Charlie Rogers | Crime | Lincoln, NE | Nebraska | News

Nebraska Woman Who Had 'Dyke' Carved Into Her Stomach in Home Invasion Speaks Out: VIDEO

Rogers

Last Sunday, three men broke into Charlie Rogers' home and attacked her, binding her with zip ties before carving the word "dyke" into her stomach and painting anti-gay phrases on her wall. They then poured gasoline on her floor and attempted to light her house on fire.

WefoundudykeAccording to a friend, Rogers reportedly "crawled from her house, naked and bleeding and screaming for help before reaching the doorstep" of a neighbor's home.

Now Roger has decided to come forward in an interview with KETV about the incident because people are doubting her story.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Says Rogers, a former basketball player at the University of Nebraska, avid volunteer and small business owner: "My world has been changed forever...For people to think this doesn't happen here, it does. It did."

Rogers says that to have her integrity questioned feels "victimizing again, saddening."

"The idea that people think it's a lie is so hurtful. It's understandable. Intellectually I understand that people have a hard time wrapping their heads around what happened. So do I. But I'm a person, with feelings, with concerns. It's just so...it feels like a punch in the stomach. Like a betrayal, instead of the focus being on safety, healing...I'm not a pawn in a game. I'm a person."

CNN adds:

Rogers said she had tried to keep her identity secret after the incident. But she decided to go public Thursday because there have been allegations that the attack did not happen.

"For people to think this doesn't happen here, it does. It did," Rogers told the affiliate.

Rogers' attorney, Megan Mikolajczyk, told CNN Rogers wanted to make it clear it was not "a hoax." Asked if there was anyone specific they were addressing, Mikolajczyk said there was not, but that she wasn't surprised there were naysayers.

"I don't think it's safe or necessary to point the finger at any one individual," Mikolajczyk said. "I think its par for the course for any sort of high profile incident for people to question what happened."

The incident has been classified as a hate crime.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. so sorry this happened to her...I HOPE they catch these Mother fuckers that did this to her

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jul 27, 2012 8:03:30 AM

2. she does have a bit o' the "crazy eyes", but hopefully she is not making this up, and they will find those responsible.

Posted by: bryan | Jul 27, 2012 8:03:54 AM

3. Her revealing who she is convinces me that the attack really happened. If it didn't she'd only be opening herself up to criticism and be making herself an easy mark for someone who really IS going to do violence to a gay person.

Posted by: Mary | Jul 27, 2012 8:11:33 AM

4. Oh please, here we go again! @Bryan: I encountered you on the last site and you were basically saying the same thing when this story first broke out. What is it going to take to convince you that this attack actually happened? Here she is, going on camera for the first time after the event, laying it out for the public that this was not faked, this was not a hoax. and that this actually happened to her. To claim that she is just playing the victim card is horrible! Did she NOT say in her comments that she did not ASK for this to happen to her and that she did not WANT this to happen? DID SHE NOT JUST SAY THAT?!?!?!

Bryan, I seriously hope that something like this never happens to you because then if it did and you had people calling it a fake...you'd feel the same as she does.

Posted by: Ray Sager | Jul 27, 2012 8:17:04 AM

5. Would 3 men spell it "Dyke" or "Dike"? You know sometimes it's the little things right in front of your face.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jul 27, 2012 8:40:37 AM

6. Would 3 men spell it "Dyke" or "Dike"? You know sometimes it's the little things right in front of your face.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jul 27, 2012 8:40:43 AM

7. Marcus, we don't know how they spelled it.
    That information has not been revealed by the police yet. You need facts before you can make accusations.

Posted by: Johnson | Jul 27, 2012 8:53:47 AM

8. Give Ms. Rogers the benefit of the doubt, everyone who believes this incident was made up. The fact Lincoln police is now all in with regards to classifying this incident as a hate crime tells me that this truly did happen. And in that case, it's yet another tragedy and another remind of what gay life is like in Middle America.

With that being said, Charlie is very brave to come out publicly like this and put the doubts of many to rest, and one can only hope such a graphic and aggressive attack such as this will start making people think. This isn't OK and it's beyond time we all start standing up for our right to live, like Ms. Rogers is doing.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 27, 2012 9:01:14 AM

9. Markus, if an internet troll like you, who does nothing here but criticize, nay-say, and be the voice of doom, can spell "dyke," why shouldn't they be able to?

I have to admit that I had a "wait and see" attitude toward this crime. Violent attacks do happen, and gay people are sometimes targeted. We all know that. But people *have* faked "bias crimes" for attention before so it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that this was another, and there were things about the story, maybe just in the way it was REPORTED, that seemed a little "off."

But seeing her and hearing her speak about it makes me more confident about this.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 27, 2012 9:03:38 AM

10. It scares me some that the first time I read about this... before I even finished the article, I started thinking.. 'hoax' .. and that thought/feeling came, not from this specific story, but because of the handful of these hoaxes perpetrated by attention seeking homos.

THAT makes me sick... and, it makes me feel terrible that because of idiots like that in MY community, it makes me question stories like this.

I WANT to believe she is telling the truth. And if so, I want the men to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

As to Markus... I'm 40 years old and have always seen it written as such.. dyke...

Posted by: theotherlee | Jul 27, 2012 9:06:00 AM

11. There are so many holes here. Why, if you pour gasoline everywhere and plan to burn down the place, would you bother to leave very neatly spray painted messages on the walls?

Posted by: MarkUs | Jul 27, 2012 9:25:12 AM

12. I'm sure when a NOM puppet vandalizes a Chick-fil-A next week, Markus will be the first to blame the "liberals."

Posted by: neptune | Jul 27, 2012 9:33:41 AM

13. I WISH this was a hoax. Does anyone really have to be convinced that some trash people physically assaulted a lesbian? Like it's so far fetched. I really hope they catch the scumbags who did this.

