewhat* right.

I thinks it's also a problem that we don't distinguish between what I think of as VOCALLY gay--Ian McKellen advocating and making public statements--and "openly gay" as in someone just living their life and not hiding that they have same sex relationships without having to announce it (Matt Bomer straddled the line b/t this and closeted, but he's firmly here now). Not everyone who doesn't march in Pride is closeted.

Posted by: dex | Apr 23, 2012 4:09:23 PM

19. My buddy's mom got paid $19197 past month.
    she is making an income on the computer and bought a $333400 home. All she did was get lucky and try the advice shown on this website.... g00(dot)me/7k

Posted by: jim | Apr 23, 2012 4:21:47 PM

20. Appreciate the sentiment, but, labels aren't the issue, it's what some people associate with them. I'm a bald, white, left-handed, short, gay, hairy, man and not one of those labels is a bad thing.

Posted by: jason | Apr 23, 2012 4:22:14 PM

21. very true, Dex. but there are also gay people who, while also not marching in parades, are still sorta "passing for white" in various social circles in life.

it's one of those things that will eventually be gone. my mum even talks about where we're headed, as a collective culture: a place where we're not assumed straight to begin with. Closet Culture is something we're all born into, and eventually an orientation-neutral society can actually be a possibility.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 23, 2012 4:38:24 PM

22. "The love that dares not speak its name" - we had it already. Those assimilationists think the world would be better off if there were no Gay or straight, no Black and no White. Instead we all should turn bisexual grey-skinned uniform beings - then the peace on Earth will be reached...

But that's the DIFFERENCES between people which make us interesting. Good people love diversity.

Posted by: Vicky | Apr 23, 2012 5:19:54 PM

23. re: what is associated with the word gay

Imagine that gay/straight is a social construct and that society is becoming more aware of this.
    Imagine we wake up and realize over population is the real problem, not global warming (which is a momnumental problem but not so immediately fatal). Then we legislate against unrestrained procreation. What if "Straight" became a bad word associated with sexualy repressed stuborn people who continued to procreate and create unliscensed babies; "Procreants"
    Imagine under these circumstances that the words for LGBT PFLA were replaced by "Queer" or even something more modern which just meant: people who are healthy and unrepressed enough to consider anyone they love as a sexual partner; people who are careful about passing diseases like AIDS and createing unwanted children; people who uphold the law and are thus the decent, moral, upstanding pillars of the communiyt. Church leaders.
    Imagine clinics springing up to help people pray away the straight.
    I would have to change my handle to something straight friendly and defend them on the basis the have a mental illness; they have a compulsion to procreat beyond reason.
    Then I'd be in the wrong... AGAIN!
    Far-fetched and extreme, I know.

Posted by: H8Str8s | Apr 23, 2012 5:28:29 PM

24. Eras come and go. I've fought long & hard to be queer & here. We wore our Freedom Rings, pink triangles, piercings, & waved our Gay Flags, proudly, defiantly. We spoke of the 2 Bettes (Midler & Davis), Elizabeth, Joan & Liza. Gay culture was our Savior.

We fought, danced & lied in the streets, whether Stonewall, pride or act-up. Victories, battles, lives lost, hopes achieved. Many of us "older queer" folk find it difficult, almost as if forgetting our past, by not using the gay, lesbian, bi... labels. We're justly proud of our battles, our victories & our losses.

We forget that kids today have their own lives, battles, issues, & may not know of, or recognize our old scars & badges. These guys will create their own history, not live ours.

Can we remember what & why we fought for (it?) I fought so we could become an open & equal part of this world without being afraid of being gay. Now as we've achieved what I've wanted & fought for, I know that this is a new era with new hopes & maybe different battles.

Now though, being gay is one of my strengths I can openly use to fight & win these new challenges. I can live with being just plain people, because finally that's exactly what I am.

Posted by: StevyD | Apr 23, 2012 5:55:14 PM

25. Almost there, Hutcherson, but when kids tell their parents about being in love, "thats okay" would be a curiously tepid response. how about "thats fantastic" - or "I'm so happy for you" - or "tell me about him" ? But "that's okay"? The enlightened can do better than this.

Posted by: SearchCz | Apr 23, 2012 6:00:02 PM