One Direction's Louis Tomlinson: Harry Styles and I are 'Best Friends', Not a Gay Couple

Onedirection

One Direction's Louis Tomlinson says that fan fantasies that he and bandmate Harry Styles are an item are disruptive.

Says Tomlinson in an interview with Storyboard:

"This is a subject that was funny at first but now is actually hard to deal with in a relationship. Me and Harry are best friends, people look into our every move—it is actually affecting the way me and Harry are in public. We want to joke around, but there seems to be a different rumor every time we do anything. I act the same way with Harry as I do [with] any of the other boys and my childhood friend Stan."

Comments

1. Harry and I! HARRY AND I!!

Posted by: Eric | Jul 20, 2012 2:35:19 PM

2. I think that this is a bit of culture shock for them. American audiences probably don't understand the behavior that is typical among British "lads." In other words, American's have different hangups on masculinity. It's perfectly normal for two hetero guys to hug and chum around, hell its normal for a straight guy to do that with his gay friends. Sad country we live in where any sort of affection between men is automatically seen as a sexual advance (and probably as "dangerous").

Posted by: Alex | Jul 20, 2012 2:52:35 PM

3. LMAO. Oh, Eric. Hahaha! I gave up, but indeed, "Harry and I".

And now, I can officially say that I am old and out of touch. Harry and who? One direction where? WHAA? HUH?

Posted by: ESA | Jul 20, 2012 2:54:36 PM

4. Don't so don't be so homophobic, we can have our fantasies, you can have your boy friends, who are just friends not lovers, be happy we fantasize about you it makes you rich.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 20, 2012 3:06:49 PM

5. I do think it's a shame that tabloids (and the populace in general) so quickly try to make romantic or sexual assumptions when they see two people together in ANY context.

Personally I think it's adorable when two guys or two girls are such close friends that they tend to hang on one another, hug hello or goodbye, and lose all sense of each others' personal space, completely oblivious to what they might look like from an outsider's perspective.

And it's equally tragic when two guys or two girls become uncomfortable doing so, because they're forced to deal with rumors and gossip. It becomes TIRESOME having to dispel those rumors as every interviewer feels compelled to inquire.

Posted by: sparks | Jul 20, 2012 3:09:04 PM

6. Alex, they are bothered by it over here, too. And I don't think they are being homophobic at all, Mike. Its disrespectful to the people they ARE in relationships with to be discounted so in order to sell magazines.

Posted by: Tim | Jul 20, 2012 3:15:14 PM

7. Awwww how's ad for these little fellas. This from the group that called their girl fans c*nts last week.

Posted by: DrJWL | Jul 20, 2012 3:17:55 PM

8. What a cute couple. They would make good Public Relations. Youth rules our world.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 20, 2012 3:31:32 PM

9. A shame he feels the need to make a statement. I hate fansites & the internet sometimes...The TMZ life is too powerful & exhausting.

Posted by: yep | Jul 20, 2012 3:40:37 PM

10. Actually, he's dating the blonde.

Posted by: S. | Jul 20, 2012 3:50:41 PM

11. Someday he/they will evolve to what Johnny Galecki said about Gay Rumors involving him: "Why Defend Yourself Against Something That's Not Offensive?"

Posted by: dctopman | Jul 20, 2012 3:52:45 PM

12. Several of you make great points. It is pathetic that we live in a culture that eroticizes affection between men.

What does it say that a father can kiss his daughter on the lips, but not his son? If there is something gay about the kiss between a father and a son, than the father-daughter kiss is totally suspect.

As to poor little Louis' culture shock . . . Waaa!! Cry Me A River!

Louis . . . you need to develop a thick skin. Mayhap you are familiar with the oft Shakespearean quote, Hamlet's mother, Queen Gertrude: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks?"

Making a big thing will only act to convince people. Grow a pair, and man up, dude!

My suggestion play to the cameras. Slip Harry some tongue . . . joke how if you were gay he would be the man for you. Take a note from James and Dave Franco's playbook on fame and fortune, and lighten up!

You wanted fame and fortune, and you inexplicably got it. Stop your whining, save your money, and enjoy the attention while you have it, because it is not going to last very long. Greater artists than you have fallen by the wayside.

The day may come when you will have to pretend to be gay just to get anyone's interest. So kiss your mate, and be happy!

