BigGayDeal.com

News: Matt Bomer, Woolworth, Randy Travis, General Mills

RoadMontauk is being overrun with hipsters.

RoadPastor on trial in Vermont custody case; Lisa Miller still AWOL with child.

WoolworthRoadWoolworth: Soon to be New York's most coveted residential address? "The world’s tallest building when it opened in 1913, the Woolworth Building was called the “Cathedral of Commerce,” its copper-domed tower soaring 792 feet into the skyline. Now, in a $68 million deal made final last week, the tower will be turned into about 40 luxury apartments, including a five-level penthouse in the cupola."

RoadSinger Randy Travis arrested drunk, naked.

RoadJared Polis wins House Democrats social media contest. “House Democrats acquired over 139,000 new Facebook fans, Twitter followers, and YouTube subscribers, which surpasses last year’s total by 82,000."

RoadHairy new web series: Where the Bears Are.

RoadWisconsin Sikh Temple shooter killed himself: "A white supremacist who killed six people at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head after he was shot by a police officer, the FBI said on Wednesday."

RoadCristiano Ronaldo is looking finer than ever.

RoadJoss Whedon signs on to the Avengers sequel.

RachelRoadChick-fil-A drive-thru worker Rachel speaks out about Adam Smith: "I appreciate that he came forward, but I'm definitely interested in speaking with him...I'd really like to know if he could separate the issue from me and the company. The workers have nothing to do with the political beliefs with people in the corporation."

RoadFOX News shifting on gay issues?: "But like the Republican Party, whose leaders have begun to step away from anti-gay positions that are deeply unpopular with younger voters, Fox appears to be feeling pressure both from its younger staff and key audience segments to reflect what polls suggest is a rapidly shifting consensus."

RoadTravis Wall talks to GLAAD about his new dance reality show All The Right Moves: "I never thought I was in the public eye enough to ever make a statement that 'Oh, Travis Wall’s gay.'  I live my life the way I live it, and everyone who’s known me knows I’ve never been in.  There’s never been a moment where I have been pretending to be straight or anything like that.  I just didn’t know that I was that big of a draw or that I should have made a statement.  So, when I unconsciously was like, 'Oh, I have a boyfriend, and I’m so excited,' and I started tweeting it, everyone was like, 'Oh, Travis Wall just came out,' and I’m like, 'Oh wait, I came out? When was I in?'  I never knew that, you know, that was the situation."

RoadIt's a new preview for the upcoming X-Factor with Britney Spears.

RoadThe General Mills arsonist was fired.

RosasRoadJacques Rosas exhibit opens in New York.

RoadNOM claims that General Mills new website, Live Better America, in cooperation with America Online and Everyday Health, is a cover for the frightening homosexual agenda.

RoadLittle Britain's Matt Lucas joining Community: "Lucas will appear in multiple episodes as a history professor who used to teach at Oxford and whose commitment to academic rigor is a challenge to the community college’s learning environment."

RoadBret Easton Ellis thinks Matt Bomer's too gay to play Christian Grey.

RoadDavid Halperin: How to be Gay. “Gayness,” Mr. Halperin declares, “is not a state or condition. It’s a mode of perception, an attitude, an ethos: in short, it is a practice.” The great value of traditional gay male culture, he further posits, perhaps even more challengingly, “resides in some of its most despised and repudiated features: gay male femininity, diva worship, aestheticism, snobbery, drama, adoration of glamour, caricature of women and obsession with the figure of the mother.”

Comments

1. I guess it is safe to say Bret Easton Ellis never watched White Collar.

Posted by: Syrax | Aug 8, 2012 4:06:33 PM

2. @ Bret Easton Ellis, I guess that's why they call it acting you tool. Or do you think that Christian Bale really is Batman?

Posted by: Laura | Aug 8, 2012 4:17:39 PM

3. working for a company that promotes hate is promoting hate. sorry drive through lady, but it does have to do with the workers. if i worked for a company which donated millions to anti-semitic causes, or whos ceo funneled charity money into anti-miscegenation front groups, it is my problem -- im not in the kkk, but i work as their receptionist.

Posted by: mld | Aug 8, 2012 4:29:11 PM

4. the one thing i'll say for hipsters is that their children always seem to be better behaved in restaurants than non-hipsters' kids.

Posted by: alguien | Aug 8, 2012 4:30:49 PM

5. The Dakota will always be the most coveted address in NYC. Next to 740 Park, of course.

Posted by: DrJWL | Aug 8, 2012 4:41:19 PM

6. RE: David Halperin: How to be Gay

The original ideal of what it IS to be "gay" was always a contrivance, a put-on, a phony mask based on a twisted character in an old flick...

Sounds about right. I always hated anything to do with it.

Posted by: NVTodd | Aug 8, 2012 5:07:00 PM

7. David Halperin sounds like a gay man of a particular age. I believe what is known as "eldergay". Many younger gay man don't want to constantly obsess over women and campy movies about women. Younger gay men don't want to be distinguishable from straights and I for one applaud this.

