BigGayDeal.com

News: Proms, Janet Jackson, Austin, Greg Louganis, Munsters

RoadGuess who thinks homophobia is a social disease?

RoadDarren Criss replaces sick P!nk at Obama LGBT fundraiser in L.A. Wednesday.

OconnellRoadMeet the new Herman Munster.

RoadLancaster, Pennsylvania paper announces it will print same-sex marriage announcements after outrage over its rejection of one couple's submission.

RoadMartin Short on Romney: “I’m sure he’s a very nice man. I’ve never met him. I find it fascinating, though, for a party that seems to fear gays as much as they do, that now the Republicans have fallen head-over-heels for a big stiff one.”

RoadThe 10 most miserable countries in the world.

RoadMitt Romney: I have one less home than John Kerry.

RoadOutserve co-director Josh Seefried says higher-ups must come out to help all gay GIs: "I would argue that the U.S. military is rapidly becoming one of the most accepting job opportunities for gay citizens in America, outpacing most private-sector industries and even other nations. In Britain, the policy has been changed a decade, but not one Royal Marine has come out of the closet publicly. Here in America, on Day 1, more than 100 military members came out publicly in OutServe Magazine, from all branches of our military."

RoadVIDEO: Christian Bale still not over the loss of Heath Ledger.

PromRoadTIME: Proms Across America.

RoadYellow Peril: The fetishized object's survival guide. "If you are a sexually active member of the LGBTQ community, there are enough people out there who hate you for what you enjoy sexually, and you don’t need to be one of them. There are literally two different places in your brain that separately control your sexual expression and your politics. As a consenting adult, the only obligation you have is to be responsible about your sexuality. And you don’t ever need to apologize for it!"

RoadAustin's Queerbomb hits.

RoadGay man loses his snake.

RoadTrans woman sentenced to three years in men's prison: "When CeCe McDonald and a group of her black friends were accosted and physically attacked by several white individuals, including having a cocktail glass smashed in her face that cut through her cheek, she chose to defend herself. At the end of the fight, the white man was dead, and McDonald was arrested for stabbing him. She accepted a deal, pleading guilty to second-degree manslaughter. Yesterday, she was sentenced to 41 months, and at least initially, she will serve in a men’s prison."

RoadMatt Bomer looking slick at the CFDA Fashion Awards.

Wing_enterpriseRoadSpace Shuttle Enterprise barge captain has accident en route to USS Intrepid, busts spacecraft's wing!

RoadJanet Jackson to produce transgender documentary called Truth: "The documentary begins production this summer and will focus on the lives and struggles of transgender persons. Jackson writes in a statement that she is working on the project to try to stop discrimination of the transgender community."

RoadBarry Diller donates $30 million to Motion Picture and Television Fund.

RoadGreg Louganis writes about triumphing over his bullies: "I almost want to thank all the bullies in my life: the ones who called me 'n*gger,' 'retard,' 'sissy boy,' and 'f*ggot'; those who threatened to throw punches at me and took my lunch money at the bus stop; those who actually threw punches at me and rubbed my face in asphalt; my dad, who whipped me with his belt until I did a dive I was too scared to do in my regular practice; the coaches who belittled me and intimidated me into pushing myself beyond what I thought I was capable of; and the man who raped me at knifepoint, whom I then stayed with for another six years."

Comments

1. Greg Louganis is amazing!

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 5, 2012 4:15:37 PM

2. The matt homer link leads to a video about jon stewart.

Posted by: Emmy | Jun 5, 2012 4:16:32 PM

3. I really do love Janet Jackson. She is a pretty classy lady, Super Bowl incident and some of her more recent sexsexcumonmytits pop music aside. She does some great charity work and always keeps her personal life out of the tabloids. How she has remained sane when the majority of her family is obviously not is beyond me. I guess she distanced herself from it early enough.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 5, 2012 4:36:10 PM

4. Dear Mitt:

John Kerry ran in 2004. You are running against Obama.

Signed,

2012

P.S. The 99 percenters don't care about the rich guys comparing themselves. Especially those who barely have one house. It seems out of touch with the common man.

Posted by: OK | Jun 5, 2012 4:42:32 PM

5. Greg Louganis will you marry me?

I'm serious.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 5, 2012 4:48:52 PM

6. What's this Kerry vs. Romney thing on how many mansions they own? When I lived in Beacon Hill a few years ago, I used to walk by the Kerry mansion and his bodyguards used to throw me on the sidewalk and frisk me. This was during the presidential election around 2004 I think when Bush defeated him. You should see that place. Limousines, rich people carrying Gucci and Prada bags. I've never seen so much Democratic wealth since Bill Maher gave Obama a million dollar check.

Now I'm too poor to live in Beacon Hill so I had to move to Roxbury.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 5, 2012 4:54:15 PM

7. That's okay Allan, I'm sure if you walk by one of Romney's mansions the Secret Service will give you a big hug and make you feel better.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Jun 5, 2012 5:15:43 PM

8. Right, Greg. By being tough on you, other men made you tough. Masculinity being re-inforced. And you are right to thank those men because, no, you would never have become who you did if they had not instilled masculine values in you. You would probably have ended up collecting Barbie dolls rather than being an Olympic champion.

