Kingship | Music | Music Video | News

Kingship's 'Wandering Sailor' is a Fantasia on Horny Gay Themes: VIDEO

Sailor

Brooklyn-based rock duo KINGSHIP (Paul Leschen and Chris Hall) dropped a dreamy video for their track "Wandering Sailor" today, along with a hot and eclectic cast:

2_sailorFeaturing the best crew a captain could dream of: his Majesty the Gay Pimp himself Jonny McGovern and, as his sailor boytoy, Brad Cheyne; world-sensation and sensational Drew Droege (aka "It's recently come to my attention" Chloë Sevigny) as the Madam; super-talented Julie Goldman as the drag-king bouncer; the hilarious Tanya McClure as the one-eyed barmaid; beautiful sailorgirl Brandy Howard; badboy patron James Hawkins; Sebastian Thomas Johnson as the hunky backroom trick (real tats included); and dreamy Wandering Sailor, Jonah Wharton.

It's the band's first video clip, and I'd say quite a success.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That was horrific.

Posted by: morty | May 2, 2012 8:34:11 PM

2. Here we go -- another dead homosexual by semi-suicide. Never seen that before...well...at least not since the 70s, when it was still cool to bash faggots and suggest all queers will kill themselves. Imagine how many gay kids will see this and wonder if that's where they'll wind up, too?

Great going, guys. You should really be proud. Not.

Posted by: Kyle Michel Sullivan | May 2, 2012 9:02:30 PM

3. had to stop it at the chorus.

Posted by: alguien | May 2, 2012 10:05:36 PM

4. I guess Im the only one who loved it? Im about to download the album on itunes.

Posted by: DrJWL | May 2, 2012 10:18:11 PM

5. Not sure what's going on with that ending, but the song and visuals are a pretty decent Baltimora / Men at Work -style campfest, and I like those aspects.

Posted by: AdamA | May 2, 2012 10:24:53 PM

6. I'm with DRJWL, tots dug it!

Posted by: AladinSane | May 2, 2012 10:29:19 PM

7. Wow, KYle Michael blah blah blah you really took that music video seriously. Maybe you should relax a bit, you're embarrassing yourself.

Posted by: DrJWL | May 2, 2012 10:33:55 PM

8. Wait... the sailor dies? Hmm..perchance not. Kingship is pretty artsy; it could be symbolism.

Posted by: Dana Chilton | May 2, 2012 11:08:06 PM

9. Well, if not for the video I probably never would have heard their song so I guess it worked.

Posted by: moike | May 2, 2012 11:08:57 PM

10. is this band homophobic ? I liked the music and art direction ... hated the " yet another dead Homo" ending .... time to move on boys

Posted by: MarkBoston | May 2, 2012 11:20:54 PM

11. Yeah, I loved it up until the ending. Bummer. By the way, who was the hottie on the pier with the switchblade?

Posted by: Joseph | May 3, 2012 12:35:03 AM

12. I like it. It is very reminscent of Rainer Werner Fassbinder's last film based on the Jean Genet book "Querelle de Brest" in the way it treat the sailor's encounters in the bar and outside when the men approach. There was similarly great ingrigue about thie new sailor coming into the bar, some who fixated on trying to get him for themselves, and the-always present threat of violence against Querelle. I think it is very well done for this young band, and I would recommend that anyone who hasn'tseen it watch the film "Querelle."

Posted by: JCMS | May 3, 2012 1:08:04 AM

13. jcms... you beat me to it, at least mentioning the direct quotations from querelle. they skipped the graphic sex scene though

Posted by: bandanajack | May 3, 2012 3:16:07 AM

14. jcms - my first thought was that both Genet and Brad Davis are spinning in their graves.

Posted by: melvin | May 3, 2012 5:28:30 AM

15. Two of you disarm the hot guy on the pier, and bring him to me at once!

Posted by: Christopher | May 3, 2012 7:02:29 AM

16. So the Latin looking guy's got a switchblade. Oy.

Posted by: Leo | May 3, 2012 8:17:47 AM

17. Yuck

Posted by: Christopher | May 3, 2012 8:49:48 AM

18. Yeah, I caught those "Querelle" references, too. Terrific video up till the bummer ending (why didn't he find a hunky lighthouse guy, or even a triton/merman?), but the song sounds very early 80's (which could be a good or bad thing, depending...), and the lead singer's voice is an acquired taste. I think I still like that Grizzly Bear video for "Two Weeks" best as a benchmark for this sort of thing.

Posted by: Dback | May 3, 2012 10:14:41 AM

19. JCMS - thanks for saving me 4 minutes - I hated Querelle

Posted by: jhr459 | May 3, 2012 11:19:03 AM

20. JCMS - thanks for saving me 4 minutes - I hated Querelle

Posted by: jhr459 | May 3, 2012 11:19:05 AM

21. Is this the Moldovian Eurovision entry?

Posted by: BT | May 3, 2012 11:52:43 AM

22. Great song, great video!! Gay band making rock music. Awesome!! Chris is hot too.

Posted by: Wendell | May 3, 2012 11:59:10 AM

23. @BT - BAHHHHahahahahaha!

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | May 3, 2012 1:39:23 PM

24. I liked it a lot. It reminded me of the work of James Bidgood or Fassbinder's Querelle.

Posted by: Daniel | May 3, 2012 1:43:21 PM

25. Why would Genet and Brad Davis be spinning in their graves?

Posted by: Daniel | May 3, 2012 1:45:12 PM