George H.W. Bush | News | Republican Party

Jenna Bush Interviews Former President George H. W. Bush on His 88th Birthday: VIDEO

Georgehwbush

The 41st President reflects on aging, his time as President, his legacy, his loss to Bill Clinton in 1992, Barbara Bush, revisiting the White House, his socks, Justin Bieber, and mortality.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. well maybe if his son (dufas) would have openened up more then a measly amount of stem cells lines he would'nt have parkenson's.

Oh and the jackass that Poppy followed ( well ) could have giving the gay community protese inhibators thru an FDA fast track.

karma

Posted by: lawrence | Jun 12, 2012 7:43:25 PM

2. I don't suppose it ever occurs to him that he should have sent GBUSH2 off to some foreignland with plenty of money and no return ticket.

Posted by: gregory brown | Jun 12, 2012 7:54:19 PM

3. What a nice clip. Goes to show that beyond the partisan politics these are human beings who have the capacity to love and care for fellow humans.

Posted by: Sweet | Jun 12, 2012 7:54:43 PM

4. @lawrence uh, sure. First of all honey, it's "Parkinson’s disease." Learn how to spell, girlfriend.

I guess his son George, Jr. was busy saving millions of life dying from HIV and AIDS related illnesses in Africa to deal with Parkinson’s disease.

It truly amazes me how some of you have so much hatred for someone that you are blind to the good in one single person. Shame on you.

SHAME.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 12, 2012 7:58:30 PM

5. Contrary to Sweet, I think the clip shows that privilege never ends. It's far too easy to become distracted by how spoiled people treat each other, and then we forget about how they treated everyone else when it mattered. A decade in Texas taught me that "nice" people will stab you in the back, and then pat their own for thinking of such a great idea. Niceness doesn't count for anything, with me. It's what you do that counts.

This man (not just his son) has earned our scorn. His age and his celebrity granddaughter are no reason to hide it. In contrast, there are seniors and grandparents all across the country, who didn't screw up so many people. They have real stories to tell, and are just as loved by their celebrity grandkids. It would have been refreshing to see one of those stories.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 12, 2012 8:40:46 PM

6. @Alan, "saving millions of life dying" - shouldn't that be lives... girlfriend? If you're gonna correct someone, you *really* should make sure your post is correct too. You know?

As far as Larry's point... I believe he's tying the whole "karma" comment to the fact that GWB Sr., as Vice President during the 80's, Reagan didn't do what a majority of people feel should have been done at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. And thus, in his mind deserves Parkinson's

That is how I understand his post anyway.

Posted by: theotherlee | Jun 12, 2012 8:46:56 PM

7. So his granddaughter interviewed a senior citizen. I could also watch paint dry.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 12, 2012 8:57:25 PM

8. As nauseating as the whole pseudo-royalist worship of the Bush dynasty is, I'll confess to having some respect for George the Elder. As Republicans go, he was at least intelligent and sane, and recognised that racking up massive deficits was not a good way to run the country - something which many of his party colleagues are still yet to realise.

Posted by: Tommy B | Jun 12, 2012 9:00:39 PM

9. What self-respecting news organization would even AIR such an "interview"? How dumb has America become???

Posted by: greg | Jun 12, 2012 9:04:32 PM

10. It isn't part of Tank's nature to bash a granddaughter being respectful and proud of her Grandpa, and so I won't bash the Bushes as people. But I just have to say, to keep it real, that that family has NEVER done anything for the sake of gay rights. They didn't give a hoot when gay people were fifth class citizens in this country, and they don't mind that we are still second class citizens today. They've never shown any real leadership or moral courage in regard to gay issues... period. Wow, sounds just like that calculating politician in the White House right now. Just keeping it real, guys!

