Gay Marriage | Novak Djokovic | Sports | Tennis

Boy Asks Novak Djokovic to Marry Him at U.S. Open Practice: VIDEO

Djokovic

When a boy in the stands shouted "Djokovic, will you marry me?" to the tennis champ at a U.S. Open practice session this week, Nole invited the kid out for a few serves, and a hug.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What a lovely gesture by Novak. I've always liked him. He's from Serbia, which is generally not a gay-friendly country. However, he seems to be a very nice personality, which means that he is nice to people in general.

Posted by: jason | Aug 28, 2012 10:49:35 AM

2. Nole is so cool! between him & John Isner tennis is becoming real again and not soap opera with the whiners & groaners & effete snobbery...

Posted by: mike/ | Aug 28, 2012 10:52:39 AM

3. Sorry, son, Novak is MINE.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 28, 2012 11:07:20 AM

4. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what true class looks like. Too bad so many attending at the Republican National Convention could never show that type of class.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Aug 28, 2012 11:26:25 AM

5. This makes be have hope for Serbia in the future regarding the status of LGBTs there.

Posted by: Norman | Aug 28, 2012 11:39:38 AM

6. You see!? You see!? This is EXACTLY what happens when same-sex marriage becomes legal!

More kids will want to play tennis!

Don't say we weren't warned!

Posted by: james | Aug 28, 2012 11:54:38 AM

7. Classy person. :)

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 28, 2012 12:03:16 PM

8. However, sadly I couldn't stop but think of some of the NFL players. Does intensity of homophobia depends upon which sport are you in? Just asking.

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 28, 2012 12:07:09 PM

9. I love this man. He has such a great spirit (and if any tennis player should be doing underwear ads, it's Djokovic).

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 28, 2012 12:15:10 PM

10. 49ers just did an "It Gets Better" video. Individual pro players have supported gay marriage since the national push started. There is kindness in this world. What do you say we all try not to spoil a beautifully unifying moment with negativity. I'm usually a cranky guy, but this was way cool.

Posted by: parkrunner | Aug 28, 2012 12:20:56 PM

11. True, that's why I said 'I sadly couldn't refrain' and btw I didn't say about all (some) NFL players either. Talking about negativity? Be compassionate human.

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 28, 2012 12:47:12 PM

12. Kudos to Djokovic and kudos to the 10 year old boy who is brave and self confident enough to publically ask a male tennis star to marry him! The times they are a changing - for the better.

Posted by: KP | Aug 28, 2012 12:55:16 PM

13. Menschen.

Posted by: David R. | Aug 28, 2012 1:21:46 PM

14. nice gesture on Djokovic's part.

Meanwhile, back in Serbia, he's a VERY active member of the Serbian Orthodox church, which is VERY anti-gay.

Posted by: keating | Aug 28, 2012 1:25:14 PM

15. @Alejo
    "However, sadly I couldn't stop but think of some of the NFL players. Does intensity of homophobia depends upon which sport are you in? Just asking."

This "lovely gesture" is a reflection on ONE male tennis player named Novak Djokovic and no one else. We don't know what would have happened if this kid had asked some OTHER male tennis player to marry him, do we?

And, as someone else has already pointed out, the 49ers just did an "It gets Better" video and individual NFL players have supported marriage equality.

Posted by: elg/edwin | Aug 28, 2012 1:28:35 PM

16. Damn, that 10 year old kid has a much better serve than I do. :-(

Good for Djokovic, he handled that really well.

I'm glad the US Open has started, it's a dead time in the sports calendar.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Aug 28, 2012 1:41:52 PM

17. That was sweet and Djokovic handled it perfectly. The boy may or may not be gay but he is a smart kid who knows how to get attention.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 28, 2012 2:36:37 PM

18. That just made him all the more hotter!

Posted by: Marco P | Aug 28, 2012 2:59:37 PM

19. @ELG/EDWIN:
    "Does intensity of homophobia depend upon which sport are you in? Just asking."
    Firstly, isn't that a question out of sheer curiosity? I mean from when does interrogative sentences have become assertions carrying negativity? I am sorry to say but it's all in your mind. It's how you see and interpret it.

Secondly, even by asking if it depend upon sports or not I didn't mean to single out the NFL players but was only curious if it's psychologically viable that 'the more the sport is ruthless, the more a sport is ruthless, the more the players would be POSSIBLY insensate.

Thirdly, true it's just a ONE person's gesture but certainly If you read it again you would find that I was taking about homophobia and not homophilia. They are two different things. Though I might not be able to give examples of TENNIS players who are overly or overtly supporting the LGBT but I can certainly name more names of the NFL players who are quite anti-LGBT.

Fourthly, I never that all NFL players are homophobes but I specifically said 'some' said go which is still far from making a vague statement as saying, 'NFL players are homophobes', and certainly as "And, as someone else has already pointed out, the 49ers just did an "It gets Better" video", then you didn't need to point that out again. I already know it and I appreciate it but as I said I didn't say for all NFL players 'coz it's always possible to have good people everywhere.

So, form now instead of reading into things if you guys would please kindly go and educate yourselves about the mathematical concept of probability and the psychology of human mind then possibly, both of us would be able to save our time.

Posted by: Alejo | Aug 28, 2012 3:19:39 PM

20. This article made me cry.

Posted by: "The Gay" | Aug 28, 2012 3:37:06 PM

21. I don't know anything about tennis or Novak Djokovic, but how awesome was that? Seems like a great guy.

Posted by: Thomas | Aug 28, 2012 4:50:57 PM

22. @ALEJO blow it out your ass will ya? save the social graces talk for another thread. this was a sweet moment. and assholes like you just love to turn a positive into a negative.

Posted by: orbit319 | Aug 28, 2012 6:42:46 PM

23. @ALEJO blow it out your ass will ya? save the social graces talk for another thread. this was a sweet moment. and assholes like you just love to turn a positive into a negative.

Posted by: orbit319 | Aug 28, 2012 6:42:47 PM

24. I've always loved his a-bit-bad-boy image since he started. Now I just love him a bit more. Wishing him the best in the open.

Posted by: Alfred | Aug 28, 2012 6:43:15 PM

25. Cute video! The kid's got a pretty good serve too! I was impressed all around.

Posted by: aneas taint | Aug 28, 2012 7:01:19 PM