American Idol | Music | Music Video | News | Olympics | Phillip Phillips

Phillip Phillips' 'Home' Video: WATCH

Phillips

The first single given to this year's American Idol winner has exploded in sales since becoming the theme song for NBC's Olympic gymnastics coverage. It's also a peaceful way to start your day.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This song is so peaceful, it almost sent me to sleep. Yawn, if I need to sleep, I'll read a good book.

Posted by: jason | Aug 3, 2012 7:40:20 AM

2. Why do queens on here have to be so bitchy?

Posted by: Rick Roberts | Aug 3, 2012 8:55:36 AM

3. I like this song. I guess it's peaceful, but I'd probably describe it as upbeat, hopeful, and catchy. I found myself bouncing along to the rhythm. And I really like Phillips' voice.

Good song.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Aug 3, 2012 9:01:53 AM

4. I really enjoyed that. I've never been a huge Idol fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed Phillip Phillip's rise on the show. Truly a talented musician.

Posted by: Kyle | Aug 3, 2012 9:03:19 AM

5. Vom.

Posted by: AJ | Aug 3, 2012 9:04:38 AM

6. This is the first I've heard it; what a warm, embracing, loving song...and voice.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Aug 3, 2012 9:10:29 AM

7. RICK R - it's endemic to the species and Jason is especially well known for it. I join it too often myself because it's also kinda fun. But it's nice to get away and good to be called on it as well. Best.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 3, 2012 9:11:14 AM

8. Love it! Great voice and the song is peaceful <3

Posted by: Josh | Aug 3, 2012 9:15:35 AM

9. This is by far the best American Idol "winners" single they've produced. The others always sound like some syrupy platitude laced dribble.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 3, 2012 9:22:32 AM

10. Could his name be more boring?

Posted by: AJ | Aug 3, 2012 9:26:29 AM

11. AJ, I guess it could be as boring as your inane contribution to the conversation... there again... no!

Posted by: CKNJ | Aug 3, 2012 9:30:46 AM

12. I think this song is beautiful.
    I think he is handsome.
    I think his voice is sexy as hell.

Have a good Friday, everyone.

Posted by: mark | Aug 3, 2012 9:39:49 AM

13. Like it.

Sort of reminds a bit of OneRepublic.

Posted by: Continuum | Aug 3, 2012 10:12:10 AM

14. I'm a terrible person. I admit I didn't listen to the song based solely on my seething hatred for country bumpkin-a55 homophobic BS American Idol. I am bored at work so I listened to it and I HEART IT! This dude has actually got talent and it's the best first song by any of them. But I STILL think his name is boring. LOL

Posted by: AJ | Aug 3, 2012 10:43:44 AM

15. I became bored with PP on Idol. As the competition went on I thought his songs all started sounding the same. I thought he was too "one note" to be interesting long-term, but I LOVE this song! Beautiful, touching and performed very well.

Well done Phillip!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 3, 2012 11:03:25 AM

16. @AJ - I think that his name is a bit odd, although his father has the same name as well.

However, he's got a number of nicknames, that he revealed on one of the shows. The one that I really like is "Phillip squared".

Posted by: JAMES in Toronto | Aug 3, 2012 11:28:06 AM

17. @AJ - I think that his name is a bit odd, although his father has the same name as well.

Posted by: JAMES in Toronto | Aug 3, 2012 11:28:07 AM

18. @rick roberts,
    What's ironic is that your post fits more accurately into the bitchy catagory than Jason's post. I think Jason's post was a pretty mild way of saying he thought the song was boring; what, someone can't even voice their option on a consumer based "product" without some queen getting up on her soapbox? Lighten up! Not everything has to be glitter and rainbows. Take a deep breath everything will be alright.

Posted by: Don | Aug 3, 2012 11:34:09 AM

19. My favorite song of the year. It is beautifully written, and his even more moving with the slightly gloomy Americana video. Well done, Phillip!

Posted by: Tarc | Aug 3, 2012 12:15:41 PM

20. As nice as Mr. Philips is, he doesn't have blockbuster talent. American Idol has truly jumped the shark as none of the most recent "winners" were the most talented or most successful. The core of the problem is the voting system that allows multiple voting per account or telephone. With that, pre-teen girls have consistently voted for "guys with a guitar" or other such vanila fantasies of adolescents and pre-adolescents.

It's time to retire American Idol, or, to revamp the voting system.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 3, 2012 1:01:38 PM

21. I don't think there's anything special about it. It's ok. I certainly wouldn't buy it. I think it's great to see fresh young talent in the spotlight though.

Posted by: Brad | Aug 3, 2012 1:06:02 PM

22. We avoided Idol this year, but I'm glad to hear that they have produced yet another artist may have the potential to live up to Clarkson, Lambert, and Underwood, and who may be more than just a flash in the pan.

Posted by: Chris Waddling | Aug 3, 2012 1:09:29 PM

23. I mean, he has a sound like Dave Matthews. It's not supposed to be "jump out of your seat and dance" music. I like this song

Posted by: reality | Aug 3, 2012 1:22:31 PM

24. @Brian in Texas, I was going to write the same thing about "Home" being one of the best "out-of-the-gate" singles for an AI winner. Phillip performed this single on the last night of performances and it really stood out to me. The fact that it has been used as the background music for the US Olympics Women's team background stories could help launch this single to a top 10 hit, if it hasn't already.

Phillip did say that his music won't be indicative of this sound and style, which is unfortunate. I like "Home" much better than most of the stuff he sang live. He is very talented, though, and I can see him doing well long term. His music and style plays well to men and women.

Posted by: MattS | Aug 3, 2012 3:36:38 PM