Posted by: TANK | Jun 12, 2012 9:22:46 PM

11. wow, Bring Your Daughter to Work Day really paid off for that Intern.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 12, 2012 9:43:43 PM

12. I'm wondering what kind of heaven it is that former heads of the CIA go to.

Posted by: David | Jun 12, 2012 10:42:18 PM

13. This is one of the most evil and fundamentally un-American families this country has ever produced. From the Nazi sympathizer, financier and enabler, Prescott Bush who conspired to overthrow FDR and replace him with a fascist regime, to Poppy Bush who helped enable Reagan's "Voodoo economic" policies that seriously hurt many poor and middle class families, as well as his failure to do anything to save lives during the early stages of the AIDS epidemic. Then there's poppy's criminal actions as head of the CIA fostering death squads in Central and South America and his family's cozy ties to our nation's Middle Eastern enemies, most notably the Saudi's Bin Laden family. Then there's the idiot younger son, the war criminal that ruined not just America's economy but that of the world as well and lied this country into an illegal, unnecessary and unfunded war. Now we have the "smart" Bush, Jeb who helped engineer the theft of the 2000 Presidential election for his dimwitted sibling and who is now a possible VP running mate for Romney. I Romney loses in November look for Jeb to be a 2016 Presidential candidate. This family is poison and if the American people were wise, they wouldn't allow any more of these Bush vipers anywhere near the levers of power. Benedict Arnold was just one traitor, the Bush clan is an entire family of unindicted criminals and traitors. Maybe Rush will make fun of Bush's Parkinson's Disease with the same joy he mocked Michael J. Fox?

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 12, 2012 10:59:00 PM

14. ...generation...after generation...after generation...

Posted by: Mic | Jun 13, 2012 12:00:18 AM

15. I made it about 3 minutes before i had to go berf.

yes, "berf." That's when a piece of your soul comes out.

Posted by: KDNA | Jun 13, 2012 1:50:15 AM

16. Thanks. While I can appreciate his role in American History, I'm just not interested in anything he has to say.

Posted by: Davelandia | Jun 13, 2012 2:32:55 AM

17. I want to meet Tank someday real soon!

Posted by: Alan Arthur Chiras | Jun 13, 2012 6:52:42 AM

18. Anyone who has worked in older government offices know those chairs they are sitting in are government issued property....from pre-1960.

Posted by: MB | Jun 13, 2012 7:53:58 AM

19. I'm not interested in glorifying the man who propped up Saddam Hussein as CIA Director. I'm also not going to praise someone whose administration was so asleep at the wheel they did almost nothing while Iraq massed troops on the border of Kuwait and then invaded causing the Persian Gulf War. This began a host of other problems that we're still dealing with in the middle-east. He wasn't as much of a fool as his f**ked up son, but I don't have a warm place in my heart for him at all. His administration right along with Reagan were the first to usher in the era of Religious Right influence in government.

Posted by: Brad | Jun 13, 2012 9:54:46 AM

20. I'm not interested in glorifying the man who propped up Saddam Hussein as CIA Director. I'm also not going to praise someone whose administration was so asleep at the wheel they did almost nothing while Iraq massed troops on the border of Kuwait and then invaded causing the Persian Gulf War. This began a host of other problems that we're still dealing with in the middle-east. He wasn't as much of a fool as his f**ked up son, but I don't have a warm place in my heart for him at all. His administration right along with Reagan were the first to usher in the era of Religious Right influence in government.

Posted by: Brad | Jun 13, 2012 9:54:46 AM

21. I kept thinking of the line from the Smiths song "Shoplifters of the World Unite":

My only weakness
    Is a list of crimes
    My only weakness
    Is well never mind, never mind

I'd add to Bob R.'s excellent but far from complete list: Poppy using his Middle East connections to delay the release of the Embassy hostages in Tehran until after the 1980 election.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jun 13, 2012 10:04:07 AM

22. Another hard-hitting interview from American media...

Posted by: BobN | Jun 13, 2012 10:13:42 AM

23. It is a shame when senility begins to affect one's life, but I guess it gets to all of us if we live long enough. How sad.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Jun 14, 2012 7:19:15 PM