President Obama Issues LGBT Pride Month Proclamation

B_obama

President Obama's LGBT Pride Month proclamation, just in from the White House:

A PROCLAMATION

From generation to generation, ordinary Americans have led a proud and inexorable march toward freedom, fairness, and full equality under the law -- not just for some, but for all. Ours is a heritage forged by those who organized, agitated, and advocated for change; who wielded love stronger than hate and hope more powerful than insult or injury; who fought to build for themselves and their families a Nation where no one is a second-class citizen, no one is denied basic rights, and all of us are free to live and love as we see fit.

The lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT)community has written a proud chapter in this fundamentally American story. From brave men and women who came out and spokeout, to union and faith leaders who rallied for equality, toactivists and advocates who challenged unjust laws and marched on Washington, LGBT Americans and allies have achieved what once seemed inconceivable. This month, we reflect on their enduring legacy, celebrate the movement that has made progress possible, and recommit to securing the fullest blessings of freedom for all Americans.

WhitehouseSince I took office, my Administration has worked to broaden opportunity, advance equality, and level the playing field for LGBT people and communities. We have fought to secure justice for all under the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr.,Hate Crimes Prevention Act, and we have taken action to end housing discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. We expanded hospital visitation rights for LGBT patients and their loved ones, and under the Affordable Care Act, we ensured that insurance companies will no longer be able to deny coverage to someone just because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. Because we understand that LGBT rights are human rights, we continue to engage with the international community in promoting and protecting the rights of LGBT persons around the world. Because we repealed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," gay, lesbian, and bisexual Americans can serve their country openly, honestly, and without fear of losing their jobs because of whom they love. And because we must treat others the way we want to be treated, I personally believe in marriage equality for same-sex couples.

More remains to be done to ensure every single American is treated equally, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. Moving forward, my Administration will continue its work to advance the rights of LGBT Americans. This month, as we reflect on how far we have come and how far we have yet to go, let us recall that the progress we have made is built on the words and deeds of ordinary Americans. Let us pay tribute to those who came before us, and those who continue their work today; and let us rededicate ourselves to a task that is unending -- the pursuit of a Nation where all are equal, and all have the full and unfettered opportunity to pursue happiness and live openly and freely.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2012 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month.

I call upon the people of the United States to eliminate prejudice everywhere it exists, and to celebrate the great diversity of the American people.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-sixth.

BARACK OBAMA

Comments

1. Yes, but he isn't going to force LGBT Pride month on the states. He thinks they should be able to make their own decisions on this matter...........(a joke!)

Posted by: Mary | Jun 1, 2012 6:32:12 PM

2. Want to see another proclamation next June? Vote for Obama, not for the guy who want to write us out of the U.S. Constitution.

Posted by: K in VA | Jun 1, 2012 6:48:34 PM

3. Try getting anything approaching that out of a Republican.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 1, 2012 6:49:49 PM

4. I'm sure there will be the criticisms here of how President Obama hasn't done anything, really, for us. The Pride Proclamtion is just empty words, etc. But it will be much, much, worse with a Romney Administration...with Bryan Fischer and Tony Perkins calling the shots. *I* think President Obama has done very well for our community and is most deserving for re-election.

Posted by: Terry | Jun 1, 2012 6:53:41 PM

5. Under a Romney administration, Pride Month would be replaced by Proudly Stripping LGBT Americans of their Civil Rights Month, and the parade would be as thrilling as Mittens himself. (Though the magical underpants float could be amusing.)

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 1, 2012 7:00:00 PM

6. Obama 2012 <3 ... because the other guy is a vomit lol XD!

Posted by: Mark | Jun 1, 2012 7:24:54 PM

7. Cue the Reich (sic) Wing pissing themselves in ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Posted by: Bud Burgoon-Clark | Jun 1, 2012 7:33:57 PM

8. The cover story in this week's LA Weekly (our big local freebie of news and entertainment) is about the tide-turning on gay bullying attitudes and remedies. The piece says quite a bit more than I've heard before about the Obama justice department's aggressive actions on this front, and touts this as one of the president's better and largely unsung LGBT achievements.

I haven't heard Obama crow about this, nor have I read anything about it in the gay press (which I admit, my exposure is pretty limited to Towleroad) ... but if you're so inclined ...

Posted by: Zlick | Jun 1, 2012 7:50:27 PM

9. @Zlick

Thanks for that! I consider myself to be someone who stays well abreast of gay political news, and hadn't really read anything about this. I'll definitely work to spread the word!

Posted by: L'Herb | Jun 1, 2012 9:47:19 PM

10. "in the year of our Lord two thousand twelve"

Who's Lord?

Posted by: Randy | Jun 2, 2012 12:02:02 AM

11. This would never happen under a "president romney" ....

Posted by: KFLO | Jun 2, 2012 1:32:19 AM

12. Using leisure time watching DVDS and became a hobby for many people, the inside of the DVD many scene can bring you an exciting experience, recommended for everybody Raising Hope Season 1 DVD, very nice.

---------------------------------

Posted by: Raising Hope Season 1 DVD | Jun 2, 2012 2:13:59 AM

13. Still the sexiest president we've ever had.

Posted by: Billy Beyond | Jun 2, 2012 6:14:56 AM

14. I don't care what anyone else says, I love this man. He is so eloquent and such an amazing leader. He absolutely deserves a second term. President Mittens would be a nightmare for everyone.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 2, 2012 10:09:01 AM

15. Love me some Obama.

In the last few months, life has become incredibly hard for gay republicans. they now have to deal with the reality that a black liberal democrat whose middle name is Hussein officially has done more for them, and respects them more, than their own white christian conservative republican family members

ouch. sucks to be them. oh well!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 2, 2012 1:00:45 PM

16. To paraphrase Janet Jackson: what have you done for the president lately?

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Jun 2, 2012 2:58:21 PM

17. "focused like a laser" on jobs I see

Of course if your life revolves around anal he's the bestest prez ever!

Posted by: Rick H. | Jun 2, 2012 5:25:22 PM

18. how do i have pride or believe him when i still pay huge taxes on my parner's health insurance??

Posted by: will | Jun 3, 2012 11:26:32 AM

19. I think Obama is super. I voted for him in 2008 and will vote for him again in November. I do wish that people would stop referring to him as a black president. He is a mixed race man. He had a white mother and a black father. To continuously refer to him as a black man ignores and disrespects his mother.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 3, 2012 4:02:10 PM