Gay Youth | Music | Music Video

A Fabulous, Countrified 'It Gets Better': VIDEO

GirlsAndBoys

It's a country song. It's catchy. It's an It Gets Better video! And it's powerfully, almost virulently adorable. Watch "Girls And Boys," by Richard Hefner, AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Great video for Country fans. But even though I'm a Southerner, I've never understood the appeal of Country music. It just seems so campy and ridiculous.

Posted by: James B | Jun 9, 2012 1:42:09 PM

2. Now THAT'S traditional American music and living!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jun 9, 2012 1:43:54 PM

3. too cute !!!! i like girls a little less than boys !!!

Posted by: xael | Jun 9, 2012 2:01:13 PM

4. @JAMES B: Dolly Parton says it has its roots in folk music brought over 200 years ago from the British isles. So there's a venerable musical tradition, but I can't answer for the wardrobe choices.

Posted by: Demian | Jun 9, 2012 2:47:52 PM

5. Insipid.

Posted by: Keppler | Jun 9, 2012 2:48:46 PM

6. I think the song is catchy and clever, and the video is adorable (yeah, I'd have a crush on my big hunky ol' cousin, too, if he looked like that).

Folks are allowed to dismiss country music if they don't care for it (some I really like, some I can't stand), but it's important to remember how much impact things like this have in the Red States--remember that other hot country video that was on here a few months ago? There are a lot of young people in the South and Midwest who are dying for representation and affirmation from music and videos just like this, and it is no negligible thing for artists like this (or Chely Wright) to come out and shake up the dominant cultural paradigm.

Posted by: Dback | Jun 9, 2012 3:09:22 PM

7. This guy in the red plaid shirt looks about as country as the cosmetics counter. These gets "Better" videos are becoming more like advertisements. What are they selling?

Posted by: Garth | Jun 9, 2012 3:22:23 PM

8. It was cute. The commenters on these posts are some of the meanest people ever. I've made the mistake of reading some comments on other posts. Jeesh. Lighten up folks. Or not.

Posted by: Pt | Jun 9, 2012 4:01:47 PM

9. oh yeah some people here are really mean ... i think they are bitter.... this song is really cute and if i find myself driving on the interstate i will love for this to play on the radio it will make me smile for sure !!!

Posted by: xael | Jun 9, 2012 5:31:56 PM

10. This is terrific! Love it!

Posted by: Barbara | Jun 9, 2012 6:15:39 PM

11. There are lots of adolescents hurting out there, especially in rural America, where country music is more popular. Like it or not, this song my connect with country music fans. If it connects with even one person, it was worth it.

Posted by: cubes | Jun 9, 2012 11:10:53 PM

12. But does RICK approve? Was it masculine enough?

I thought so, close enough. And I'm sure it's great for country young people who need some support. The remark "Insipid" made me laugh, I could see that, but it's winingly good-natured, something we need.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 10, 2012 6:42:09 AM

13. I guess the time it took to get better was way too long for some of the commenters here. Hard to imagine any other setting where a coordinated show of heartfelt support for a marginalized group would be spurned by that group.

I thought this video was a joy and the message of support for a high-risk suicide group is important. Suicide has touched our family so sniffing at an effort to support those at risk seems borderline sociopathic to me. It's life and death, amigos.

Posted by: Rob | Jun 10, 2012 10:42:19 AM

14. This is Richard Hefner, writer and producer of this song and video. Thank you for your support of Girls and Boys. Our intention in making this video was to help people.

The story is basically mine. I grew up in a big Mormon family which I loved, but this slight difference in myself seemed to isolate me to the point where I felt I was not wanted. This wasn't true, but it felt that way. This song and video is for other young people who find themselves there. We did a companion video called "Why We Made Girls and Boys" in which my boyfriend interviewed members of the cast about their interest in the project. There were some surprises. Please watch if you're interested.

Again, thanks for the support of the song and your comments. They are all appreciated.

Posted by: Richard Hefner | Jun 10, 2012 2:01:33 PM

15. Richard:

Thanks for visiting Towleroad. Ill put that follow-up video in the link roundup this evening.

Have a great Sunday ...
    - BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Jun 10, 2012 2:08:44 PM

16. I like this song a lot. It makes me want to grab my husband and go country dancing.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Jun 11, 2012 10:16:48 AM

17. This made me cry. My partner of 12 yrs died in 2008, and he was a hot cowboy who loved to line dance. Why he chose me, a city boy who sucked at dancing I'll never know. He would have loved this video. Thank´╗┐ you.

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 11, 2012 4:25:51 PM