Posted by: Marty | Aug 8, 2012 5:07:12 PM

8. I don't buy anything Travis Wall just said.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 8, 2012 5:23:57 PM

9. David halperin-- don't know who he is- and don't care. But he certainly doesn't know much about gay people.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Aug 8, 2012 5:32:05 PM

10. David Halperin: Yuck.

His "book" shows an attitude from a generation of gay men that is ready for the nursing home. Gay men broke away from those horrible stereotypes and learned behaviors a long, long time ago.

Why? Because they aren't necessary. Gay is about genetics and sexual preference, not what you're wearing, who your watching and where you're going.

Go back to sleep now, Davie, we'll wake you up when Golden Girls comes on.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 8, 2012 5:39:18 PM

11. Go to hell, David Halperin. You and anyone like you.....

Go to hell and rot there for all eternity, you pathetic--and deeply emotionally damaged--woman-idolizing, man-hating piece of sh!t......

I only hope that I live long enough to see the "gay culture" you describe--and its practitioners--become permanently extinct.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 8, 2012 5:55:06 PM

12. Saying that antigay General Mills fire starter "got fired"? He still has a radio show I bet and has a realtor's license still. So he can't be a part of whatever association, big deal. Wonder how long he's been on the radio while a member of it. "Fired" means taking him off the radio and taking his realtor's license I would think, neither has happened.

Posted by: MarkUs | Aug 8, 2012 5:59:40 PM

13. From the Bret Easton Ellis Wikipedia entry: "When asked in an interview in 2002 whether or not he was gay, Ellis explained that he does not identify himself as gay or straight. He explained that he is comfortable to be thought of as gay, bisexual or heterosexual and that he enjoys playing with his persona, identifying variously as gay, straight and bi to different people over the years." Oh. So he's an actor but nobody buys his shtick?

Whatever, honey. If I want to know your opinion, I'll check out one of your books from the library.

Posted by: Glenn I | Aug 8, 2012 6:02:48 PM

14. Now that would be an address whats next the...Chrysler building!

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Aug 8, 2012 6:05:36 PM

15. Brett Easton Ellis is a gay guy who hates gay people so much that he once wrote a book about the fashion/modeling industry in which he pretended that everyone in the business is straight. the only gay character in the main story (who ISN'T a model) is killed in a horrible, sadistic way That was written back when Ellis was still pretending HE was straight. He disgusts me beyond words. I guess he's still not over himself.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Aug 8, 2012 6:13:38 PM

16. Manhattan has been completely taken over by the super-rich--many of them absentee foreigners--to the point that it has become a sterile, uninteresting place that is no longer worth spending any time in, except to attend a performance of some sort or see a museum exhibit.....and the conversion of the Chrysler Building to obscenely priced apartments just symptomizes that.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 8, 2012 6:17:00 PM

17. The bears look hot and funny

Posted by: jaragon | Aug 8, 2012 6:30:36 PM

18. Rick said what my inarticulate gut instinct felt.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Aug 8, 2012 6:37:39 PM

19. David Halperin is an intelligent and thoughtful writer. One-Hundred Years of Homosexuality is a must read. I still prefer Boswell, but...

I think that people might want to read what the man actually writes before condemning him to Hell and accusing him of every evil ever committed. Some folks really don't know what they are talking about and they sound like morons. The curse of the internet age.

Posted by: Kevin | Aug 8, 2012 6:49:42 PM

20. That is so sad about Randy Travis. I loved his early records. There was always a rumor that he was gay, and, if true, I've got to think that's what's feeding this self-destructive binge. He was probably raised in a seriously homophobic family.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Aug 8, 2012 7:03:49 PM

21. And as for the BEE comment about Bomer, I have to say that I'll support almost anything that keeps Bomer from being cast in the movie of that stupid stupid book.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Aug 8, 2012 7:05:20 PM

22. Poor Mr Reverend, another career ruined by burning grass. Now we have to get him fired from his job talking to "The Lord".

Posted by: Iwontgrowup | Aug 8, 2012 7:14:41 PM

23. Not interested in Halperin's book. There's something great about certain aspects of gay sensibilities, but not so about old-school gay culture. Oh, it's fun to recall - but I'm so glad that is not going to be the dominant gay culture for anyone going forward in the 21st century. Good riddance.

I AM interested in living in the penthouse of the Woolworth Building. That would be rad. So would being so super-rich that I could afford such a thing.

Posted by: Zlick | Aug 8, 2012 7:59:19 PM

24. Without "old school gay culture" you'd be married to a woman and sucking cock in highway rest stops for solace.

Posted by: BobN | Aug 8, 2012 8:27:24 PM

25. What Halperin doesn't get (or won't admit) is that many of those kinds of gay men were rejected by traditional male culture or themselves refused to embrace their own masculinity so they embraced feminity by default. The evolution of gay male culture should naturally be to embrace the masculine...and reject the feminine. Gay men will only survive and PROSPER if they embrace their own masculine power and alliance with other men (gay and straight).
    Those gays who, for lack of a better word, are "frustrated women" hold us all back...

Posted by: Marty | Aug 8, 2012 8:52:24 PM