Eurovision | Music | Music Video | Sweden

Sweden's Loreen Wins Eurovision: VIDEO

Loreen

If you haven't already, please meet Loreen of Sweden: the winner of the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest. She's pretty and she's got a fine voice, but I'm guessing she won because she managed to stay on-key while battling a horde of invisible ... what are they? Ninjas?

Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Err actually she won cause the song is amazing, d*ck! I assume youre to ignorant to have ever heard of Kate Bush. God I cant stand Americans sometimes.

Posted by: Alex | May 27, 2012 1:36:45 PM

2. Alex: I love me some Kate Bush, but Loreen can't hold a candle to her. I'm surprised by the comparison, honestly. Perhaps some of her earlier singles are different, but I don't get much Kate Bush from this song (though the outfit definitely seems like something Kate would wear).

Posted by: Bobsyouruncle | May 27, 2012 1:52:24 PM

3. It was the best song. (ESC is camp and politics in voting.)
    Handsome guys performing from Estonia Ott Lepland (good voice and song), Germany Roman Lob (good song), Norway Tooji.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 27, 2012 1:55:30 PM

4. Not only is Loreen a great singer, but she is also an amazing human being--the only contestant to meet with human rights activists in the totalitarian state of Azerbaijan. She has talent, charisma and integrity! She is also a strong supporter of gay rights!

Posted by: Frank | May 27, 2012 2:00:45 PM

5. I found the ESC this year rather amusing given all the anti-gay stuff associated with it. The male host was one hell of a flamer.

Posted by: Rovex | May 27, 2012 2:03:54 PM

6. The ESC is a joke. Cheesy music and rabid nationalism [gee, I thought only Americans were nationalistic; at least that's what most 'Euro' progressives' always whine.

@Alex,

I'm very familiar with Kate Bush.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 27, 2012 2:29:18 PM

7. much better version of the song

Posted by: johnosahon | May 27, 2012 2:41:37 PM

8. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed, ALEX? First in line, and grumpy, rude, anti-social, potty mouthed & jingoistic with it too. And for an Americanhater, your command of the English language is decidely iffy. You might want to have someone check your copy before you hit Post. And just one more thing - the f*ck's Kate Bush got to do with this?

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | May 27, 2012 2:50:42 PM

9. She brought the right combination of performance, voice, and material. I really like watching her. There were a few other entertaining acts. I thought the singer from Spain had a good, interesting voice. Some were easy on the eyes like the lead singer from Belarus and the German singer. This year's ESC was entertaining.

Posted by: Ginbuck (@Ginbuck1) | May 27, 2012 3:00:00 PM

10. Every year I say I'm not watching this thing again, and every year I watch it again. Lol. Congratulations, Loreen (and Sweden).

Posted by: Max | May 27, 2012 3:00:13 PM

11. WAs Loreen a male?

Posted by: lenny | May 27, 2012 3:26:20 PM

12. Why this contest was even held in Azerbaijan is a mystery to me. They have a dismal human rights record. They don't cotton to homasecshuls either.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | May 27, 2012 3:28:23 PM

13. It was held in Azerbaijan because they won it last year. Th REAL issue is why they are in a European contest, they arent in Europe.

Ratbastard.. Not all of Europe is nationalistic, its mainly the eastern block nations that are, as far as i can see most shouldnt even be in the contest.

Posted by: Rovex | May 27, 2012 3:41:19 PM

14. IMHO Loreen was hideous and the song sucks.

Serbia was much better.

Lots of my friends liked babushki, but I didn't get them either -- even though I've sung with actual authentic Russian choirs.

Posted by: KevinVT | May 27, 2012 3:56:14 PM

15. I still can't figure out what Kate Bush has to do with this forgettable song - perhaps its because I'm Canadian?

Posted by: ger | May 27, 2012 3:59:58 PM

16. In the end, Jedward will outlast them all.

Posted by: don | May 27, 2012 4:14:06 PM

17. I'm just glad it was Sweden that won and not Russia. I know that in ESC vocals aren't everything, but as a singer babushki were terrible. I'm sad that Italy, Spain, Iceland, and Bosnia & Herzegovina didn't place higher than they did. Very good entries.

Posted by: Aki | May 27, 2012 5:52:08 PM

18. This weekend guy is really grating my nerves today. I like his tenacity and the amount of stories he's putting on the blog but he seems to be just word vomitting his mind all over the stories and ruining the carefully crafted journalism Towle wants. Not to mention the numerous numerous spelling mistakes (MDMA =/=MDNA, George Willis =/= George Willig, etc. etc.)

Quality over quantity, sir. Please. I would think I was reading queerty (shudder).

Posted by: Solomon | May 27, 2012 6:20:08 PM

19. This weekend guy is really grating my nerves today. I like his tenacity and the amount of stories he's putting on the blog but he seems to be just word vomitting his mind all over the stories and ruining the carefully crafted journalism Towle wants. Not to mention the numerous numerous spelling mistakes (MDMA =/=MDNA, George Willis =/= George Willig, etc. etc.)

Posted by: Solomon | May 27, 2012 6:20:10 PM

20. @ Alex:
    The ignorant is you my friend. THIS IS NOTHING LIKE KATE BUSH. Go Back to School you fool.
    Besides, pardon me guys, but that girl WAS NOT SINGING LIVE.

Posted by: ElCid | May 27, 2012 6:29:00 PM

21. @ Alex:
    Musically, the song is AWFUL. The voice is nice. What she was wearing and her dancing have a slight resemblance to Kate Bush. Lyrically, singing style, and quality regarding, Kate would slap you in the face for this comparison. You must be "The man with the child in his eyes", right?

Posted by: ElCid | May 27, 2012 6:37:36 PM

22. Dear Solomon:

Thanks for reading. Sorry for grating on your nerves. You know, Andy makes lots of typos, too. And like Andy, I'm quite grateful when somebody points them out. With blogging, very often the fingers move more quickly than the eyes o brain. It's the nature of the idiom, and I'm probably an unusually bad offender -- I'm typically a very slow writer, very keen on rewrites and rewrites of rewrites and so on. I'm sure there are lots of mistakes which, if I'd noticed them, would have made me blush. I know for a fact I've tossed up a lot of phrases so awkwardly constructed that they shame me for weeks. Please forgive me.

Anyway -- as far as this story goes, don't you think the ninja question was appropriate? I mean, Loreen lady appears to be fighting invisible ninjas. I can't think of what else she might be doing.

- BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | May 27, 2012 6:41:33 PM

23. "Th REAL issue is why they are in a European contest, they arent in Europe."

Rovex, it's not an issue at all. All countries in the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) are eligible to participate in Eurovision. Look it up on Wikipedia.

Posted by: Max | May 27, 2012 6:57:27 PM

24. While I would say that, yes this song doesnt sound like Kate Bush, her style and performance channeled her.

Posted by: Toto | May 27, 2012 10:55:13 PM