Anderson Cooper | Video

Anderson Cooper Wins 'Jeopardy!', Helps Gay Kids: VIDEO

JeopardyCooper

Friday night, The Silver Fox won $50,000 for The Trevor Project -- the organization devoted to combating suicide amongst gay youth -- by winning Jeopardy! Power Players. His competition: NBC's Kelly O'Donnell and the New York Times's Thomas Friedman.

Watch Anderson gloat adorably AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. adorable. i like him.

Posted by: G | May 19, 2012 4:18:47 PM

2. I think he basically outed himself on that episode. The gay charity, the comment about beehives, and the jump he did before a commercial break were all pretty gay!

Posted by: Paul R | May 19, 2012 4:20:08 PM

3. I think it would help gay kids a lot if Anderson just CAME OUT already.

Posted by: mike128 | May 19, 2012 4:30:41 PM

4. @PAUL R - He's not in. And besides, one of his fav shows My Sweet Sixteen.

Posted by: Gigi | May 19, 2012 4:34:25 PM

5. What are you talking about. He IS out.

Posted by: SgtSausagepants | May 19, 2012 4:34:53 PM

6. Umm, there's actually a difference between being gay in public and announcing that you're gay. Everyone gay knows that he's gay. Lots of people do not.

Posted by: Paul R | May 19, 2012 4:44:14 PM

7. Some people will just not be happy until he holds a press conference and states loudly and clearly:
    "I AM GAY!"

For some people in our community, that, I think, is what they expect. Funny how I sincerely doubt any.. and I do many any, of the posters here called a press conference to announce they were gay after living out of the closet for many years.

Funny that. Don't you think?

Posted by: theotherlee | May 19, 2012 4:47:45 PM

8. I love you, Andy.

Posted by: David T | May 19, 2012 4:53:37 PM

9. I love you, Andy.

Posted by: David T | May 19, 2012 4:53:41 PM

10. I love you, Andy.

Posted by: David T | May 19, 2012 4:53:42 PM

11. Good.
    Why would or should anyone come out? It is a private matter and everyone is entitled to their private life. If AC or anyone else wants to come out, good. If not, ok, their life, their choice.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 19, 2012 4:57:07 PM

12. No, it's not funny. Expectations are different for celebrities. Is that so hard to understand? And I never asked for a press conference. Simple acknowledgment would be enough.

Posted by: Paul R | May 19, 2012 4:58:23 PM

13. Although ac is publicly closeted and i dont watch his boring, .lame showes. I will say i respect him for playing for trevor project and openly too. And he's smarter than i thought he was too.

Posted by: curt | May 19, 2012 4:58:45 PM

14. Im sorry but how does a man jumping imply he's gay? That was a stupid comment.

Posted by: curt | May 19, 2012 5:02:06 PM

15. Paul R
    As has been said here, AC lives his life out of the closet. He's seen in public constantly with his bf Benjamin Maisani. Anyone paying any attention to Anderson knows full well that he's gay.

I agree that it would be nice for him to acknowledge it, but no one has the right to demand it. And with the way some people *here* not to mention elsewhere on the 'net waving their "virtual pitchforks" screaming for him to COME OUT... I say back the eff off and let him do what he needs to do in his own time.. just like 90% of the rest of us.

Posted by: theotherlee | May 19, 2012 5:06:48 PM

16. while i understand why AC slipped back into the closet, i do think he could actaully help kids if he would just be honest. he does do A LOT of work for gay kids in case nobody has been paying attention.

that said... generally I am lax on celebrities who are simply neutral. They dont deny..lol..nor confirm. On the flip side anyone who LIES or fakes it should have as much scorn thrown at them the gays can muster.

Persoanlly I am all for outing anyone in the public eye.

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 19, 2012 5:09:06 PM

17. Homo Genius.. Which is it?

"generally I am lax on celebrities who are simply neutral. They dont deny..lol..nor confirm."

or

"Persoanlly I am all for outing anyone in the public eye."

Posted by: theotherlee | May 19, 2012 5:20:49 PM

18. I don't think anyone has the right to demand a public announcement about one's sexual preference. Anderson lives a very open gay life in NY and he holds down three impressive and successful jobs. He adores his mother whom he has on his daytime show quite often, and was beaten badly on his last Jeopardy appearance by Cheech Marin (of all people) so he came fully prepared. I find the guy extremely fascinating and one of the gay communities most respected celebrities. As a married man, I do wish he would marry Ben in a big lavish NY wedding but I'm a romantic and although I believe his mother (must) know he is gay (she keeps two life-sized photos of him in her luxurious NY apartment because she adores him so much) I don't think he'll publicly discuss his being gay until after she has left us all.

Still, she would be probably her happiest walking him down the aisle because she would know he would not be alone. And he has great and enormous wealth. He needs a family, a husband and a child or two. He would make a great dad. Congrats on his win!

Posted by: OS2Guy | May 19, 2012 5:26:51 PM

19. Umm, yeah, I know quite well that he's gay. As for the jumping, did you see the jump? He broke character, because it was quite flamboyant.

As for coming out, clearly I understand the reasons he's stayed in the closet. Mainly his career. But stop defending the closet. Yes, people should come out.

I'm not a moron, but if it pleases you to think I am, go ahead.

Posted by: Paul R | May 19, 2012 5:34:24 PM

20. While I think it's great that he played for the Trevor Project and has done quite a bit of work for other charities, he "could" do far more by publicly coming out and helping to rid the country of the prejudice that requires charities like the Trevor Project to begin with. While those of us within the gay community know he's gay, I promise you, millions of people who watch him on tv daily, who like and respect him and his opinions and journalism, do not. We see and hear over and over again the best way to dispel homophobia and prejudice is for people to get to know members of the LGBT community. High profile personalities like Cooper and Maddow have a unique opportunity to move the dialogue along.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 19, 2012 5:46:43 PM

21. G, how old are you? Ive heard of someome jumping as a gay stereotype. I think you made that up. Silly? Maybe. But because he jumped that was 'gay' how bout you stop with the shallow mindset of what it is to be gay. A flamboyant jump? Lol what the hell?

Posted by: curt | May 19, 2012 5:48:06 PM

22. It would be nice if he came out but I don't think he's harming the gay community - it's great that he won for the Trevor Project.

Posted by: Jim | May 19, 2012 5:56:06 PM

23. I couldn't give a fig if he comes out publicly and I doubt The Trevor Project does either. Well done Coop.

Posted by: Sylvatica | May 19, 2012 6:00:24 PM