Posted by: Ricco | Jul 20, 2012 3:54:01 PM

13. Did Galecki say that? Impressive.

Posted by: Rascal | Jul 20, 2012 4:05:52 PM

14. Let those two cute boys have any sort of relationship they want

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 20, 2012 4:13:27 PM

15. I mean, I can understand Louis's insecurity. He's obviously insecure and worried about being outed when he's not ready and/or willing to come out. Not justifying his comments, but I can understand his mentality. With that being said, Johnny Galecki sure did say that quote in regards to rumors he is gay and that's the best way to go about it. Kelly Clarkson (she's sort of a intellectual lightweight, but still) never gets so defensive whenever the constant rumors of her being a lesbian are brought up. When you make the rumors out to be a big deal, people are going to assume more about it (aka Tom Cruise). I can understand it being tiring, but if you know you're straight, it shouldn't be a big deal to you at the end of the day. If you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to get sensitive and upset over.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 20, 2012 4:24:39 PM

16. "Sad country we live in where any sort of affection between men is automatically seen as a sexual advance (and probably as "dangerous")."

Agreed, but as long as homosexuality is stigmatized, such affection will be frowned on, and as long as homosexuality is equated with effeminacy and a masculinity deficiency, it will continue to be stigmatized.

Moral of the story: eliminate effeminate behavior among gay men and the whole problem melts away completely for all men, regardless of sexual orientation......

(and by the way, I would hardly hold the UK up as an example of a "relaxed" male culture)

Posted by: Rick | Jul 20, 2012 4:41:43 PM

17. Rick, I disagree: don't eliminate anything; educate. Why should anyone change their natural -and unharmful to others/ behaviour? To please who? The mainstream? I find that heterosexist, if not homophobic.

Posted by: Pablo | Jul 20, 2012 4:53:35 PM

18. @Pablo

Nobody should change their natural behavior--effeminate behavior in men, however, is anything but natural; it is an affectation, born of the low self-esteem of some gay men.....learned behavior that is a symptom of emotional and mental damage.

And most gay men find it as much of a turn-off as the rest of society does.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 20, 2012 5:00:16 PM

19. Being a crotchety old-timer, I've only recently heard of this group and only seen them once. I came away with the impression they were ALL gay.

Posted by: jomicur | Jul 20, 2012 5:06:20 PM

20. There seems to be at least one gay guy in every Boy Band. Give it a few years. At least one of them will come out.

Posted by: Wilkby | Jul 20, 2012 5:26:16 PM

21. The lyrics to their songs strike me as really uptight: nonstop, obsessive heternormative songs about hot girls. They really hit you over the head with it, over and over again. In general, I think that when people like the guys in One Direction turn down the volume on the full-blast declarations of how straight they are, the rest of the world will cut them more slack.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 20, 2012 6:12:44 PM

22. Obviously, only the guys know the truth. If they are just close friends, then it's a shame that they are subjected to this sort of 'harassment' ... I'm a gay man, and there is nothing at all wrong about being gay, but being a young, open-minded, straight guy.. having to deal constantly with the suspicion of being dishonest and hiding their true selves is sad.

I completely understand WHY these rumors are perpetrated. They're both cute young men.. that are *very* physically affectionate in public. More so than any males I've ever known that weren't gay. But, that doesn't mean they are gay.

People in the gay community and those that are sympathetic to the gay community are constantly saying that they want a world where being gay is irrelevant, isn't a world where two straight boys can be openly affectionate, without fear, just that?

Lay off the boys people.. If they are, let them come to terms with it in their own time, in their own way. If they aren't you're behaving no better than straight bullies acting out against gay teens.

Posted by: theotherlee | Jul 20, 2012 7:02:18 PM

23. Rick, yeah, you are one to talk about "stigmatizing". You have been stigmatizing "effeminate" gay males on here way too long. What is your deal? A girly boy turn you down? Such a sad individual you must be.

Posted by: BOB | Jul 20, 2012 7:50:39 PM

24. Just give it time Louis. In a few years NO ONE will be talking about you. The shelf-life of boy bands is pretty short.

Posted by: topsyturvy | Jul 20, 2012 8:43:14 PM

25. No one cares you two are in love and are dating. It is so ho hum now to come out.

Posted by: Guest | Jul 20, 2012 8:50:57 PM