Barack Obama | Betty White | Gay Marriage | News

Betty White Talks About Her Meeting with Obama, Gay Marriage

Bettywhite_obama
(official White House photo by Pete Souza)

Here's the most circulated photo of the day. Betty White had a meeting with Obama:

“I didn’t say anything at all,” said White. “He was charming and wonderful and I got a kiss on the cheek.”

White said that Obama extended her an invitation, a follow up to the 90th birthday video that he sent the television star, joking that he didn’t believe she was that age and asking her for her birth certificate.

“I stay away from politics,” said White, declining to tell Speakeasy any specifics about her political views. “That’s everybody’s personal business,” she added, “I’m not that deep or that bright.”

The HuffPost's Chris Harnick spoke with her shortly after the meeting:

Said White: "It was a thrill to be with Mr. Obama, but the big thrill was being with Bo, their dog. He's the cutest guy you've ever seen in your life. I spent a half-hour with him on my lap."

She was also asked about being a gay icon:

Oh! I didn't know I was a gay icon. I get a lot of mail -- but I don't get many bad letters -- but I got a woman the other day that was so upset with me because they said, "How do you feel about the gay marriage thing?" and my answer to that is, "I really don't care with whom you sleep, I just care what kind of a decent human being you are." I figure all the rest of it is your business and not mine. And not hers, incidentally.

Comments

1. Love her. I had a Designing Women/Golden Girls marathon for my friends on gay pride.

Said White: "It was a thrill to be with Mr. Obama, but the big thrill was being with Bo, their dog."

Obama ate a dog, right? Dude ate a dog?

Posted by: Alan | Jun 12, 2012 7:53:47 PM

2. Love them both (Betty and Obama)!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jun 12, 2012 8:00:17 PM

3. I loved designing women. Suzann was my fav

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jun 12, 2012 8:02:23 PM

4. I've loved Betty White since watching on her The Mary Tyler Moore show when I was a kid. She always cheers me up!

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Jun 12, 2012 8:10:47 PM

5. And so we see again via her comments that the straight women who some effeminate gay men regard as "icons" are oblivious to those same gay men and their idolization of them, feel no particular affinity for gay men, are often not even supportive of the quest for gay rights--or are at best apathetic towards it, and are sometimes (although not in this instance, perhaps) downright homophobic.

Entirely a one-way street and the supposed affinity--or the notion that these women somehow "represent" gay men or are their "friends"--is nothing more than a figment of the imaginations of such men and a reflection of their own absurd idolization of the opposite sex in opposition to their own.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 12, 2012 8:17:43 PM

6. National Treasure

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 12, 2012 8:26:39 PM

7. Hey, RICK...why don't you just put a gun in your mouth and end your misery once and for all?

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 12, 2012 8:44:26 PM

8. 2 things:
    It's *President* Obama....not Mr.

And there is no way in hell she didn't know she was a gay icon...no way at all. Maybe she forgot, but as long as she has been on the scene, with her television history and public appearances, she had to know.... Maybe she was being modest? I prefer to think that, so I will go with it. :)

Posted by: Robert in SF | Jun 12, 2012 8:45:36 PM

9. She's an icon because she's always had impeccable comic timing, is a great old broad, and has devoted decades to protecting animals. She's also of a generation where many people (my father included) considered what they did in the voting booth none of anyone's damn business. At 90, she probably doesn't feel the need to share her every thought, political or otherwise. Some younger celebrities could use such class~reserve your voice for what you feel truly passionate about.

If she were a Romney (don't forget the caged dog on the roof, Alan, since you're playing that silly game) fan, it's kind of unlikely she'd be hanging with Obama.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 12, 2012 8:48:53 PM

10. Betty White is fabulous distilled into a liquor of such succulent perfection that it almost defies belief.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Jun 12, 2012 8:53:58 PM

11. I know some of the bitchy queens around here aren't going to like what I'm about to say, but hey, if Tank doesn't keep it real, then why even bother to post? RICK, your closeted self-loathing is obvious... you need to loosen up, girlfriend. Take some lessons from Betty White about how to enjoy life and how to keep a youthful spirit even at 90. I just want to put the other Betty White bashers here, if there are any, on notice, that Tank loves him his Betty White, and he won't countenance any disrespect for a true grand dame!

Posted by: TANK | Jun 12, 2012 9:18:17 PM

12. LOVE HER! And props to the Prez for asking to see her birth certificate!

Posted by: westcoast88 | Jun 12, 2012 9:55:54 PM

13. Is it ever ok to have a girl as a friend if you're gay?
    Love Betty but.... Dorothy was my fav

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jun 12, 2012 9:57:14 PM

14. Can Betty White's people or the gays around her let her know - we need her now more than ever to stand with us for gay marriage. It's one thing not to care with whom you're sleeping - it's another for her to stand on the right side of history - i just don't think she knows all the facts right now.

Posted by: Paul Leary | Jun 13, 2012 3:28:16 AM

15. Betty rocks!
    @Georgem, you mean Rose, Dorothy, right? Betty and Bea actors. I loved Rose, but Dorothy was my fav. too, one step ahead of R.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 13, 2012 4:13:32 AM

16. Lead to Really will not discover the less costly one inch almost every other spots. The optimal delivers of the year operate once [url=http://www.newerahatso.com]wholesale dc hats[/url] the time period ends, in addition to prior to set up begins to warmness challenges way up at this point. Over the past several years, there are 10 several cycling jerseys which will never ever old-fashioned with NBA shop or on the list of Nba fans.

Posted by: mlb hats sale | Jun 13, 2012 4:35:15 AM

17. I read one line from rick's post and instantly knew it was his .What a bitter pill he is.

Posted by: Mizzy | Jun 13, 2012 7:49:44 AM

18. Betty was on "The View" recently and she did indeed said she support marriage for everyone.

Posted by: Mizzy | Jun 13, 2012 7:53:35 AM

19. Designing Women? I love Julia's rants! And Suzanne's funny lines. What a show.

I also love Betty White. Such a lady. Whoever her granchildren are, I'm jealous.

Posted by: Andreas | Jun 13, 2012 8:17:06 AM

20. Rick, Betty has come out for Gay rights, Marriage. I actually met and talked to her, at length, in person and she is an out spoken advocate. Her support is key because of her demographic of elder Americans. When I introduced her to my partner of 16 years, and my cat, she could not of been more kind. There. A firsthand account.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | Jun 13, 2012 10:28:25 AM

21. Thanks JACQUES...our flinty Rick needed to hear that. He does go on doesn't he, yet let if be acknowledged that no one is a fiercer advocate for men than Rick is, even though he leaves out our naturally effeminate brothers who need and deserve to be embraced. And of course lots of good women are on our side, divas or not.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 13, 2012 11:16:09 AM

22. Oh Betty, I love you so. Watching her, Bea, Rue and Estelle on Golden Girls was one of the best things about growing up in the 1980s.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jun 13, 2012 11:51:59 AM

23. Another fart in the wind ramble from Rick. What a Debbie Downer. According to him, everyone hates us. It's a wonder he has ANY friends.

Posted by: DANM | Jun 13, 2012 3:32:46 PM

24. And don't forget her acerbic (non-Rose-like) turn as Sue-Ann Nivens on the Mary Tyler Moore show! She was kind of caustic. And hilarious.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Jun 13, 2012 3:47:41 PM

25. "Oh, Murray. I'm going to ignore that comment for now...and hurt you deeply later on."

Posted by: scotsyank | Jun 13, 2012 5:21:17 PM