Australia | Boy Scouts | China | Gay Marriage | Julia Gillard | Mexico | Russia | Science | Vladimir Putin

BigGayDeal.com

NEWS: Villains, Vectors, Vladimir

Carl_panzram_1

Towleroad-roadicon From Carl Panzram to Holmes: " ... the truth is,  there will always be another loner with a grudge."

Towleroad-roadicon One girl's escape from sexual slavery:

Forced to use drugs and drink alcohol, Maria says she thought her life would soon end. She was horrified when she saw a very young girl brought into the house where she and others were being kept. She asked the girl how old she was. The answer: eight years old.

Maria says she attempted to escape once. She ran away and asked some police officers on the street for help. What she didn't know was that the officers were on the payroll of the pimp and took her right back into the brothel where she got another savage beating ...

Towleroad-roadicon All-girl Russian punk band faces seven years in prison for protesting Putin in a church.

Towleroad-roadicon Australian Prime Minister halfway explains her opposition to marriage equality during a Google hangout; promises a conscience vote:

One of the more challenging questions came from Shane Bazzi, a 25-year-old Sydneysider who topped the poll on the OurSay.org website with more than 12,700 votes.

He asked the Prime Minister to explain her opposition to gay marriage given she is as an atheist and leader of a "self-described socially progressive party".

"I don't think that heterosexual relationships are more valued than same-sex relationships," the Prime Minister replied.

"I think people who are in loving, commited relationships, all of those relationships should be valued. I think my relationship should be valued and I'm not married."

She said her view about gay marriage was based on its cultural status and differed from Mr Bazzi's.

"These are very individual personal perspectives on the world...This should be a conscience vote in Labor. We will have a vote on changing the marriage act by the end of the year."

Towleroad-roadicon Science shocker: Anal sex is a major vector for HIV transmission.

Towleroad-roadicon "NAACP develops HIV manual for black churches."

Towleroad-roadicon Following the Boy Scouts' vote to continue discriminating against gays, Major League Soccer announces it will cease partnering with the organization.

Towleroad-roadicon Proposed rule from the US Office of Personnel Management would grant benefits to the children of employees' same-sex spouses:

... children will be eligible for coverage if a parent is in a domestic same-sex relationship with a federal employee who receives coverage through federal programs. These children would be eligible for coverage — both under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program and the Federal Employees Dental & Vision Program — regardless of whether or not they’ve been legally adopted by the federal employee.

Firewalk...  Emily Hecht-McGowan, the Family Equality Council’s public policy director, said the proposed rule is important because many LGBT families throughout the country live in states without legal protections.

“Most of the two million children raised by LGBT parents live in states where their parents cannot marry, cannot secure legal ties to their own kids and cannot get their children covered under a health insurance plan,” Hecht-McGowan said. “This rule change means that federal workers can now be assured that a high fever, broken arm or debilitating illness won’t jeopardize their child’s health or their family’s finances.”

Towleroad-roadicon Chinese dictionary writes gayness out of existence

Towleroad-roadicon Feet are burned in a botched Tony Robbins firewalk.

Towleroad-roadicon Gay wedding fatigue:

“The equality people will have a fit about this, but I’ll say it anyway: I have gay-wedding burnout,” Mr. Shields, 35, said one day this spring. “I spent my 20s going to weddings, being in weddings, shopping for weddings, helping to plan weddings. In my early 30s they finally started tapering off, and I was like, ‘Oh, thank God, we’re over the hump.’ ”

He paused for dramatic effect. “Nope. Here come the Gays.”

Comments

1. I'd love to be able to vote on the Prime Minister of Australia's relationship. If you look at the interview, she says nothing about her opposition. She says all relationships should be valued, yet she doesn't want gays to marry? IDIOT! Why anyone would vote for this jerk is beyond me.

Posted by: Brad | Jul 21, 2012 6:31:42 PM

2. She is just a political whore sucking up to the right-wing parties.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 21, 2012 7:46:25 PM

3. The rest of the people who attended the Tony Robbins seminar only got burned financially.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 21, 2012 9:09:05 PM

4. Prime Minister of Australia is a woman. Her cultural status should be at home in her kitchen.

Posted by: simon | Jul 21, 2012 9:16:18 PM

5. I read the last link with the article on Gay wedding burnout.. Too bad there was no place on the NYTimes site for me to comment, because I had A LOT to say.... Will wait until it shows up in a medium that allows comments.

