Carly Rae Jepsen | Gotye | Music | News

The Gotye 'Call Me Maybe' Mash-Up That May Break the Internet: VIDEO

Pomplamoose

Perhaps we've seen way too much of these tunes this summer already, but those of you thinking that a collision of these tracks might make your head explode (or feel like a glass of cold water thrown in your face) may be pleasantly surprised by this mash-up, rearranged and performed by pop duo Pomplamoose.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

You may recall the group's version of the "Angry Birds" theme song.

(via mashable)

Comments

1. Perhaps we have seen too much of both these songs ? Are you kidding ? Ive heard Call Me maybe more times than my parents speaking.

Posted by: paul | Jul 17, 2012 10:05:11 AM

2. I don't know if I have ever been more annoyed by a song than I am of that "Call Me Maybe" song and I don't even listen to the radio. It makes me want to punch people at random. Next there will be some stupid dance to it.

Posted by: AJ | Jul 17, 2012 10:05:32 AM

3. please will everyone stop all the call me maybe stuff. i can't stand it

Posted by: DanSwon | Jul 17, 2012 10:12:33 AM

4. yall are dating yourselves. lol.

this is a generational thing. we in the under-35 crowd often lurrrrrrrrrve Call Me Maybe!!!

Posted by: oldness | Jul 17, 2012 10:14:42 AM

5. These songs do not work together. When you take the joy out of "Call Me Maybe," you ruin the song.

Posted by: Fodolodo | Jul 17, 2012 10:17:39 AM

6. FODOLODO, i agree 100%.

it would've also worked better if the 2 songs shared a strong thematic link (and even better, a strong titular link). but i dont see one.

unless i'm missing something (and it's possible b/c i've never been keen on that slow song that they mixed in with Call Me Maybe ;-) )

Posted by: oldness | Jul 17, 2012 10:22:07 AM

7. Jack Conte can push my buttons anytime he wants.

Posted by: homer | Jul 17, 2012 10:22:34 AM

8. Call Me maybe is a terrible song. All these 'mash-ups' of it are irritating. It is not a generational thing. I am in my 20s and have good taste in music. I really like Towleroad normally.

Posted by: DanSwon | Jul 17, 2012 10:31:58 AM

9. @Oldness

Please don't speak for other people. I'm 26 and am totally sick of Call Me Maybe.

But then again I also disagree with @Fodolodo. The only reason I don't hate this, and actually kind of like it, is because they change the melody of Call me Maybe.

I appreciate covers that show musical creativity much more than people lip-syncing to the song as i've already heard it a million times.

Posted by: BenR | Jul 17, 2012 10:34:08 AM

10. BENR, i'm just speaking of population-wide averages. i bet if we did a survey 35+ would not like that song as much as under-35. this is about averages, not outliers. 'tis all.

Posted by: oldness | Jul 17, 2012 10:44:56 AM

11. Um, I'm pretty sure most people with a pulse are sick of 'Call Me Maybe'.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 17, 2012 10:49:40 AM

12. Call Me Maybe is ageless.
    The video is...interesting. And HOMER hit the button on the button.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 17, 2012 10:53:59 AM

13. Awful

Posted by: david | Jul 17, 2012 11:17:32 AM

14. If you think that this is what will break the internet you really have to set the bar a bit higher. Like a lot higher.

Posted by: Gigi | Jul 17, 2012 11:18:15 AM

15. never would have guessed that wash a mashup, sounded like a funky music mix @_@

Posted by: luke | Jul 17, 2012 11:27:04 AM

16. @Oldness, I'm 24 and hate "call me maybe." Please god let her be another Rebecca Black and fade into obscurity!

Posted by: Lucas | Jul 17, 2012 11:57:31 AM

17. Im obsessed with Call Me Maybe, I have been from the beginning. Totally overplayed, but that's fine by me, it still makes me squeal, feel 16 again, and wanna flirt real coy like.

Posted by: Blaz | Jul 17, 2012 12:22:34 PM

18. The first time I came across this song was through towleroad when they published it I think precisely because of the guy in the video and after listening to it I was like 'wtf' and also guy looked so weird, dumb and 'lol' that it just burnt me when I saw people going gaga over it. But now I can rest in peace. LOL :)

Posted by: David | Jul 17, 2012 12:32:41 PM

19. Song: meh. Jack Conte: woooooooooooooof.

Posted by: Craig S | Jul 17, 2012 12:59:56 PM

20. hating the overplayed song of the summer how creative...yawn

Posted by: epic | Jul 17, 2012 2:31:04 PM

21. Love it! I think it's a great reinterpretation, and I like seeing Pomplamoose branch off from their video song things. It's a fun idea for a video too.

Posted by: Jack | Jul 17, 2012 4:45:57 PM

22. For some reason, Call Me Maybe has had some staying power with me. Not tired of it yet, though I do skip most tributes and mashups. I just love how it makes me feel...very much a summer song full of light, poppy music. It reminds me a LOT of young Kylie Minogue. So I am in the camp with the hit replay after months of hearing it.

Posted by: llm | Jul 17, 2012 6:00:14 PM

23. The mashup and the video don't really work well together... Sorry TLRD, it's not going to break the internet. Call Me Maybe was/is fun, catchy, and addictive. The issue might be less a generational issue than the simple fact that it is overplayed.(though I'm sure those under 35 probably do enjoy it more, on average) It was fun back in March when it came out. Now that everyone and their mother has done it, it's over. And as for mixes/mashups, personally I found the Levels/Gotye mix from Coachella to be a better choice for blending Somebody I used to know with up tempo music. (http://youtu.be/iVGdOO9bbDE) It didn't break the internet, but it was a better mix for Gotye.

Posted by: phineas | Jul 17, 2012 6:14:14 PM

24. The video is very intriguing...

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 17, 2012 6:34:49 PM

25. ...she only sang one line of Call Me Maybe...that's not a mashup. Did I miss something?

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | Jul 17, 2012 8:00:33 PM