Discrimination | Madonna | Russia

Madonna In St. Petersburg: 'Show Your Love And Appreciation To The Gay Community' - VIDEO

Pink_madonna

As promised, Madonna spoke out for LGBT rights at her concert in St. Petersburg, the Russian city that recently passed a law banning so-called "gay propaganda".

Watch video, AFTER THE JUMP...

"Do we live in fear?" Madonna reportedly asked the audience, who of course responded in the negative.

Reuters offers more details about the demonstration.

Performing in black lingerie with the words "No Fear" scrawled on her bare back, Madonna urged the audience - most wearing pink wrist bands distributed at the door - to "show your love and appreciation to the gay community".

"We want to fight for the right to be free," she said.

The American singer has turned a two-concert tour into a platform for comment on Putin's Russia.

Madonna has also been using her stage to fight for the riot grrrl band Pussy Riot's release from prison.

There's no word on whether officials will try to fine the Material Girl for all this rabble-rousing, but Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin called her a "former whore" — or "slut," depending on one's translation. And even some activists are criticizing the singer.

"One should not mix showbusiness with human rights activism," gay activist Yuri Gavrikov said. "If she wanted to support the LGBT community, she could have ... refused to hold concerts in Russia."

Here's a picture of Gavrikov's one-man protest outside the concert venue:

Gavrikov

Comments

1. I think it's great. Too bad we didn't see this from her in the 80s...

Posted by: Randy | Aug 9, 2012 6:41:35 PM

2. Gavrikov is an insignificant local activist. He shoyuld learn to appreciate the world-wide attentin Madonna brings, and thank her for it. Can HE get a house full of straight young people to their feet on behalf of gay Russians? Didn't think so. It is her popularity that begins the crumbling of that wall.

Posted by: candideinnc | Aug 9, 2012 6:44:33 PM

3. "Too bad we didn't see this from her in the 80s..."

Um...what planet have you been living on?! Madonna has been speaking up for the gay community, and for human rights, almost from the off.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 9, 2012 6:53:06 PM

4. She is once again copying Lady Gaga. This is unfair to our Mother Monster!

Posted by: JasonStefani | Aug 9, 2012 6:55:44 PM

5. @jasonstefani I love both Gaga and Madge and I think you're crazy OR you're a bit naïve. You really think Madge is copying Gaga? Think twice and read a bit of history.

Posted by: Beto | Aug 9, 2012 6:58:25 PM

6. I cannot stand her and the "diva" phenomenon she symbolizes and the feminist mindset she represents.....but, as much as it pains me to say this, she deserves some credit for what she did. It took some guts.....(Did I really just type that? LOL)

Posted by: Rick | Aug 9, 2012 7:01:16 PM

7. sounds like gavrikov fails to appreciate the power of "showbusiness" with activism. if he wants to defeat bigotry in his country, he needs to think outside the box and use weapons in every form, shape and size in the arsenal instead of wishing an international ally simply support his cause from 5000 miles away.

Posted by: JED | Aug 9, 2012 7:02:40 PM

8. I've received actual death threats from actual Lady Gaga fans for criticizing her. Thousands of Lady Gaga fans have serious issues and bully online regularly...

HOWEVER, "JasonStefani" is not really one of those people. It's EdwardDailywhatever from Examiner.com. Look at his post on Examiner, "Madonna gay activism angers Russian conservatives and Gaga fans." It cites two examples of dumb Gaga fans badmouthing Madonna for supporting LGBT rights. One is JasonStefani on Twitter, who had posted exactly TWO tweets as of the time that was written. Both were idiotic and embarrassing insults to Madonna. Kinda strange that Examiner picked that up a tweet from a new user with two tweets and no followers up to that point, right? The other is a comment on Queerty. Now, here is "JasonStefani" posting patently idiotic comments on here.

This Examiner/JasonStefani guy is just trolling to get attention. He plants stuff like that, then writes about it for attention. It's sad.

You'll also see him, using his Examiner.com screen name, trolling Madonna posts on Huffington Post, with equally idiotic content. It's someone who either really wants to embarrass Gaga's fanbase or who gets a thrill out of stirring stuff up. It's really sad.

Posted by: JD | Aug 9, 2012 7:13:53 PM

9. Yawn, this is the same woman who just opened a gym in homophobic Moscow. She's making money from homophobic Russians.

She also kissed Britney to titillate sleazy straight guys, the type of guys who voted against our rights in California during the Prop 8 referendum.

She also has dabbled with a homophobic religion in Kabbalah.

Go away, fake.

Posted by: jason | Aug 9, 2012 7:14:20 PM

10. Jason, you're just ignorant. To call the Kabbalah homophobic is patently absurd.

As so "sleazy straight guys" I wonder if you ever fantasize about making it with a straight guy. And I also wonder if you're so simple minded as to think that Russians are categorically "homophobic."

I think I know who the bigot is--and it AIN'T the blonde.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Aug 9, 2012 7:21:07 PM

11. For those who create a fake contest between Madonna and Lady Gaga, let me give you some advice: they are the same. They are both into using gay men to make money. They utter a few lines of so-called gay support from the safety of their stages but then retire to their mega-mansions which they bought off the back of our devotion.

As a community, isn't it about time we started supporting genuine MEN for a change? I don't see many gay-friendly or openly gay/bisexual men in the music industry. Isn't it about time we MEN promoted and supported MEN for a change?

