Andy Cohen | Chris Matthews | Log Cabin Republicans | News | Republican Party

Andy Cohen Does Not Understand Log Cabin Republicans: VIDEO

AndyCohenLogCabin

Bravo host Andy Cohen appeared on Chris Matthews' MSNBC show last night to discuss his past work for CBS News, his new book and tonight's pro-Obama fundraiser at Sarah Jessica Parker's house.

Then, toward the end of their interview, Matthews asked Cohen why a gay man would ever join the Log Cabin Republicans.

Here's Cohen's response:

It's something I've never understood. I was executive producer of a documentary years ago called Gay Republicans. I'm interested in why someone would support a party that doesn't necessarily support equality for that person. And I can only assume it's about the wallet. It's about 'I'm a fiscal Republican'.

But for me — and it's funny. I'm not political on my show at all, but gay issues are something that not only are of a great concern to me, but just as a human being, I feel so obviously passionate about being treated equally to everyone else that it is the one thing that I really speak up about on my show.

So, I can't — I can't understand, Chris, the idea of saying, 'Oh well, they're going to put more money in my bank account. Who cares if they don't believe I can get married?' I don't get it.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I agree with Andy Cohen one thousand percent! I honestly think gay republicans have daddy issues and are on a quest to make their fathers proud or to be exactly like their fathers. They are a sad lot who obviously don't think too deeply. If your pocket is all you care about I hope it keeps you warm when you're all alone.

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 14, 2012 10:43:43 AM

2. I agree with Andy Cohen one thousand percent! I honestly think gay republicans have daddy issues and are on a quest to make their fathers proud or to be exactly like their fathers. They are a sad lot who obviously don't think too deeply. If your pocket is all you care about I hope it keeps you warm when you're all alone.

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 14, 2012 10:43:47 AM

3. I thought the Log Cabin Republicans supported Marriage Equality. The GOP does not.

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 14, 2012 11:04:03 AM

4. don't worry, Andy. They don't know why they're Republicans, either.

i mean, they *think* they do, but they're wrong. it has nothing to do with fiscal anything - it's just identity politics, and it's sadly the only way they're able to attain a level of "tolerance" from their family and community - lean right, slander liberals, distance yourself from "those other gays", and regurgitate racial prejudice.

that's what makes a gay republican.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 11:04:21 AM

5. I wonder how many of these gay rethugnicans have fathers that were bullies, or still are. Since republicanism is just a fancy word for bully (witness the GOProud silly hostility toward Barrack Obama) I would venture to guess that reinacting being a Bully is the oly way these republican gay trolls can reduce the amount of bullying their fathers push on them.

Little Kiwi's arguments look stronger and stronger everytime a Goper Gay opens his mouth on this site.

Of ourse, NOM CATHOLIC MORMONS are probably LOVING the fact that the 'Gay' vote is split. Everytime a Goper is bashed here (even by me) Brian Brown gets a hard on.

Gays fighting? SPROIIING!!!!

Posted by: Mic | Jun 14, 2012 11:07:04 AM

6. I wonder how many of these gay rethugnicans have fathers that were bullies, or still are. Since republicanism is just a fancy word for bully (witness the GOProud silly hostility toward Barrack Obama) I would venture to guess that reinacting being a Bully is the oly way these republican gay trolls can reduce the amount of bullying their fathers push on them.

Gays fighting? SPROIIING!!!!

Posted by: Mic | Jun 14, 2012 11:07:14 AM

7. I think Cohen is probably smarter than he ever lets on.

Posted by: joest | Jun 14, 2012 11:09:05 AM

8. I think Cohen is probably smarter than he ever lets on.

Posted by: joest | Jun 14, 2012 11:09:07 AM

9. For many gay people, perhaps most, their "gayness" is far from being the most important thing in their lives.

Most gay people are not interested in getting married, do not seriously believe that passing anti-discrimination laws will make any difference in the workplace or elsewhere, and are not really concerned with hate crimes legislation because the likelihood that they will be victimized by a hate crime, if they are not flamboyantly effeminate, is negligible. So the "gay political agenda" is largely irrelevant to them from a practical perspective and only matters symbolically.

At the same time, gay people, like other people, have a wide range of views on matters like foreign affairs, economic policy, environmental issues, social issues other than gay rights.

So if you are of a conservative bent and believe that government policy on these other issues matters more to your life than policies on gay rights that are unlikely to make much difference at all in your life, then it makes sense to you, in all likelihood, to align yourself with the Republican Party and attempt to change its positions on gay rights from within, rather than to align yourself with the Democratic Party--a party whose positions on most issues you don't agree with--just because more of its members have a pro-gay-rights position at this point in history.

Most people are not single-issue voters and furthermore, not all Republicans are anti-gay--in fact, most opinion polls recently have shown that the majority of them favored DADT repeal, favor equality in the work place, and are in favor of civil unions, with a growing percentage also being in favor of marriage.