Posted by: des | Jul 27, 2012 9:45:39 AM

14. I still think this is staged.

Posted by: fred74 | Jul 27, 2012 9:45:49 AM

15. WHY, if you plan to burn down the place, would you leave messages on the wall? Let me guess - the gasoline was an afterthought when they found the canister full of it. That people keep in their homes.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jul 27, 2012 9:50:44 AM

16. I'm torn about it. I don't want to revictimize her if it's true. But from time to time, we've seen the occasional hoax from someone who used public support towards victims of hate crimes to get themselves some sympathy (e.g. Tawana Brawley.) If there's a common pattern among hoaxes, it's that they tend to be more elaborate and exaggerated than real hate crimes, the injuries less likely to involve blunt trauma, and there are no independent witnesses. I'm wary of this incident. Let's see how it unfolds - and whether the investigation can uncover corroborating evidence.

Posted by: BZ | Jul 27, 2012 9:57:23 AM

17. Markus, normal people keep gasoline around the house. Most lawn equipment requires it. Also, why would you expect sense from a group of people who thought it was a grand idea to torture a woman?

Posted by: lessthan | Jul 27, 2012 10:40:07 AM

18. I don't think her video really proves anything either way. If the attack was genuine, of course she would be upset and hurt at suspicions and want to speak out. If she was crazy enough to fake an attack for attention, then she would also be crazy enough to go on TV and try to manipulate public opinion.

The only thing that matters here is evidence. Not strident words, not tearful declarations of indignation, not silence, not publicity. Let the police do their jobs.

Posted by: Yeek | Jul 27, 2012 11:05:22 AM

19. Sad woman. I hope she gets help for her psychiatric problems before she hurts herself or others. Maybe if James Holmes had received the aggressive psychiatric help he obviously needed, that Colorado killing spree wouldn't have occurred. We as a society really have to do better with these issues. It certainly seems like more and more people are not developing needed socialization and coping skills, and more and more people appear to live isolated lives cut off from community and family.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 27, 2012 11:06:45 AM

20. Also: it's foolish to expect a logical pattern from attackers crazy enough to do it or someone crazy enough to fake it. No matter what the truth is, a crime has been committed. But it's an irrational crime, and therefore we should not expect evidence of rational decisions.

Posted by: Yeek | Jul 27, 2012 11:11:57 AM

21. "I started thinking.. 'hoax' .. and that thought/feeling came, not from this specific story, but because of the handful of these hoaxes perpetrated by attention seeking homos." THEOTHERLEE

ATTENTION SEEKING HOMOS?!?!?! Really...REALLY???? OMG the things that spew out of trolls mouths and into their collective think. And I suppose she tied herself up and poured gasoline on the floor and spray painted those messages herself? God, you people are sickening!

If you listened to her video she said she felt like she was victimized twice...once by the attackers and then by those who called her integrity into question. She went on to state that she didn't know which one felt worse. Do you people get some sort of sick satisfaction out of watching this woman just fall to pieces having to defend herself against such bastards like you people? Seriously...do you people even KNOW her? Do you know her circumstance? NO, YOU DON'T! Yet...YET you people are willing to jump on this "oh, she faked it...it's all a hoax...it's all staged! bandwagon based on a small handful of "supposed" fake incidents.

I think it is just so hard for these kind of people to wrap their heads around the fact that attacks of this nature do occur to LGBT people almost on a daily basis and just don't get a lot of attention because of this very thing. Or is that the plan of people like you guys...discourage "these people" long enough to the point that their stories become almost unbelievable to the public because homo haters just don't do these elaborate over-the top kind of attacks...only "attention seeking homos" do this to themselves to get attention. RIIIIIIIGHT!

Posted by: Ray Sager | Jul 27, 2012 11:24:25 AM

22. "Sad woman. I hope she gets help for her psychiatric problems before she hurts herself or others". RATBASTASRD

---"it's foolish to expect a logical pattern from attackers crazy enough to do it or someone crazy enough to fake it. No matter what the truth is, a crime has been committed. But it's an irrational crime, and therefore we should not expect evidence of rational decisions." YEEK

@RATBASTARD: First off let's give a warm fuzzy welcome to our resident troll RATBASTARD who has yet again graced us with his "divine" pearls of unasked for wisdom. I've read a lot of his comments on other articles from TR enough to know that RATBASTARD comes without feelings, emotions, or any sense of logic because he feels that all gay people are just 24/7/365 attention seekers that go out and do horrendous stuff to themselves for the thrill of it....YEAH. Now go troll someone elses blog for a change or go back under that rock you call a home...your advice is not wanted here.

Posted by: Ray Sager | Jul 27, 2012 11:35:37 AM

23. @YEEK: What, about this crime, makes it seem so "irrational"? I believe you tried to make this point before when this story first broke out: The way the words were spray painted at what angle suggested to you that a female spray painted it...therefore, in your logic, it was she who did it on her own. What...all the sudden you're a forensic scientist and expert hand writing analyst? REALLY???

Again, I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that would think that this was staged.

Posted by: Ray Sager | Jul 27, 2012 11:44:38 AM

24. I am fending of a strong Tawana Brawley vibe here. We'll have to see how this plays out.

Posted by: Otkon | Jul 27, 2012 11:48:32 AM

25. @otkon Thank you for bringing up Tawana Brawley. Everyone seems to have forgotten about her. Totally agree with you.

Posted by: Pierre | Jul 27, 2012 12:37:21 PM