Baptist | Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | News

Dallas Pastor Frederick Haynes Rips His Congregation for Opposing Gay Marriage: VIDEO

Haynes

Here's our must-watch video of the day.

Rev. Frederick D. Haynes III of the Friendship-West Baptist Church blasted fellow pastors and members of his congregation for their outrage at President Obama's endorsement of marriage equality while the congregation stood up and shouted their disapproval at him.

CongregantYelled Haynes:

"You should have seen preachers just scurrying and hurrying to call a conference call to call out the President for what he had declared as a personal opinion. He said it was a personal opinion. But whatever you like to ostracize other people it's because there's a fear that you have yourself, and the fear that you have finds itself rooted in an ignorance of other people. Or in a projection of your issues. Either there's ignorance or there is a projection of your issues...It really blows my mind how outraged you are. You are so outraged over what the President said. First of all, take a chill pill. Take a deep breath, everything's gonna be all right."

Haynes added:

"Have you ever read the Gospel and heard Jesus say anything about homosexuality?...Black folk can't even deal with homosexuality because we got issues with sexuality. And because we got issues with sexuality we can't have a healthy discussion about homosexuality. Why, why do you get so upset?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Can we get an AMEN?

Posted by: endo | Jun 8, 2012 10:55:18 AM

2. Brian Brown's head just exploded.

Posted by: kpo5 | Jun 8, 2012 10:56:13 AM

3. Can I get an AMEN!

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Jun 8, 2012 10:58:55 AM

4. Holy s**t!

PREACH IT! Can I get a Hallelujah!

It's awesome that he challenged his congregation this way, didn't tell them what they wanted to hear but what they needed to hear. I half to admit it's surprising (for me anyway) to hear a passionate defense of gay rights spoken in that Southern Baptist cadence. Now compare him to "Bishop" Eddie Long, preaching hate for gays from the pulpit but grooming young men for sex behind the scenes.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 8, 2012 11:02:06 AM

5. AMEN

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 8, 2012 11:02:24 AM

6. Rev. Haynes is a brilliant, courageous man who speaks Truth. He makes clear that Obama is the President of the United States, not the Pastor of the United States, and that Obama has sworn to defend the Constitution, not the Bible.

Posted by: trees | Jun 8, 2012 11:03:03 AM

7. Can I get a A-MEN?

I said, can i get a A-MEN?

(Anybody notice, by the way, that most of the shouts of disapproval were coming from women?

Posted by: Rick | Jun 8, 2012 11:03:26 AM

8. So predictable, aren't you, Rick. This unhealthy hatred of women is truly disturbing. You really should seek some mental health care.

Posted by: LiamB | Jun 8, 2012 11:05:16 AM

9. Wow.

Posted by: Mic | Jun 8, 2012 11:07:53 AM

10. I am white as snow, but can see that this truth-teller DESERVES to be in a pulpit, unlike most creepy clerics. The source of any tradition is in the message of the founder. Believe it. Or not. Truth wins every time.

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Jun 8, 2012 11:08:10 AM

11. I think I just found me a new CHURCH! PREACH IT, PASTOR! And THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus would be PROUD of YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Brian Anthony Bowen | Jun 8, 2012 11:15:00 AM

12. @Liamb You will see that when confronted with the very real possibility of men dispensing with their homophobia and truly embracing sexual and emotional freedom with each other--and with it, independence from women--women feel threatened by it and respond accordingly.

Which is why the face of homophobia is increasingly female (Maggie Gallagher, Michelle Bachmann, Sara Palin, One Million Moms, Concerned Women for America, etc., etc.)

Posted by: Rick | Jun 8, 2012 11:16:45 AM

13. Even if they are against gay marriage, the solution is simple: don't get gay married

People just need to stop involving themselves in other peoples' lives and stop telling then how to live

Posted by: Steve | Jun 8, 2012 11:17:59 AM

14. Everybody ignore Rick. As you can see, he lures you in with something positive, then adds in some of his normal anti-women rant (which I'm sure will morph into an anti-femme rant later in the comments). IGNORE THE TROLL AND IT WILL STARVE AND DIE AWAY.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 8, 2012 11:20:05 AM

15. Amen. Sucks that he'll probably lose a bunch of his flock because of what he said.

Posted by: ed | Jun 8, 2012 11:21:31 AM

16. "Rick" is, needless to say, a woman.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 8, 2012 11:25:12 AM

17. this man f***ing ROCKS! this is what fire, passion and integrity look like when they come together.

this man is my hero of the day. proud to call you brother.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 8, 2012 11:27:51 AM

18. Wow. Amen.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 8, 2012 11:28:14 AM

19. Oh, I'll tell you feminist liberal leftist effeminate queens why I hate women. Because my mother used to hog my dad's c*ck and that's not fair because I liked sucking on it, and I know I was damn better at it than she was.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 8, 2012 11:29:21 AM

20. I've often wondered if some of the open hostility towards homosexuality in the church-going Black community...especially from the Hat Ladies...stems from their know full-well what's really going-on right-in-front-of-them with their own men and their sons and fathers being on the Down-Low...of the open-fear that they might be? Gay sexuality is perceived as such a threat to in integrity of their families and marriages that they react viscerally to any discussion of gay rights is a direct affront to their Matriarchal authority.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jun 8, 2012 11:30:13 AM

21. Now that's Christianity!

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 8, 2012 11:30:41 AM

22. I think Rick has a point.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jun 8, 2012 11:32:15 AM

23. Just as gay republicans have to neuter themselves in order to win "tolerance" from straight republicans - cut your balls off, so you appear non-threatening, because the last thing Republicans want is to be around gay people who have the spines needed to stand up for themselves, and for others.

That's why there's overwhelming open hostility towards LGBT people from the Republican communities - it's a culture of women who get beat by their ignorant husbands if they don't drop to their knees to blow them while dinner is cooking, and a culture of boys who never learned to stand up to daddy and his bogus, and factually incorrect, opinions on government and culture.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 8, 2012 11:33:18 AM

24. As a proud Atheist I would happily attend this man's church, and enjoy myself.

Amen indeed.