Not really hard to understand if one thinks about it rationally and objectively.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 14, 2012 11:10:39 AM

10. "I honestly think gay republicans have daddy issues and are on a quest to make their fathers proud or to be exactly like their fathers."

"I wonder how many of these gay rethugnicans have fathers that were bullies"

The more I read this blog, the more I understand where the effeminate gay man's hatred of men and idolization of women comes from.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 14, 2012 11:16:44 AM

11. Andy's right it is about the wallet to them, it means more then being equal in the eyes of the government. LCR is the better of the two groups but will still pic financial issues over them selves

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jun 14, 2012 11:18:43 AM

12. @Rick Just because a person cares about anti-discrimination laws doesn't mean that their gayness is the most prevalent thing in life.

I'm sure at one point someone said that sexual harassment laws in the workplace made no difference as sexual harassment would still occur. They're right to a point, only difference is that now there are laws prohibiting it, making it a priority for companies to protect employees against it or pay the price of a hefty lawsuit and bad PR.

You're right, gay people have a wide range of interests, so do straight people, but just as straight people are interested in adequately providing for their families, so do gay people. Does that mean that everyone - gay or straight - are completely superficial?

Depending on who you talk to or what you read, sure you'll find republicans supportive of gay people, however, at the end of the day, Republicans said "hey, I want Mitt Romney to represent my interests in the next election". I don't think anyone is sitting here talking about individuals, they're talking in generalizations. That can be a risky way to go about it, but it can be equally risky when talking about the individuals, and individuals generally don't represent a movement as a whole.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 14, 2012 11:26:34 AM

13. fun and hilarious Fact - RICK is the perfect example of a gay man whose father hated having him for a son. he blames the "femmes" for the fact that his dad hated him, and for the fact that he is, to this day, still too cowardly to Live Out and put a face to his comments.

every angry anonymous ramble only proves me (and others) to be more and more right. of course you lean right - that's what you had to do to stop daddy from hating you. didn't work, though, did it? Nope.

the only, ONLY, gay men who are "defined by their gayness" are the wimps who are still running around insisting that they're "not defined by their gayness". yes. you are. and you're the only ones. because you're still holding yourself up to "Straight" as your marker for self-worth, and you're still worrying what The Straights are saying or thinking about you.

Now, some will argue against this. They won't, however, be able to put a face to their arguments. Thus proving me right. So suck on that. Lord knows it's likely the only thing you've had to suck on in the last decade....

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 11:26:34 AM

14. I just checked their website to be sure: the LCR supports gay marriage, repealing DOMA, Olson & Bois on Prop 8 and repealing DADT. I think they are ambivalent about ENDA, however. Andy C's issue with them is not over gay rights, but over other progressive causes they don't support.

Posted by: anon | Jun 14, 2012 11:40:23 AM

15. the funny thing is it's actually GOP-voters who are "one issue" voters.

And hear me Out - we all know the GOP base is full of the stupidest people in America. Why? Because when you throw out opinions and just stick to policies and facts these are millions of blithering idiots who are voting AGAINST THEIR OWN FINANCIAL BEST INTERESTS. Why? Jingoistic Nationalism, Identity Politics, and (drumrollplease) "SOCIAL ISSUES"

This is why you get broke@ss families with no healthcoverage and no jobs voting GOP -cuz republicans hate them homosexicals and abortions and jewmuslimarabs.

that's it. that's the issue they vote on - what looks more like a traditional white christian american who cares about liberty, tiny little flags, and apple pie cooling on a windowsill.

it's not that they see a wide variety of issues and policies that need to be carefully thought over - they vote based on the same criteria their family and stupid communities vote - the Jeebus Was White vote.

republicans "that support gay people" are idiots. because their support is nothing more than cowardly lip-service. "oh, i'm not like those other republicans that hate guys, i love you guys! btw, i'm voting for a man who wants to ban y'all from marrying, federally, and the party that still overwhelmingly works to block any and all advancements for equality for your people."

suck my balls. that's not love and support. that's antipathy.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 11:41:46 AM

16. ANON - there's a very big difference between what the LCR "Supports" and what the LCR "Actively Champions and works hard to do"

you'll notice they take the coward's stance, and not the fighter's stance, on nearly every LGBT-related issue.

support is not enough. it's what one actually actively promotes and works for that counts. and they dont' do much.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 11:48:09 AM

17. While I'm sure there are Republicans and "fiscal conservatives" who either don't care about gay rights or are even pro-gay, if you look at the GOP party platforms state by state most are opposed to gay rights and many are rabidly anti-gay and use Religious Right rhetoric. The Republican party has and DOES exploit anti-gay animus as a wedge issue to get votes, to convince people to vote against their own financial interests to benefit corporations and the already very wealthy.

The GOP is living proof of the Sinclair Lewis quote, "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

Even IF a Republican candidate has no personal problem with gays they will still be pressured to vote along party lines to keep the Religious Right happy or, as so many of them claim, to vote how the people of their state or district feel even if they disagree.

