Comments

1. Caliban says

I’m a fan of both The Daily Show and especially the Colbert Report, but was it *really* necessary for Jon Stewart to reenforce the definition of “gay” as “lame or twee”? Neckerchiefs are “gay”? Boys sewing badges onto a BSA “sash” is “gay”?

Is that really helping the situation any?

That’s one of the reasons why I prefer The Colbert Report over TDS. Stephen Colbert addresses “gay issues” far more often and even though it’s done in a reverse way, his “conservative pundit” character being “homophobic” in a way that exposes the ignorance of homophobia, it never feels tinged with actual homophobia the way TDS often does.

2. Bill says

This kind of feels like John Stewart is making fun of gay people under the guise of making fun of homophobia.

Colbert does this in a far more intelligent manner.

Just because you support the rights of gay citizens doesn’t really give you the right to make fun of them using stereotypes.

Especially during the time that these people are fighting for basic human rights.

3. Bill says

Colbert does this in a far more intelligent manner.

4. Dw says

Jon Stewart and TDS have been the sanest voices against bigotry in all of the media (along with Colbert).
    I think bill and caliban are being a tad too nitpicky here.
    I’m hyper sensitive about “gay” being equated with “gross”, but I feel JS did this boy scouts bit with the right attitude, and I wasn’t in the least offended.

5. James says

You have to take into account that he’s a COMEDIAN. A Comedian’s job is to poke fun at ALL groups. If you were expecting some deep, philosophical excursion into the psychology of homophobia and why its wrong from Jon Stewart, then you are blissfully ignorant of the nature of his job. Its to make you laugh.

6. andrew says

@Bill: Are you serious? Does “these people are fighting for basic human right” tell us that you aren’t one of “these people”? I am one of “these people” GAY and I think Jon Stewart is insightful and funny. Get a sense of humor.