Colton Cumbie | Jeff Probst | News | Reality TV | Republican Party | Survivor

Survivor's Despicable Gay Republican Contestant and His Mom Apologize for His Hateful Remarks: VIDEO

Colton

In March, I posted a clip of Colton Cumbie, the gay Republican contestant on Survivor: One World spewing hateful and racist remarks at his fellow contestants. Cumbie subsequently had to leave the game because of a physical ailment but not before becoming one of its most memorable (for the wrong reasons) and disliked players.

On last night's Survivor finale reunion, Colton attempted to explain his remarks, as did his apologetic mother.

Check it all out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Mom

Comments

1. He has a face and voice that just says, HATE ME. I would enjoy punching him.

Posted by: Paul R | May 14, 2012 3:07:28 PM

2. I'm pretty sure he's going to be on the next season on Survivor. They are bringing back three mystery players who all had to leave the game for medical reasons.

Beyond his incredibly immature demeanor, he was actually fun to watch on the show. Everyone loves a villain. That said, I think the difference between him and most people is that he's too young and too uncouth to filter his thoughts. A lot of his allegedly racist comments were actually not very racist. They were much more about his total lack of exposure to the real world or anyone different than those who live in the bubble he does. Keep in mind he's like 19 and clearly hasn't ventured far from Alabama.

Posted by: Sanderson Pooper | May 14, 2012 3:15:40 PM

3. That said, focus on the gaggle of hot men that were on the island this season and not this turd.

Posted by: Sanderson Pooper | May 14, 2012 3:21:10 PM

4. Coltor was hilarious, colorful and fun to watch. You don't see anyone as "out" as he was very often and who hasn't said stupid things under the stressful situations of Survivor filmed 24-7 in a wild setting among the aggravation of total strangers? Plus it's quite clear that the editing given him was slanted towards controversy. Survivor could easily have avoided that but chose not to. Thus Jeff Probst has never shown himself to be more inappropriately self-righteous.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 14, 2012 3:27:52 PM

5. Check it all out, after the jump - no, not YOU, Canada! AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | May 14, 2012 3:34:02 PM

6. This guy may be good entertainment, but his judgmental attitude and behavior is disgusting. I am embarrassed to share my wonderful GLBT community with him.

Posted by: Fred | May 14, 2012 3:36:13 PM

7. The only real news here is that anyone still watches Survivor. "Reality" TV was so last decade.

Posted by: atomic | May 14, 2012 3:38:26 PM

8. 100% nauseating. Even that the show is pandering to this element is vile.

Posted by: Dan Cobb | May 14, 2012 3:40:41 PM

9. I just can't believe there are people who still watch this show. Turned it off after season 1.

Posted by: Ted | May 14, 2012 3:58:22 PM

10. wow. a racist self-hating gay white republican.

in other news, pretty little birdies go "tweet tweet tweet"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 14, 2012 4:05:56 PM

11. he makes me wretch....he's NOT at all a good example of a gay person on national tv...

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 14, 2012 4:28:50 PM

12. He owes the entire gay community an apology.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvations | May 14, 2012 4:38:07 PM

13. If reality TV is last decade, why does it dominate TV, yet awesome shows like Community, Parks & Rec, 30 Rock, GCB, etc. etc. all get the boot? Tell that to Bravo.

Posted by: Sanderson Pooper | May 14, 2012 4:54:28 PM

14. reminds me of Phi Phi O'Hara from Rupaul's drag race... ugh.

Posted by: Lucas | May 14, 2012 4:54:43 PM

15. i see berating people based on their personal circumstances and/or physical stature is "Entertainment"??? that's just stupid. he's an immature little prick who was/is looking for attention.

Posted by: Ben | May 14, 2012 5:11:02 PM

16. Gotta say, if he comes back, I may not watch and I love Survivor. Probst said it, he's not a villan people love to hate, he a villan they simply hate.

Posted by: Bart | May 14, 2012 6:15:40 PM

17. He is typical of the gay republicans - entitled, racist, self absorbed a-holes

Posted by: Eric in Chicago | May 14, 2012 8:35:35 PM

18. Lucas - Spot On!!

Posted by: jhr459 | May 14, 2012 9:14:31 PM

19. And in this blob’s case, poorly-spoken and uneducated. Not exactly a Huntsville elite.

Posted by: Socal | May 14, 2012 9:23:11 PM

20. I thought he was a hilarious villain. And yes he reminds me of Phi Phi Ohara, and Drag Race would have been dull dull dull without a foe.

Posted by: MarkUs | May 14, 2012 9:55:36 PM

21. I think this article and this guy on Surviver brings up a lot of issues around race, ethnicity, and racism in the gay community. These problems exist and white gay america really needs to join the conversation. That rainbow flag is more like one color than it is an actual rainbow.

Posted by: Darius | May 14, 2012 10:03:44 PM

22. I love anyone who irritates lib-tards.

I think he's awesome. Uppity blacks need to be put in their place sometimes. I'm so glad I don't live in the States to have to deal with the black problem all the time.

Posted by: erd44 | May 14, 2012 10:29:27 PM

23. umm.. @ERD44, sounds like you really need to be put in your place.

This guy made me CRINGE.....his voice, his attitude, his revolting comments.... I just think we-our community- need many more good press and portrayals- not stereotypes- and especially not negative, racist assh*le ones like this guy

Posted by: scott | May 14, 2012 11:17:28 PM

24. I only watched that show a couple of times and man was he easy to hate. I have to admit that I wanted to see somebody deck him. He was the personification of a bitchy little faggot. I think there is something very sad about him. He has to look deep into his own soul, find out what is wrong and fix it.

Posted by: andrew | May 15, 2012 12:39:05 AM

25. As a gay black guy in Boston, I'm quite used to people like Colton. My experiences evidence that there is simply a lot of ignorance around race in the gay community in areas that suffer from racial diversity. Not condoning what he said in any way but it's simply a fact.

Posted by: Will | May 15, 2012 12:52:23 AM