So no, I don't understand gay Republicans either. Even IF I agreed with Republican policies (which I don't) their open desire to not only limit the rights I get in the future but also take away the rights I already have pretty much rules out my voting for them, ever. It's a funny little quirk of mine I guess, not to vote for people who see me as less than human, unworthy of rights equal to their own.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 14, 2012 11:49:28 AM

18. @ANON Good point. And it should be noted that the Log Cabin Republicans have played a critical role in virtually all the legislative victories we have achieved recently, from DADT repeal to legalization of same-sex marriage in New York. In fact, hardly any pro-gay legislation has ever passed anywhere without bipartisan support--nor is any likely to in the future--so it will continue to be important for gay people to have a significant presence in both major parties.

Relatedly, full social acceptance of gays will depend on the vast majority of the population dispensing with their homophobia, which necessarily means reaching out to the more conservative elements of the population.....and the best way for gay people to do that is to be seated at the table with them and give them a comfort level with us, which is the surest means to social change....and one of the best ways to do that is for some gays to be active in the Republican Party.

They are doing far more to advance our cause than the radical clowns parading around in the streets in high heels at Pride, who do nothing but reinforce negative stereotypes of us and alienate people in the social mainstream.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 14, 2012 11:55:47 AM

19. and the thing is, Caliban, the "gay marriage isnt' that important" excuse that Gay Republicans give just shows how lacking in balls and honesty they are.

because it's not actually about marriage. that's right. the "gay marriage" debate is not about gay marriage. it' about anti-gay bigotry.

and gay republicans are the biggest cowards in America. they're not man enough to stand up to anti-gay bigots and combat the bigotry. they suck the right's teat and say "ugh, i can't stand those liberal lefist gays, either. so don't hate me, hate THEM, i'm not like THEM!"

damn right you're not like us. we respect ourselves and will never neuter ourselves in order to appear non-threatening.

so yeah, when they say "there are bigger issues in the country than gay marriage" what they're really saying is "My parents won't tolerate me anymore if i start demanding to be equal in this country and dare to rise against their bigotry. i need to hate liberal gays in order to avoid shaming them"

p a t h e t i c

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 11:58:23 AM

20. @Rick. If what you say is true, then why is there almost no gay representation on television, movies,ADs, and legislative bodies throughout the country, and the list goes on. You state you have not experienced discrimination for being a gay man. That may be true if you live in an enlighted community, but I am sure that is not true. Just the fact you do not see yourself on a daily basis on TV, advertisements, etc IS discrimination. And marriage is important because it has deeper meaning than civil unions from a legal standpoint. All the other issues are important, but at the end of the day if you are not recognized as an equal human being then nothing else matters.

Posted by: rk | Jun 14, 2012 11:58:46 AM

21. if RICK believed what he says then he'd be the Most Out gay man in America.

but he's not. for very important reasons.

1. he's not Out
    2. he's not masculine, even though he wishes he was via his online anonymity
    3. he doesn't have the balls to stand up to be counted as a gay man

RICK, everyone knows you're a troll, and we're really sorry that your parents spent every day with you wishing they'd coughed up the coin for that abortion 53 years ago.

i mean, RICK could always show us all the Example he lives on a daily basis. You know, put a face to those claims and show what an "Acceptable for Republicans" Homosexual he is. But we all already know what kind of gays are "acceptable to republicans" - the wimpy neutered ones that can't stand up for themselves.

oh well :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 12:03:15 PM

22. btw, my parents march in the pride parade every year.

if my mum and dad, who are in their sixties, don't have a problem with any of the others who march or take part in the parade, why do some of the gay men here?

oh, right. because your dads didnt' love and you still think it's because of, uh, "men in heels" or "stereotypes"

it's neither. it's because your dad was an @sshole and you were a wimp who never earned his respect. truth.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 12:04:50 PM

23. I guess Im a 1 issue voter then - cause to me, as a Gay American...My Equality as a American is #1 period!!! My equlaity in EVERY aspect of American Life is no#1 with me! So - I'll NEVER VOTE for this brand of GOP Hate mongers and Bigots! My Equal Rights trump any Material things!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 14, 2012 12:09:23 PM

24. I guess Im a 1 issue voter then - cause to me, as a Gay American...My Equality as a American is #1 period!!! My equlaity in EVERY aspect of American Life is no#1 with me! So - I'll NEVER VOTE for this brand of GOP Hate mongers and Bigots! My Equal Rights trump any Material things!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 14, 2012 12:09:26 PM

25. I guess Im a 1 issue voter then - cause to me, as a Gay American...My Equality as a American is #1 period!!! My equlaity in EVERY aspect of American Life is no#1 with me! So - I'll NEVER VOTE for this brand of GOP Hate mongers and Bigots! My Equal Rights trump any Material things!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 14, 2012 12:09:26 PM