In short, they made a man out of you.

Congratulations--to you and to them.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 5, 2012 5:49:00 PM

9. That's great Greg, you thank them. Me, I couldn't wait to spit on their graves.

Posted by: John | Jun 5, 2012 6:01:44 PM

10. "Me, I couldn't wait to spit on their graves"

You mean you wouldn't have enough courage to confront them until they were dead?

Posted by: Rick | Jun 5, 2012 6:09:50 PM

11. The snake article is good, an interesting bond between a man and his snake (no pun intended), both of them wrongly feared and misunderstood.

You know, Rick, the thing you consistently refuse to see is that those who are "effeminate" are very often tougher than those gay men who pride themselves on their masculinity. They faced and continue to face jeers and slurs because they are the most easily identifiable face of the gay community. And you know what? That which has YOU so scared, that people might look at you and know you're gay, hasn't broken them at all. They've faced more $#!T than most "average" gay guys have and they're not only still here but flourishing.

So exactly who in this scenario is displaying the REAL guts? My money is on them!

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 5, 2012 6:20:26 PM

12. Rick is at it again!

Posted by: EYE ROLL | Jun 5, 2012 6:34:03 PM

13. Rick: would you do that to one of your kids, like the pastor who says you should beat your kid if he is effeminate? If so, expect many lonely Father's Days in your future.

Posted by: EYE ROLL | Jun 5, 2012 6:40:54 PM

14. Rick: would you do that to one of your kids, like the pastor who says you should beat your kid if he is effeminate? If so, expect many lonely Father's Days in your future.

Posted by: EYE ROLL | Jun 5, 2012 6:40:58 PM

15. Rick and his asinine comments are becoming so predictable and boring.

Posted by: Sylvatica | Jun 5, 2012 7:40:26 PM

16. got a little teary about the snake.

i get louganis' point, i'm uncomfortable with this kind of ham-handed "gratitude" to his abusers

Posted by: gomez | Jun 5, 2012 9:36:59 PM

17. IT IS SAD AND PITIFUL THAT TRANS WOMAN IS GOING TO JAIL FOR DEFENDING HERSELF! OF COURSE YOU GUYS DO CARE UNLESS IT SOME SKINNY WHITE DUDE....SO I WILL GIVE HER SOME LOVE....NOW WHEN -----YOU------ ARE THE VICTIM OF HATE----------PLEASE--------- DO NOT EVER COME TO PEOPLE OF OTHER GROUPS IN THE LEAST TO GAIN PITY......

Posted by: Shannon | Jun 5, 2012 11:27:43 PM

18. I kind of get the feeling Janet is doing this for Michael.

Posted by: fern | Jun 5, 2012 11:58:22 PM

19. I would have more respect for Greg if I hadn't read his book and found out so much about him that was so unappealing. There was no realization of what he contributed to his own problems. It was just one pity party where he refused to learn from his mistakes. I wish him well but I would NEVER want to be his boyfriend. He's a mess.

Posted by: James | Jun 6, 2012 1:00:38 AM

20. I love Miley! People keep bashing her and calling her trashy, but I look at her and see a compassionate, strong and very brave young woman. Plus, it doesn't hurt that she's pretty and talented...

Posted by: Deee! | Jun 6, 2012 1:18:42 AM

21. @SHANNON
    What a pitiful liar you are. You could care less about that woman. All you care about is spreading your hate for the Gay community.

Posted by: ELI | Jun 6, 2012 9:14:14 AM

22. "They've faced more $#!T than most "average" gay guys have and they're not only still here but flourishing"

They are not flourishing; they are relegated to the margins of society because of their behavior and therefore will never have rich, full lives

Posted by: Rick | Jun 6, 2012 10:44:54 AM

23. Look Rick a lot of effeminant men can't help it. They're constructed differently, their mannerisms are natural to them and they can be the most charming of people. They actually can't stop the way they move anymore than your average lout who scratches his ass and blows snot on his sleeve.

Interestingly, it's the easiest thing in the world to imitate effeminant behaviour which is what makes drag queens so common in every sense of the word. The fakers do endless harm to the often very sweet guys who can't help it.

Andy ran a post a few months ago from someone who very touchingly made his case about this - the hurtful derision he faced was heartbreaking, I wish Andy would run it again. You need to understand this Rick. Being masculine is fine but being naturally effeminant harms no one.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 6, 2012 12:18:21 PM

24. @UFFDA We will just have to agree to disagree about that. There certainly is a wide range of behavior among men, as there is among women, and some men are, in fact, more naturally masculine than others.....BUT there is a basic set of masculine values that all adhere to.

If you can find me a single heterosexual man who behaves with the kind of "natural" effeminacy you are referring to, I might re-consider, but you will find it very difficult to find an example of that, I believe.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 6, 2012 1:44:59 PM