Posted by: NeverEclipsed81 | Jul 21, 2012 9:37:01 PM

6. The gay wedding fatigue story is yet another non story here on Towleroad. We are getting more pointless stories and less news each day.

Of course the guy went to more weddings in his 20's - gay or straight that's when most people get married ! Duh !

More REAL news please Towleroad !

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 21, 2012 11:05:47 PM

7. My first decade with my husband, almost every trip out of state we went on was to some wedding or other. I think we made it to six before WE got to get married.

I'm not going out of state to another one until we could do it again (we're in California).

Posted by: Robert | Jul 21, 2012 11:26:28 PM

8. Poor Mr. Shields. How ever does he bear up under the strain.

Like many men my age, I spent my 20's and 30's going to funerals. I can only imagine how terrible it was for Mr. Shields, having to celebrate people's joy like that, over and over again.

Posted by: We are Here | Jul 22, 2012 12:09:55 AM

9. Then there are the Anarchist Catholics like Guy Fawkes who want to kill the leaders and over throw the government and set up a Christian government, they call themselves Anonymous today.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 22, 2012 12:13:57 AM

10. Anal sex is high risk for HIV infection and walking on hot coals can burn your feet! Oh really now...and also:

"Razors pain you/rivers are damp/ acid stains you/ drugs cause cramp/ guns aren't lawful/ nooses give / gas smells awful/
    you might as well live" Dorothy Parker

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 22, 2012 12:46:21 AM

11. +1 for Uffda

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Jul 22, 2012 1:54:47 AM

12. A conscience vote in this case is a means to defeat the measure. She knows there are enough trade union conservatives in the Labor Party to defeat the measure, even though the party platform is favorable. Without a conscience vote then all Labor MPs would have to vote for equality, which would pass it.

She manipulated this to guarantee a defeat.

Posted by: James Peron | Jul 22, 2012 3:31:48 AM

13. For a long time I thought I didn't like going to weddings because my partner of 27 years and I were excluded from the rite. Now I know I don't like going to weddings because no matter how gloriously or sentimentally the ceremony and reception does or doesn't top the previous wedding we attended, I'm bored by the second dinner course. Then we violate all wedding guest protocol by exiting the party before the blissful couple takes their leave. I am really, really happy for you, just not 5 to 6 hours of happy for you. Maybe the wedding party can maintain that high level of emotion, me, I'd rather take a nap.

Posted by: Gus | Jul 22, 2012 4:58:28 AM

14. OH, Icebloo stop your constant complaining! This was an article about gay marriage in the New York Times, and since this is a site aimed at gay people some of us may have actually found it interesting. That's the good thing about this site...it isn't just hard news, it is a mix of hard, lifestyle, arts and even items that are necessarily "gay".

You seem to have taken it upon yourself to determine for the rest of us what you deem newsworthy. If this site doesn't challenge your high standards enough, there is nothing stopping you from searching out another or starting your own. Or, is it much easier just to b**ch and whine from the sidelines?

Really, with all that is going on in the world today, if this is the biggest thing you have to complain about then life must be pretty good for you there sunshine!

Posted by: DAVE | Jul 22, 2012 5:14:10 AM

15. That should read: and even items that AREN'T necessarily gay.

Posted by: DAVE | Jul 22, 2012 5:16:14 AM

16. Good work! Thanks for cool post.

Posted by: http://dissertationtoday.com/dissertation | Jul 22, 2012 6:27:12 AM

17. @ WE ARE HERE -- you and I must be about the same age -- your comment is exactly what I was thinking. I'll take a wedding over a funeral any day!

Posted by: kit | Jul 22, 2012 9:11:11 AM

18. In case someone didn't get the memo/email, unsafe anal sex is dangerous.

As you were. Carry on.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 22, 2012 2:27:19 PM

19. No one can force you to go to a wedding you don't want to attend, especially if it's out of town and you'd have to spend hundreds of dollars (or more, if it's one of those "destination weddings") to be there. If it's local, find a reason not to go or else just attend the ceremony and skip the reception, which - as Gus says above - is usually endless if you're not having a mini-reunion with old friends you rarely see.

But, even if you don't want to go, there's no reason to be snarky about it: just send a card or gift instead, or better still (since the happy couple usually isn't actually setting up housekeeping for the first time in their lives and thus doesn't really need gifts), make a donation honoring the marriage to an appropriate LGBT cause.

Posted by: Prof Sancho Panza | Jul 22, 2012 4:45:07 PM