Dan Savage | News | Tony Perkins

Will Dan Savage See the Light and Embrace Christ as His Savior?

Perkins

Hate group leader Tony Perkins prays that will happen, Right Wing Watch reports:

Savage"I would put out this challenge to folks who are listening: to put Dan Savage on the top of your prayer list and pray for him because I believe he has the potential to be a modern day Saul of Tarsus. I mean, just think if the Lord got a hold of his heart and changed him and turned him from persecuting Christians to being an advocate of Christianity and morality, what a huge impact that would have. So don't get angry at Dan Savage; he's doing what people do when they're lost. Pray for him that he would see the light, be blinded by the light, and come to know Christ as his personal savior."

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Savage responds, with a post and a video:

Writes Savage:

And Saul of Tarsus? That would be Paul, of course, author of huge chunks of the New Testament and the creep responsible for its most misogynistic and homophobic bits. (Jesus didn't say anything about homosexuality, and Jesus never asked his mother or Mary Magdalene to "keep silent.")

Paul was a tortured closet case, which is the kind of Christian I would have to be to meet with the approval of someone like Tony Perkins. You know, a Christian in the style of Marcus Bachmann or Ted Haggard or Benedict XVI. And let's not forget what "I'll pray for you" means someone like Perkins says it:

Every one knows, "I'll pray for you," is how Baptists say, "F**k you."

F**k you too, Tony.

Comments

1. I'm tired of the fundys who think they have to pray for other people's souls. It is so arrogant.

Posted by: WOW | May 9, 2012 1:12:19 PM

2. Tony Perkins is more delusionally confused, misinformed and Dangerous than Dan Savage will ever be. The very thought of his idiotic prayers is actively nauseous.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 9, 2012 1:14:29 PM

3. American Taliban. Their version of Christianity is the "right one." Plenty of LGBT folks are christian and practicing the message of Jesus. I'm an atheist and even I know that.

Posted by: qj201 | May 9, 2012 1:15:37 PM

4. 2 words for Tony, "drop dead!"

Posted by: jsb | May 9, 2012 1:23:52 PM

5. I love that video of those guys lipsyncing to Glee so much.

Posted by: Brent | May 9, 2012 1:29:54 PM

6. The funny thing is Dan is the same kind of "christian" that Tony is already.

Posted by: Mickey | May 9, 2012 1:31:07 PM

7. I just barfed my lunch all over my desk.

Posted by: arundel | May 9, 2012 1:31:15 PM

8. Why doesn't Perkins just kill himself so he can get to his 'gawd' quicker?

Posted by: SFshawn | May 9, 2012 1:41:25 PM

9. Dear Tony,
    Old Jesus would just puke.

Yours,
    GOD ( the older one ).

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 9, 2012 1:42:41 PM

10. St Dan hears our prayers

Posted by: melvin | May 9, 2012 1:42:53 PM

11. Apparently Tony Perkins is hot for Dan Savage; I bet he is doing more than praying for him, LOL.

Posted by: ulu | May 9, 2012 1:46:13 PM

12. Will Tony Perkins see the light and come out of the closet already? It's alright Tony. It's not so dark out anymore. It gets better.

Posted by: Agontuk | May 9, 2012 1:48:32 PM

13. Dan teaches not to hate and he is the one that needs to be saved? Tony tries to teach everyone to hate and he is the one who has been saved? Did I get that right? I think i got lost somewhere.

Posted by: Jayson | May 9, 2012 1:49:22 PM

14. I wonder when "persecuting christians" became identical with "saying things christians don't want to hear." Goodness! what a fragile little world Mr. Perkins lives in.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | May 9, 2012 1:55:59 PM

15. Some people think "Pride Parades" are a foolish waste of time, not needed, done with, ineffective, etc. I suggest the "Pride Parade" is even more important now that the Radical Religious Extremists are declaring Gay Americans unworthy of equal civil rights, marriage and other wise. Tony Perkins and his Christianist thugs must be stood up to. A "Pride Parade" with all its faults and draw backs is the most visible way to let America know Gay folk are not going away.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | May 9, 2012 2:00:27 PM

16. well said, Sargon. And to anyone who has previously avoided Pride Celebrations for whatever reason - this is the year that you and your like-minded friends and family need to not only attend, but PARTICIPATE.

March with your friends and family and your supportive allies in a way that you feel would "represent" what you feel needs to be represented.

Not participating doesn't do a thing. Participating and representing what you feel is beneficial to our community or perceived IMAGE is what makes things work.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 9, 2012 2:05:13 PM

17. I don't want part of any God that has truck with Perkins or his ilk. I'll manage my own egregores thank you.

Posted by: Polyboy | May 9, 2012 2:10:25 PM

18. Will Tony Perkins ever out-grow his imaginary friend?

Posted by: JimmyD | May 9, 2012 2:28:41 PM

19. So many Christians so few lions :(

Posted by: Nick | May 9, 2012 2:30:19 PM

20. Haters just hate. It's an amazing thing to watch.

Posted by: Barney | May 9, 2012 2:30:56 PM

21. Love me some Dan Savage.

Tony Perkins ... not so much.

Jesus

Posted by: JONES | May 9, 2012 2:44:19 PM

22. What a drama queen. A modern day Saul of Tarsus. Could you BE any more operatic? QJ201 said it: American Taliban!

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | May 9, 2012 2:45:05 PM

23. Um, excuse me, Tony? Dan Savage persecutes christians. Got any proof of that. How does Dan persecute christians? Mr. Perkins, you are a brazen, bold-facing lying sunt (that's French with a fake cedilla).

Posted by: jamal49 | May 9, 2012 2:45:07 PM

24. I wonder what he might have to say to Bishop Gene Robinson.

Posted by: Stan D | May 9, 2012 3:01:18 PM

25. "We're being persecuted" cried the oppressors.

Cry me a river Tony Perkinfucker.

Posted by: jexer | May 9, 2012 3:02:47 PM