Comic Books | Gay Marriage | New York | News | X-Men

As Marvel Superhero Northstar Weds His Boyfriend, Gay 'X-Men' Fans Follow Suit at NYC Comic Book Store

Midtowncomics

X-Men super-fans Scott Everhart, 39, and Jason Welker, 33 were selected from more than 50 applicants to tie the knot at NYC's Midtown Comics in honor of the release of Astonishing X-Men No. 51, in which gay superhero Northstar marries his boyfriend Kyle.

The above photo was posted a short time ago at Midtown Comics' Tumblr.

XmenThe NYT profiled the couple yesterday:

The couple had been talking about marriage this spring, but Ohio does not allow same-sex marriages. Then Mr. Everhart, a site manager at an adult day care center, stumbled onto a notice about the Midtown Comics event. “I didn’t say anything to Jason until they notified me and said they were interested and going to interview us,” he said. “That’s when I broke the news to him and kind of proposed at the same time.”

“It’s a huge step for us as a couple, but also for us in the community,” said Mr. Welker, an architect. The men plan to have a follow-up ceremony in Ohio for friends and family who could not make it to New York on such short notice. “My brother will be really angry with me if he doesn’t get to be my best man,” Mr. Welker said.

The editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics Axel Alonso is speaking out about the new issue:

Alonso said the marriage of X-Men hero Northstar and his long-term boyfriend Kyle reflected real life and was inspired by the legalisation of same-sex marriage in New York. Warning the marriage was "only the start of the story," he even hinted the characters may face a historic divorce further down the line. He said the storylines were written with readers in mind, and were a deliberate effort to show that "characters live in the same world we do."

Comments

1. Nothing is more romantic than a comic book store! I hope the wedding ring was wrapped in Mylar. I heard the ring bearer was a cardboard cutout of Wolverine.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 20, 2012 10:17:57 AM

2. I too love the Marvel comics and the new movies coming out recently. It is great to see that the Northstar and Kyle heroes are imitating real life and getting married and are going to go through the trial and tribulations other married couples go through. Congratulations Scott and Jason!

Posted by: Professor Locs | Jun 20, 2012 10:22:45 AM

3. I understand making fun of getting married in a comic book store. But, truth be told, would getting married in a Las Vegas wedding chapel be any more dignified?

Posted by: Danny in the East Village | Jun 20, 2012 10:27:45 AM

4. I can't say who I am or where I work, but I'm very VERY involved with the top pencilers at both Marvel and DC. The comics industry is extremely homophobic and sexist. Go to a comic book store and open up every current comic book on the shelf. Now count how many female names you see for "writer", "penciler" or "inker." Also, from my conversations with the top pencilers out there, they've told me that besides one or two openly gay artists, the rest are all straight. Yes, there are gay writers in comics, but you can count on one hand how many openly gay comic artists at DC and Marvel. I've also learned about a few closeted gay male and female artists. Many of the female artists are closeted lesbians (who have told me they say they have a boyfriend when they are really gay).

Posted by: Just remember... | Jun 20, 2012 11:18:54 AM

5. @Gregoire Comic books are obviously a very important part of their lives. It's an interest that they both share and connects them on a fun, frivilous, and creative level. Why make fun of this couple for wanting to include that common interest as part of their marriage ceremony?

Posted by: shaun | Jun 20, 2012 11:21:08 AM

6. "I can't say who I am or where I work..."

LOL! Yeh, sure.

Posted by: endo | Jun 20, 2012 11:35:45 AM

7. Perry Moore, who wrote the gay-themed superhero young adult novel "Hero," compiled a list of gay heroes and villains who have appeared in various comics and their eventual fates. It's not pretty.

Hopefully the comics industry got the message that getting kudos for how progressive they were for introducing gay characters then quietly killing them off in gory and degrading ways isn't acceptable. Maybe they'll treat these characters better, though being the lover/spouse of a superhero has traditionally not been the path to a long and happy life. Comics are a lot like soap operas, so in order to create the angst-filled, tortured hero archetype their "true loves" tend to die and/or become villains.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 20, 2012 11:52:17 AM

8. "The comics industry is extremely homophobic and sexist. "

If you were involved in the industry at all, you would know that there is far, far more to comics than DC, Marvel, and superhero comics in general. You have no basis for castigating an entire industry based on two companies.

Posted by: Nat | Jun 20, 2012 12:07:44 PM

9. @Nat

And if you were involved in the comics industry like I am, you would know that DC is connected to Mad Magazine, Vertigo, WildStorm and Archie. Marvel is connected to CrossGen, Malibu and Epic and just about all the major toys at your local store and the biggest movies in the last few years. Therefore, when I mentioned DC and Marvel, they pretty much ARE the industry because they make the news when one of their characters dies (or is revealed to be gay). I'm not talking about some garbage manga or sleazy graphic novel published in someone's garage that no one cares about and sits on a shelf at Barnes and Noble for years without being bought. Smaller comic book publishers come and go, but Marvel and DC are here for good.

Posted by: Just remember... | Jun 20, 2012 12:43:27 PM

10. I don't claim to know anyone in "the business," but working at the artist lounges and autograph tables at Comic Cons, most artist seem very tolerable of everyone they meet and greet; besides, the DC/Marvel/etc logo brings the message through numerous artists work,not just a single representative.

Posted by: Tony | Jun 20, 2012 1:29:24 PM

11. @ Tony,

First of all, I never said the artists WEREN'T tolerant.

The people who hire the artists at DC and Marvel are not the guys you mentioned selling drawings at the autograph tables (although I could tell you a story about a VERY famous DC artist who likes to use the f-a-g word without a care). Artists are brought in to DC or Marvel through connections, word of mouth, school chums, etc. That just gets them through the door. It is the EXECUTIVES, not the artists, who decide how long these new pencilers and inkers will last at DC or Marvel. If they don't like the fact that you are gay or female, they will say, "I don't like the way you drew that one finger at the bottom of page three" and suddenly, you are out of a job and there's a long line of people waiting to take your place.

I wish you guys would stop arguing with my point that it is hypocritical for the big comic book guys to have a storyline about gay marriage when there are so few gay people working for them as pencilers and inkers.

Here's another story - One guy I know talks about his husband in a way that makes it seem like he's talking about a wife (you know - the pronoun game).

Anyone else who wants to argue, just count how many openly gay male pencilers (not writers) at DC or Marvel are CURRENTLY working on one of the dozens and dozens of comics they are selling.

Posted by: Just remember... | Jun 20, 2012 2:34:02 PM

12. "Just Remember…" - I also know some people in the comic industry and I can back up your statements. It's not the artist, inkers, colorists, letterers, that are homophobic and intolerant (though there are some that are), it's the old-school execs that have not come into the 21st century.

Posted by: Fruit-for-Peace | Jun 20, 2012 3:35:47 PM

13. "Just Remember…" - I also know some people in the comic industry and I can back up your statements. It's not the artist, inkers, colorists, letterers, that are homophobic and intolerant (though there are some that are), it's the old-school execs that have not come into the 21st century.

Posted by: Fruit-for-Peace | Jun 20, 2012 3:35:49 PM