Posted by: jason | Aug 9, 2012 7:35:38 PM

12. LOL Notice that "Jason's" argument just changed when he was caught.

This should be a lesson to people who post vile things online: disturbed individuals mimic your behavior for kicks. That can't be good.

Posted by: JD | Aug 9, 2012 7:38:59 PM

13. I think that, sometimes, the role of any given artist, is to start a dialogue, or get it going... in that sense, I think what she did is perfectly fine... we r, after all, discussing this.... it is not the role of the artist to provide solutions, answers, funding, etc... art is a means to connect different parts of a given community, promote exchange, and hopefully growth and awareness to something...

this is more than 95% of what's on TV these days...

Posted by: V-8 | Aug 9, 2012 7:39:40 PM

14. If she really gave a damn, why didn't she donate all of the proceeds from the Russian concerts to gay rights groups in Russia? All talk, no action.

Posted by: Phoney | Aug 9, 2012 7:42:45 PM

15. Face it - a lot of you are too girly to support openly gay or bisexual male singers. You seem to prefer bisexual women, fake or otherwise. Talk about being confused....

Posted by: jason | Aug 9, 2012 7:45:04 PM

16. who do u openly support, Jason?

Posted by: V-8 | Aug 9, 2012 7:52:17 PM

17. Yes, everyone definitely picks what music they like based on the political considerations made about the artist who created or performed it. Uh-huh. Pulease.

And all talk, no action? Let's see YOU get one gazillionth amount of action that Madonna gets with one word. Another Pulease for you.

(I'm not even a fan of Madonna, but is anyone REALLY going to COMPLAIN about this? THIS? REALLY?)

Posted by: Zlick | Aug 9, 2012 8:11:09 PM

18. Madonna is really saying "show me the money, show me the money".

Posted by: jason | Aug 9, 2012 8:11:56 PM

19. Zuck,

Madonna has spent her entire career exploiting gay men for money. Her act is actually quite homophobic. She has propped up the sleazy straight guy fantasy by dabbling in lesbianism for the benefit of the type of men who think you and I are gross. She is a fake in my view.

As for those who keep insisting that she's gay-friendly, they are usually pussified gay guys who worship vagina before cock. These gay guys would never in a million years support an openly gay or bisexual male but they would quickly support a fake bisexual female.

This is why gay men are losing the plot. They are supporting the type of women - like Madonna and Lady Gaga - who prop up the sleazy straight guy fantasy for girl-girl action.

Posted by: jason | Aug 9, 2012 8:16:31 PM

20. Growing up in Stuttgart, AR, Madonna was the only visible connection to the gay world. The only one. I keep seeing comments declaring that she has done nothing for us and that she only exploited us, I do not agree at all. You can hate her music, you can hate her politics and all her other attempts to create something to appreciate, but you cannot say that she never reached out to the community and defended us, made us visible to the larger public. If I didn't have the small bit of her pro-gay rights videos, stunts, music, and antics to witness in the news and on MTV before and when I came out at 15 I really don't know what I would have done. I was so alone. There was very few on television saying anything positive about gay people. None that someone my age would have seen or heard. And there was no one my age to turn to at all. I truly enjoy what she tried to do and continues to do. She empowered me at a very young age and for that I am grateful.

As for the rest of the angry, bitter people on this comment section, please find a way to appreciate something. I truly have not seen a gay blog with such a consistently venomous group of people.

Posted by: Michael J. Hildebrand | Aug 9, 2012 8:48:43 PM

21. Michael Hildebrand,

She was your only connection to the gay world? A woman? Puh-lease, you needed to get out more.

Women don't understand male sexuality and never will. They are simply in the business to make money.

Posted by: jason | Aug 9, 2012 8:57:20 PM

22. @ Rick,

My problem is not feminism per se, but rather gay men espousing feminism (or diva worship) to the neglect of ridding society of homophobia. From my everyday observations, American women are completely capable of espousing feminism and lobbying for their rights without any assistance from gay men or anyone else. [Drums: badum bum. Yes, that is a punch line. Cue the laughter.] Forget about divas and concentrate on real heroes. That being said, there have been recent instances when women show guts, e.g. when Gaga led a rally for DADT repeal in front of the White House in 2010, and yes, Madonna's shoutout for gay rights in front of Putin's nose.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Aug 9, 2012 8:59:49 PM

23. Theres a Stuttgart in Arizona?? well, f me... Im in Stuttgart right now. The real one.

Posted by: yadda yadda | Aug 9, 2012 9:00:22 PM

24. YADDA YADDA,
    Stuttgart, Arkansas (AR) not Arizona (AZ) Th small town got it's name from the German city.

Posted by: Michael J. Hildebrand | Aug 9, 2012 9:04:06 PM

25. JD--Edward Daily is not a fake. The posts on HP and others using the name Edward Daily are from a very disturbed girl named Amanda Whelan, who calls herself Superamanda. Read about her here:

She spends her whole day going through Madonna articles in order to make negative posts about her and disguises her name with different screen names. Lately, she has been using real pro-Madonna people and posting with their information. She is also known as Aisha, Winterbrand, and hundreds of other screen names. I wouldn't be surprised if she is JASON from the posts here.

Posted by: JAYADIB | Aug 9, 2012 9:15:53 PM