JC Penney Catalog Features Real-Life Gay Dads

Jcp

JC Penney features "Real-life dads Todd Koch and Cooper Smith with their children Claire and Mason" in its new catalog.

Says the caption: "What makes Dad so cool? He's the swim coach, tent maker, best friend, bike fixer and hug giver – all rolled into one. Or two."

And here's a 2009 article about the couple and their family in the Dallas Voice.

Comments

1. Bob says

Time for the pitter patter of Gay feet at JCP. Not sure if they have anything for me, but I ought to show up.
    I DO have a concern that their ads are way above the level of the demographic they can likely reach with the clothes they carry.
    I would hate their poor sales to be blamed on “going Gay”.

2. vanndean says

Don’t you know those OMM, of which there are really only some 40,000, nearly popped their cork when they saw this great ad. I know that it is not nice to wish evil on anyone, but one can only hope that some of them stroked out. Of to JCP to see what I need, want, or will just purchase to say thank you.
    PS Home Depot has some really neat hand crank flashlights that would make great gifts for friends in storm prone areas or for elderly family members. No batteries required even though they are made by Duracell.

3. sparks says

Oh, and now that I’ve gotten my snarky comment out of the way…

I LOVE that picture. Obviously a lot of joy and love there. Anyone who would look at this photo and wish to deny that family its fullest rights and protections, is nothing but a child hater.

4. Wdeanis says

This could be a brilliant marketing plan; support the LGBT community (overtly, not just with some ambiguous words), get business up, start hiring better designers to encourage more people to shop there, and come out on top. Bam.

5. Mary says

I love this ad. It’s a bit bolder in its pro-gay message than the one with the two female partners…..but that’s just why its so good. Must be something in the Towleroad water that’s making me view it this way! This ad would have bothered me as recently as last year.

6. Ken says

Love that they just didn’t include the beautiful family pic – but also the great caption. I’ll be checking out my local store tomorrow too.

7. greg says

Do we really have to look like that to be marketable/acceptable/non-threatening? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great thing that Penney’s has done. It’s just so goddamned CRACKER!! And I’m WHITE!!!

8. johnny says

Never been crazy about their clothes, but they do sell sheets, towels, housewares, kitchen stuff… I’m going to have to figure out where my local JCP is now.

9. UFFDA says

Wonderful wonderful…and MARY, you’re a crack up, you HAVE changed and I love it.

Cute, these guys are cute (not “cracker”), and this ad is a very, very good sign.

10. steve says

So great!!

Let’s see – next month, I have Father’s Day, my mom’s birthday, and my best friend’s birthday. So, all of them will be getting a gift from JCP!!

And, thanks to your great suggestion, Jeremy, if I can’t find an actual gift, I’ll buy a gift card/certificate.

Support our allies!! They make all the difference to us!!

11. wimsy says

They have decent — and nicely priced — summer shirts, shorts, pants. I’ve rediscovered JCP after many years and am glad I did. No more $200 jerseys from Brooks Bros.